Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Will Rebirth decline and have to be rebooted, like New 52 was?

Will Rebirth decline and have to be rebooted, like New 52 was?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Inevitably...but hopefully, not for at least thirty years.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Sales right now are reaching the point that they were at before Rebirth with most titles. Worse for some like Batgirl. The Rebirth storyline culminates in 2018, and I fully expect another relaunch then, though I'd prefer that they didn't.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

With the current regime, they'll likely reboot every time there's a dip in sales.
    The Big Red Button is too tempting for them.

So, yes, if the current management is still in power in five years, there will either be another reboot or a major Crisis-level event that resets 90% of the universe.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Hopefully they just relaunch instead of rebooting. The New 52 created more problems than solved by completely restarting continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Will Rebirth decline and have to be rebooted, like New 52 was?
    Rebirth didn't fully "reboot" New 52. They've just been messing with what has and hasn't changed, and at present much of what happened in the New 52 is still the basic template they've been working off of.

Doesn't everything get rebooted or relaunched eventually?

I'd like to think Rebirth has taught DC that you can find a way to reinvigorate a line and continue in a stronger direction without having to wholesale reboot again, so I hope they keep that in mind the next time sales are in a slump.

But I also think, with Rebirth, DC is in a stronger place then they were in New 52 so I don't think the decline will be as steep. But that might just be a lot of optimism on my part.

Well Rebirth is not a reboot it is simply mixing everything together and making up an excuse to fix the messed up timeline however there will most likely be a relaunch. I think there won't be a full reboot for the next few years or like 5-10 years.

DC's usual track record suggests that yes, it will decline, and some major event will shake things up.

They've done a good job so far though, so maybe it will be quite a while this time around.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I may sound optimistic but I really think DC learned their lesson in rebooting too much and will just stick to relaunching.

They should reboot every 5 years or so. Batman should have a new Robin every 2.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    DC's usual track record suggests that yes, it will decline, and some major event will shake things up.

They've done a good job so far though, so maybe it will be quite a while this time around.
    Major events is how I see it, doesn't necessarily have to be a retcon-filled reboot/relaunch. The button story will keep periodically boosting sales imo.

Almost guaranteed. Once the "back to basics" approach gets stale they will try something "new and different" again. And thus the cycle repeats.

Heaven forbid creators be allowed to just move characters forward to keep them interesting. I miss the days when character development dictated overall continuity, not the other way around.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Unless Marvel has a huge successful rebranding and DC is pushed to do something similarly to how DCYou kinda flubbed
    You won't see a major reboot
    Although the new 52 happened because DC was doing badly sales wise compared to marvel and the higher ups demanded something be done