Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Feminine male characters in comics?

Are there any comics out there where any of the main characters is either a gay or bi male character who acts and looks feminine? Without it being an annoying flamboyant stereotype, and without it being a transgender woman like Lord Fanny?

And no, Wiccan from Young Avengers doesn't count. Sure, he ACTS fairly feminine, but his outfit and general appearance is at best gender neutral. I mean a male character you could actually mistake for a girl, but still identifies as a male.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Plenty of them in manga, but I'm hard pressed to think of one in American comics, where if a male character is blatantly feminine, its pretty much always an annoying stereotype.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Plenty of them in manga, but I'm hard pressed to think of one in American comics, where if a male character is blatantly feminine, its pretty much always an annoying stereotype.
    Even Japan sucks at it. They just make their faces feminine, and their haircuts sometimes too... that's about it. The way male anime characters act is always strictly masculine, unless they do jokes with it.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurvosVicky View Post
    Even Japan sucks at it. They just make their faces feminine, and their haircuts sometimes too... that's about it. The way male anime characters act is always strictly masculine, unless they do jokes with it.
    Hmm... I thought I had some good examples, but even those characters have moments of camp or "traditional masculinity" as it were, so I suppose you're right.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Hmm... I thought I had some good examples, but even those characters have moments of camp or "traditional masculinity" as it were, so I suppose you're right.
    Yeah, I thought so...... oh well.

I'm not really sure what you are conceiving when talking about a male character who looks feminine without being at least a little flamboyant about it. Can you cite some real world example?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Amazing Member

I didn't say they couldn't be a little flamboyant. I just said I don't want them to be an annoying flamboyant STEREOTYPE of a gay character or so.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Zetsubou-sensei (Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei)

Hibiki Amawa (I My Me Strawberry Eggs)

Mariya Shidō (Maria†Holic)

Mizuho Miyanokouji (Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru)

Jun Watarase (Happiness!)

Narumi Inoue (Maid in Japan)
    I said comics, not mangas. Also, there's no proper gay stuff in Japanese stuff. Well, outside of exploitative crap like yaoi. But I'm talking about comics - the ones with color, made by a country that doesn't live in Ancient Greece when it comes to gender roles.

Quote Originally Posted by KurvosVicky View Post
    I said comics, not mangas.
    Nothing in the definition of comics specifies what country they can come from. Manga is a subset of comics.

You're being very confrontational in your replies to people's responses.

Without any real life examples to go by I'm hard pushed to know what you're going for here. I can't think of anyone in the real world who fits your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Nothing in the definition of comics specifies what country they can come from. Manga is a subset of comics.

Without any real life examples to go by I'm hard pushed to know what you're going for here. I can't think of anyone in the real world who fits your requirements.
    Maybe RuPaul?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Amazing Member

Yeah, because comics only depict grounded in reality stuff, right? Also, there are plenty of androgynous crossdressers in real life.

Either he is trying to prove a point, or he is waiting on a response that allows him naturally go off on his soap box about something or try and promote something.

In either case, it's probably just best to back away slowly, nod, smile, and run far away.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Invincible Member

The lead character from Alters written by Paul Jenkins. I'm at work so I can't hunt for scans now, but I'm sure someone can post an image.

BANNED

in american comics, you'd probably be hard pressed to find that

Yuri On Ice (anime series) has a couple

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Maybe RuPaul?
    Yah I was wondering about RuPaul as a possibility. Off the top of my head, not many are coming to mind in real life.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.