Page 223 of 308 FirstFirst ... 123173213219220221222223224225226227233273 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 4616

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Am I correct in my understanding that Reeva Payge is such a minor obscure character that she has only appeared on-panel (or even been referenced by other characters) in literally 1 issue ever?

If so, I am a bit troubled by the decision to turn that into a major character for this show... it's almost like a sneaky way to just introduce an OC
    Who was actually a member of the Hellfire Club.

What's the problem?

I'm not saying the character will be bad in the show or anything, we'll see, I assume she'll be awesome actually. But yeah I just wish they used characters with you know... like... multiple issues of appearances at least. Is that too high of a bar ?
    Probably.

Doing that just to do it is the exact opposite of what any show should be doing.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 06-10-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Who was actually a member of the Hellfire Club.

What's the problem?
    See above. (or previous page now)
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

There's "minor".... and then there is "SUPER minor" you know? Like I would say probably Sage is a relatively minor character from the comics all things considered. Hell, you could really lump the Cuckoos as minor as well if you wanted probably. Blink strictly comics speaking is also kind of minor, but her movie role in DoFP bumps her up a lot from that. Some people even say Polaris is minor but I'd say she is more between minor and major. Thunderbird should count as minor but his very brief appearances were in super iconic issues so that kind of evens it out.

I guess, like I said, it's basically making an OC when there is so little context for who the character is or what they're about. That's what I don't like about it, it's kind of trying to have it both ways where you can say you're adopting from the canon but only just barely really

I'm not saying the character will be bad in the show or anything, we'll see, I assume she'll be awesome actually. But yeah I just wish they used characters with you know... like... multiple issues of appearances at least. Is that too high of a bar ?
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting more well known characters on the show, however, you have to remember that Matt Nix had to really push to even get Lorna on the show. I'm sure they're pretty strict with who can and can't be used. Reeva probably seems like the right type of character to use. She's a mutant, who's connected to the Hellfire Club, holding the mantel of the Black Queen, and can fill out the ranks of the Club. With her being such a non-character, its easy to assume that there was no problem with them using her, and is probably easier to plan using this character in the plot, instead of perhaps going for a much better known character that might not get approved.

I doubt she'll be the only new addition to the show. Maybe we'll see someone like Shinobi Shaw pop up. Reeva was involved with his incarnation of the Hellfire Club, and with this show having a focus on legacy, him being the son of Sebastian could make him an interesting addition.

There's "minor".... and then there is "SUPER minor" you know? Like I would say probably Sage is a relatively minor character from the comics all things considered. Hell, you could really lump the Cuckoos as minor as well if you wanted probably. Blink strictly comics speaking is also kind of minor, but her movie role in DoFP bumps her up a lot from that. Some people even say Polaris is minor but I'd say she is more between minor and major. Thunderbird should count as minor but his very brief appearances were in super iconic issues so that kind of evens it out.

I guess, like I said, it's basically making an OC when there is so little context for who the character is or what they're about. That's what I don't like about it, it's kind of trying to have it both ways where you can say you're adopting from the canon but only just barely really

Not much different then Dreamer to the extent I forgot she even existed before The Gifted, but Nix gave her life and did something important with her to the extent a future comic writer might even bring her back in the comics. I see it kind of the same way here.

That brings up a big question is the new actress a regular under normal contract or is it as a reoccurring?

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Not much different then Dreamer to the extent I forgot she even existed before The Gifted, but Nix gave her life and did something important with her to the extent a future comic writer might even bring her back in the comics. I see it kind of the same way here.

That brings up a big question is the new actress a regular under normal contract or is it as a reoccurring?
    Wikipedia seems to indicate a regular but not sure if it's correct

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting more well known characters on the show, however, you have to remember that Matt Nix had to really push to even get Lorna on the show. I'm sure they're pretty strict with who can and can't be used. Reeva probably seems like the right type of character to use. She's a mutant, who's connected to the Hellfire Club, holding the mantel of the Black Queen, and can fill out the ranks of the Club. With her being such a non-character, its easy to assume that there was no problem with them using her, and is probably easier to plan using this character in the plot, instead of perhaps going for a much better known character that might not get approved.

I doubt she'll be the only new addition to the show. Maybe we'll see someone like Shinobi Shaw pop up. Reeva was involved with his incarnation of the Hellfire Club, and with this show having a focus on legacy, him being the son of Sebastian could make him an interesting addition.
    Yes thank you for understanding my point. That's why I initially thought she would be playing Frenzy. Frenzy is an example of a character who *deserves* a live-action adaptation and will obviously not get one in the movies anytime in the near future, so there is no reason for FOX to deny using such in this show. I also think I heard Callisto will be in this season, she certainly is in this area of "deserves more exposure".

As far as Shinobi Shaw no idea but I agree with your point about continuing the "legacy" theme sure.

The other thing that kind of bothers me a bit about how Reeva Payge was a Black Queen... isn't that what we're thinking Lorna is shooting to become in the show? I don't know if I want that kind of conflict but perhaps it could be good for our girl. When they say Reeva will have "an elite band of followers" maybe she is going to be the first actual member of this show's Inner Circle itself to appear? And help to guide our relatively Hellfire "newbies"? So there would be an implied hierarchy at work perhaps there regarding Polaris/Cuckoos/Andy. We'll see how that goes, the description for the show also said Reeva would "work alongside" Polaris et al though. So I'm just very unsure. And yeah this is all wild speculation I know
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 06-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

TVline said that the role was for a series regular, but I haven't seen other websites go with that. So I think the jury's still out on that one.

Yes thank you for understanding my point. That's why I initially thought she would be playing Frenzy. Frenzy is an example of a character who *deserves* a live-action adaptation and will obviously not get one in the movies anytime in the near future, so there is no reason for FOX to deny using such in this show. I also think I heard Callisto will be in this season, she certainly is in this area of "deserves more exposure".

As far as Shinobi Shaw no idea but I agree with your point about continuing the "legacy" theme sure.

The other thing that kind of bothers me a bit about how Reeva Payge was a Black Queen... isn't that what we're thinking Lorna is shooting to become in the show? I don't know if I want that kind of conflict but perhaps it could be good for our girl. When they say Reeva will have "an elite band of followers" maybe she is going to be the first actual member of this show's Inner Circle itself to appear? And help to guide our relatively Hellfire "newbies"? So there would be an implied hierarchy at work perhaps there regarding Polaris/Cuckoos/Andy. We'll see how that goes, the description for the show also said Reeva would "work alongside" Polaris et al though. So I'm just very unsure. And yeah this is all wild speculation I know
    On this...

- While I'd agree that there are probably plenty of characters from the "X" corner of things that deserve/have a justifiable case for them making it into a live action setting, that doesn't mean that there would be a logical place for them in the story that they intend on telling.

That leaves you with an obvious choice. Should you force them into a narrative where there might not be a place for them just so you can see them on screen?

- As for Reeva and how she fits into things, there's so much that is currently an unknown when it comes to that. Could work out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On this...

- While I'd agree that there are probably plenty of characters from the "X" corner of things that deserve/have a justifiable case for them making it into a live action setting, that doesn't mean that there would be a logical place for them in the story that they intend on telling.

That leaves you with an obvious choice. Should you force them into a narrative where there might not be a place for them just so you can see them on screen?

- As for Reeva and how she fits into things, there's so much that is currently an unknown when it comes to that. Could work out just fine.
    The thing is the story one intends to tell can be shaped by the inspiration that flows from initial character ideas though

OBEY

The thing is the story one intends to tell can be shaped by the inspiration that flows from initial character ideas though
    Sure.

That said, should the story they intend on telling have to be compromised to fit characters folks would like to see in?

I'd say no. I'd much rather see them tell the story they intend to tell than to have to make an attempt at pleasing fans of the source material when it comes to this.

Too many folks who are going to have something they are disappointed about no matter how much work you put into trying to please them.

If the new character starts out as the Black Queen I do give high odds of her losing her crown sometime along the line.

But, if Lorna starts out already one of the Queens she is the one who is going to have the be watching her chair as staying on top of a revolutionary movement requires being able to put down upstarts as they reach for the reigns of power.

The show deserves its creative freedom that it has. I hope it manages to do political Lorna justice in a way the comics haven’t in a long time.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-10-2018 at 07:14 PM.

BANNED

Am I correct in my understanding that Reeva Payge is such a minor obscure character that she has only appeared on-panel (or even been referenced by other characters) in literally 1 issue ever?

If so, I am a bit troubled by the decision to turn that into a major character for this show... it's almost like a sneaky way to just introduce an OC
    A majority of the characters they've decided to use for the show have been obscure or dead. It's a nice contrast to the books because they aren't tied to what's currently going on in print.

Last edited by juan678; 06-13-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Oh I hope the Hellfire reveal means we get more Sage development instead of being cameo tech/exposition queen. Also curious if this was their version of spy sage or if she's pulling a double agent act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Man, that's a lot of leggy blondes in short skirts.

^ Made me think I was watching FOX News for a second

Heyooooooo

OBEY