Page 308 of 308 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308
Results 4,606 to 4,616 of 4616

I haven't seen Dumont say anything about the cancellation as of yet, so my guesses are either she's still processing it and finding her thoughts and feelings before saying anything, or she's focusing on the everything else she's doing.

I'll add that my problems with the show, starting with Dreamer's death, were always what the writers did with/to characters. Never the actors. Dumont was always very professional and good for how she approached things, and it's disappointing - but not surprising - that the show wasted what she brought to the table in season 2. I have various theories as to what was going on behind the scenes, but I won't say any of them. Mostly because I know nobody here cares and it's not a big enough matter for me to post it here in spite of that.

I'll also add since it's safe to do so now that I always saw dynamics between Polaris and Esme as likely to garner a lot of fandom. Particularly since Skyler Samuels was amazing in Scream Queens. I'm relatively sure the show would've been able to build back up if it had capitalized on Lorna and Esme, though Nix and the writers probably would've stopped trying to improve beyond that once it reached "sustainable levels" (read: just enough to keep the show going for more seasons, nothing more). If everyone involved was open to it, show could've even taken the route of Lorna and Esme in a lesbian relationship as they raised the baby. The big risk would've been the show trying to throw Lorna under the bus to promote Esme; which as I heard they did to Lorna with Reeva, but with no success.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Emma I am sure isn't feeling too good as Fox made her the face of the season. The writers with one notable exception either ignored her or made her more into their punching bag.

It will be interesting to hear what really went on behind the scenes, because Fox with their promotion knew where the fan interest was as was shown by their huge push including the massive poster over SDCC. The depiction of Lorna the second half the season though was a straight up disaster of epic proportions that I would prefer to forget about. This is what I would prefer to remember.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-23-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The depiction of Lorna the second half the season though was a straight up disaster of epic proportions that I would prefer to forget about. This is what I would prefer to remember.

For the sake of Lorna positivity and helping Dumont (if she were to see this), the Tumblr post I made about Dumont's birthday excitement in that moment remains my most active post of all time: http://salarta.tumblr.com/post/16756...way-emma-loves . As I write this, it's at 493 notes and still going. Had a new like for it just yesterday.

Dumont did what she could where and when she could. It's people higher up than her that failed the show.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Recently, she's been doing alot of modeling. Going from blonde to brunette and definitely pulls off both looks ..which isnt easy for many because certain Brunettes SHOULD NEVER, EVER be blonde.

She is someone for me to keep eye on for the foreseeable future as Dark Phoenix approaches.

Ultimate Member

Well Dumont did shoot a movie recently as well if memory serves, with one of Bruce Willis' daughters...

Ultimate Member

I feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy yanks the football away again. I knew that if it was a show on Fox that I liked, it would get cancelled like Firefly or Almost Human or the Sarah Conner Chronicles. But I watched it and got into it anyway. Bad me!

And it is, entirely on me. I should know better by this point.

One last comment looking back before I leave the show behind. Season one was damned good with its faults. Season two was poor, with a few bright spots. The writers tried even harder in season 2 forcing characters to work that weren’t working namely the Stuckers, but not just them, but that has already been said. They also reduced the show’s target audience significantly to a focus on teen viewers not the core 18-49 demographic which they were annihilated in this season.

They also straight up tore apart Lorna’s character and tried to utterly change the character which was the thing working best for the show into something else entirely, something completely uninteresting and downright terrible.

This last part I just realized and they switched the analogy for the entire show which had a huge impact. Season one was very clear from the start it was meant to be a 1930s Germany parallel with a government one bad step from open genocide and some in the government and industry planning it anyway.

It was not the typical 60s civil rights analogy of a good government that just doesn’t do enough about racist bigots. They switched up the whole metaphor for the show in season two to one of the 60s civil rights era.

In season one the mainstream position of the Mutant Underground was mutant separatism. They all supported it and were helping mutants get out. They also supported attacks to free mutants from government detention, but differed on when they are ready to take action.

With the change in metaphor for the world to a 60s America one suddenly mutant separatism became an evil that the Morlocks, Esme and Lorna believed in, but no longer the now much more self righteous Underground. Freeing mutants from captivity once a mainstream position of all of the Underground became something only the antagonists like Lorna and Esme support at least until Lorna’s out of nowhere emotional break down.

My personal view is their grand switch up didn’t service the show. They should have kept with one analogy or the other. Either one step from full DoFP or 60s America. Not one in season one and the other without reason why they got there in season 2.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-03-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I just started season one and I’m really digging this show. I know this show goes down hill in season 2 and is now cancelled but this is some really good X-Men material. Long shot is that Disney+ picks this show up. With Disney’s alleged “commitment” for a theatrical release of the New Mutants movie. Tightening up the writing and renewing the Gifted would be a cheaper affair.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

reminder this show existed
    we can be heroes, just for one day