Page 288 of 308 FirstFirst ... 188238278284285286287288289290291292298 ... LastLast
Results 4,306 to 4,320 of 4616
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The actress did do a good job with the character. I understand why people liked her, and I thought she had a really creative powerset. As someone who's a fan of Mystique, I don't think there's anything wrong with liking a character like that.

I too was shocked that Reeva and Polaris didn't kill her TBH. The minute she threatened the Inner Circle, you kinda had to know she was done. There was no way Reeva was going to let that slide.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 12-14-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I'm beginning to understand you and the other Dreamer stans PoV with the way the character Rebecca Hoover/Twist was unceremoniously offed.

And, just like with Dreamer, her personality underwent a distortion and 180 change one episode prior.

However... well. Yeah, Dreamer dying wasn't a deal breaker for me and neither will Rebecca's death be such.

The only way to really make me hate this show is if they got rid of the Inner Circle entirely or rendered them comically "evil" somehow, got Lorna to return to Underground and re-grow her romance with Marcos, basically "admit" to him he was right all along about everything, and she was a naughty spoiled brat or something. If they show does that I'm done with it period. I hope it's too intelligent but you never know.

I also think EVEN IF they did that, they would "compensate" by giving us a more dark Lauren Strucker or something else.
    With how Dreamer was treated, it wasn't just an issue of personality distortion, but the horrendously insulting ways they got to the point of killing her off. They wrote her as suddenly stupid enough to be on the wrong side of the door - the side where she could be easily and instantly captured - to slow down SS. Then they wrote the kids twice refusing to make her sacrifices have any value whatsoever. The latter time being where they were so adamant about not using their powers, but then as soon as Dreamer's killed, suddenly they're ready to give in. And then to cap it all off, after killing Dreamer off, the show rushed right on to hyping up the Cuckoos as the "big moment" of the episode that everyone's supposed to get all hyped up about.

Every good show out there that I've ever seen makes the character death into its big moment of the episode. Doesn't bury it. Because the writers have more respect for their characters and fans than that. The only show I can think of that screwed up this bad was Star Trek: The Next Generation killing off Tasha Yar. Which some people might think "Yeah but that show did great" without considering that a) it was made in the late 80s/early 90s when writing and fandom were MUCH smaller and less developed, and b) even back then her death was considered enough of a black mark that episodes in later seasons made an explicit point of how awful the writers treated her in killing her off. Late 80s/early 90s Star Trek shows also had a nasty habit of seeing female characters as more disposable than male ones (Tasha Yar, attempts to replace Beverly Crusher in season 2, Jadzia Dax, Kes), so bonus sexism that wouldn't fly today.

Long story short, people on the show were clearly starting with "We wanna kill off Dreamer to advance everyone else's stories" and then worked backwards from there to set up half-baked excuses for her death to happen.

P.S. - I'm not expecting anyone to drop the show on account of my complaints. But I think if someone takes a certain attitude toward someone else's fave getting treated poorly, they should expect the same attitude from others when their own fave gets treated in a similar manner just not as bad. This statement isn't directed at you, just said in general.
    Last edited by salarta; 12-14-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

A quick reminder of what was lost, by awrestlinggirlwholovesbooks.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Clickbait and it increased my blood pressure lol...

Such unnecessary shade thrown on Sage for example.

And no, the characters don't all need to be on one team. That is not the problem with the show at all. Quite the opposite, that's part of what sets it apart and makes it more unique.

A boring Underground is only a huge cause for panic for people who are unable to adopt the point of view of the other groups... that's a problem for those people though. The show is just more complicated and it's not as spoonfed like most of these are where it's just automatic to assume Good vs Evil. In a way there is Evil on the Underground (stubborn refusal to change tactics even in the face of obvious failures to reform society) and there is Good among both the Inner Circle (courage, boldness, imagination of a better future) and even the Purifiers to a degree (wanting to safeguard ordinary people against a crazy new species isn't innately horrible, it depends on the execution thereof). Plus the Morlocks are there to sort of a give a different dimension, more like Active vs Passive and not just Good vs Evil all the time.

Things the show DOES need to work on:

1) Getting more characters/concepts/themes that are familiar from the canon and lore

2) More frequent and better done action sequences.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Clickbait...
    Not all of it, there was some bits of accuracy:

... when you remove Lorna, Andy and the Stepford Cuckoos from the Mutant Underground, what's left is ... all of the blandest elements. ...

... the powerful but unstable Lorna Dane embraces a less peaceful philosophy more in line with that of her never-named father (psst, it's Magneto)...

... It's telling that the two best episodes of the second season (by far) centered not on any remaining members of the Mutant Underground, but rather on Lorna and the Frost sisters. It's not simply because they dealt with their backstories -- similar flashbacks involving John and Marcos fell flat -- but instead because the audience has become invested in those characters; glimpses of their tragic pasts only help us to understand their actions in the present. ...

... most of the characters in the Inner Circle (Lorna, Andy, the Frost sisters, Reeva) are compelling enough in themselves... The only solution... shift focus to the morally gray Inner Circle...

BANNED

The posters in this thread will predictably scoff, but the truth remains - this second season has not been good. And this article nails several of the key problems.

Amazing Member

Clickbait and it increased my blood pressure lol...

Such unnecessary shade thrown on Sage for example.

And no, the characters don't all need to be on one team. That is not the problem with the show at all. Quite the opposite, that's part of what sets it apart and makes it more unique.

A boring Underground is only a huge cause for panic for people who are unable to adopt the point of view of the other groups... that's a problem for those people though. The show is just more complicated and it's not as spoonfed like most of these are where it's just automatic to assume Good vs Evil. In a way there is Evil on the Underground (stubborn refusal to change tactics even in the face of obvious failures to reform society) and there is Good among both the Inner Circle (courage, boldness, imagination of a better future) and even the Purifiers to a degree (wanting to safeguard ordinary people against a crazy new species isn't innately horrible, it depends on the execution thereof). Plus the Morlocks are there to sort of a give a different dimension, more like Active vs Passive and not just Good vs Evil all the time.

Things the show DOES need to work on:

1) Getting more characters/concepts/themes that are familiar from the canon and lore

2) More frequent and better done action sequences.
    I agree about the action sequences. It does seem to be a big need for this show (what's weird is that Nix's other series, Burn Notice, had some pretty stellar action sequences.)

The Underground does need to be fixed though. It's fine that you agree with the Inner Circle, but from a structural standpoint, there would be far richer drama to be yielded if both sides were more balanced in their presentation.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    The posters in this thread will predictably scoff, but the truth remains - this second season has not been good. And this article nails several of the key problems.
    Sadly there's no hope the show won't be canceled. It's too late to save it. But maybe a miracle will happen & a streaming service will pick it up after it ends on Fox. But I won't hold my breathe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    Sadly there's no hope the show won't be canceled. It's too late to save it. But maybe a miracle will happen & a streaming service will pick it up after it ends on Fox. But I won't hold my breathe.
    But a streaming service doesn't solve the problem. The issue, to me, is that the people writing/producing/creating the show have done a really poor job mapping out what they want the show to be. More time on some other service doesn't fix that problem, it only makes it more painful to watch a show with great potential get ruined by awful creative decisions, putrid dialogue, misplaced focus, etc.

The first handful of episodes laid out a really interesting premise - basically the future Ahab story and the remnants of mutantkind trying to stave it off - but as time has gone on it's been revealed that they had no plan really at all. They jump from premise to premise (Ahab, then Hellfire vs. Underground, mix in some Morlocks, now talk about a Utopia, now the Hellfire converts change their mind, mutant cure, the Struckers do some **** and make us all want to change the channel, etc.) It's just....bad. It's not creative or interesting and people lock on to a few well done characters (Polaris and the Frosts) and pretend the crap-storm around them doesn't exist.

Fix the crap-storm or it might just be better off it is canceled.
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 01-01-2019 at 09:26 AM.

BANNED

New episode of The Gifted will air tonight, but it will start later because America's racist president will hold a racist speech that every broadcast station will air live because reasons.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Yeah, The Gifted is going to be preempted tonight. First by Trump whining about something, and then Fox will air the Democratic response to his nonsense. They'll air the entire episode... we just don't know when it'll start.

https://twitter.com/danharrisontv/st...67108368973824

behind scene 2x10
    Last edited by juan678; 01-08-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Yeah they'll have aged-up versions of the Fenris twins for flashbacks presumably during Lauren's dreams (or Andy's as well).

Could be pretty awesome, wonder how they'll approach the whole incest angle

Hoping they de-emphasize/eliminate the Nazi ties though. Would prefer they portray them more ambiguously as like, possible fighters for mutant emancipation and misunderstood or demonized by an angry/fearful human public. But they might just go the simple route and make them just seem absolutely terrible
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY