Page 295 of 308 FirstFirst ... 195245285291292293294295296297298299305 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,425 of 4616
    BANNED

They showed Esme in season 1 picking up on the emotions of the "Chloe" character. Enough so that the fan wiki lists her as possibly empathic. So, yes, there is precedent.

A telepathic probe for truth on each member of the group would almost certainly take less time than the convoluted "security check".....right?

And....why would Reeva assume a tech wizard with a tech based mutant power would be stupid and sloppy enough that the Frosts could figure out her plan?

Emma Dumont rips Lorna in season 2 as weak-willed, cowardly and passive

We’ve previously featured co-star Sean Teal and spoke about his experiences crafting an original character for The Gifted however your experience is the complete opposite. With years of lore and the character of Polaris already having fans of comic and animated adaptations, how does that affect you as the actor portraying a beloved character?

Emma Dumont: Coming into a character that has existed since the 1960’s and who has been portrayed in so many different renditions, let’s be honest, there’s a lot of pressure and I wanted to do right by every version of Lorna, from the original X-men, through X-factor and even the bratty teenage Lorna from Wolverine and the Xmen animated series. I really wanted to do right by all versions of her, mind control and all. The most important thing for me is that no matter what was written for me or what was coming up in the show I wanted to make sure it all felt authentically Lorna Dane. As Sean said, he got to create this character which was super fun and awesome for me and my fellow cast members to see and for, it was super important to really pay homage to the original lore and to always be in keeping with the original mythology.

Season 2 Lorna is very different to the Lorna we first saw back when the series premiered, how was that transition for you as the actress portraying the change of character?

Emma Dumont: Coming into season 2, it was actually pretty shocking and really hard for me to adjust to this new Lorna that the writers and producers had created and decided upon. It seemed like it was going against anything that was truly Polaris to be completely honest, I always say that season 1 Lorna always felt really good for me because it wasn’t the little Polaris we met in the original first X-men who slipped on bobby’s ice, it was this newer, stronger and fiercer sort of character and I loved that so much. In season 2 however, I felt like we were very much going back to her origins where she’s confused and very sad waiting to listen to instructions from other people and that was very challenging for me because I didn’t believe that was the right way to portray the character.

The writers, directors and producers felt it was super important for us to show a weaker more passive side to Polaris. It was a big adjustment and it was a total learning curve because I was so confused. It’s certainly a difference, and people always ask me “what happened to badass Lorna!?” which makes me feel a little bad but I do think it’s cool that I got to play two sides of one character and people don’t always get to do that so lucky me!

http://fault-magazine.com/2019/02/fa...d-emma-dumont/
    And in interview #2.

Brief Take: Do you bring your own experiences into portraying Lorna?

Emma Dumont: I would say season 1 Lorna and Emma Dumont are the exact same person in many, many ways—their political views, their strength, their relentless stubbornness, negative and positive. I related so much to Lorna when I first “met her”. Season 2, I don’t know this girl. [laughs] I don’t know who she is. I don’t know what she’s doing, I don’t know why she’s sitting around crying so much. In season 2, what I think is right for the character doesn’t matter and what I feel personally doesn’t matter because I’m not in charge, I’m not the boss, so whatever is on the page is what we do that day. And that’s great! You know, there are so many things about Lorna this year that are so hard for me to understand, and it’s not a bad thing, it’s not in a negative way. I played roles before in which I didn’t understand the characters, I would do the same thing if I was playing a murderer—to a different level, of course.

But yeah, in the first few episodes she finds out that her baby is sick and instead of going out and hunting for a doctor, leaving the Inner Circle, really going and doing what a mom would do, pounding the pavement, trying to find something to help her child, she sits around and cries about it. So, you know, I don’t know, I don’t know if I can fully understand season 2 Lorna Dane. Lorna this season was really passive and I didn’t like that at all.

I was like “who is this person? I don’t know this Lorna Dane”. But the writers thought it would be better that she was a little more submissive and weak this season. I guess that’s important for her journey, it’s important for everyone’s journey to have highs and lows. Her mental illness aside, for anyone, it’s important to show those different parts of a character. Playing someone with bipolar disorder is a big task and it’s definitely something we talk about every day. This is still a person who has not been treated in any way, through therapy or medicine. She’s completely on her own, and then she has a baby, which is a huge hormonal change in anyone’s body, so yeah, she’s really going through it right now! [laughs] My girl Lorna’s really going through it.

https://brieftake.com/interview-the-gifted-emma-dumont/
    Its rare to have an actor or actress care that much about a character as Emma Dumont did Lorna... including her caring about the comic book version and her history. In terms of her take on Lorna this season... she is right and however it ends good or ill for her they did turn her into a coward this season to date and I don't use that word lightly.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I love Emma, but feel she's being a tad dramatic. Having a character be badass/tough twenty-four seven is bad writing. It makes the character seem one dimensional if that's all there is to her. While I haven't enjoyed certain aspects of her plot this season (the spy stuff, and her reunion with Marcos was too soon IMO), I think it was important for the writers to show a different side to her character, and not just have her be the female Magneto that so many thought of her as in the first season. I enjoy that the show embraces the Magneto like qualities of the character, but there is more to Lorna than that, and while it might not be as thrilling, it was a distinction that needed to be made. She's always been way more heroic than Max, and I think it was important to show that side of her this season, personally. I also feel like there were a number of moments where Polaris has felt like the character we saw in season one. Her confrontations with Reeva, Max, and some of her conversations with Marcos still showed that headstrong Lorna from season one. She also has continued to display her desire to help Mutants, as she did join the Inner Circle in attacking Creed Financial, and taking out the Mutant collars. I don't understand why she thought Lorna would be in charge of the Inner Circle? She's a new recruit, there was no way she was going to be calling the shots. Polaris was always going to be answering to the more established members of the Inner Circle.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 02-15-2019 at 12:50 PM.

BANNED

Dumont is 100% right. I give her credit for jeopardizing her role to say it so publicly. Good for her.

Polaris went from leadership in the Underground, to mostly-compliant muscle of the Inner Circle, crying and not really questioning anything until now. I would have been satisfied if she was on the top tier of the Inner Circle making moves, but the season is coming to an end and she's been in follower mode which pretty much killed the potential of her big move and her resolve to do things her own way. Still, I'm excited to see how it all wraps up, but not expecting redemption where Polaris is concerned. So much for being a queen as she was sold by her Inner Circle superiors.

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    Polaris went from leadership in the Underground, to mostly-compliant muscle of the Inner Circle, crying and not really questioning anything until now. I would have been satisfied if she was on the top tier of the Inner Circle making moves, but the season is coming to an end and she's been in follower mode which pretty much killed the potential of her big move and her resolve to do things her own way. Still, I'm excited to see how it all wraps up, but not expecting redemption where Polaris is concerned. So much for being a queen as she was sold by her Inner Circle superiors.
    Its been alot of years since I have seen quite as uniform a view that a show dropped the ball with a character from the actor or actress down to the bulk of online fans who still care about the show. Or as a poster at the link put it.

The character she used to enjoy playing got butchered so shes going to vent
    The creative team being honest with fans as well as Fox TV and/or execs at Hulu or wherever they might be trying to sell a third season... to explain why another season will be received a lot better then this one. It might seem counter intuitive, but Emma actually raised not lowered the not exactly great odds of the series being saved by pointing out something very obvious and glaring that has most certainly damaged viewership this season and its something that is correctable.

This season isn't salvageable at all for me as far as Lorna or the show is concerned no matter if she gets up the courage to fight Reeva and takes over the Inner Circle or not. I don't care at this point. The Gifted writers talked down to the audience repeatedly this season in a way they mostly avoided doing in season one and not using the traditional model of the Hellfire Club where one has multiple leaders with their own power bases was a part of that, but far from the only part.

Generally I have nothing left to say other then the creative team this season deeply disappointed me and any trust I had in them is gone.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-15-2019 at 04:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Its been alot of years since I have seen quite as uniform a view that a show dropped the ball with a character from the actor or actress down to the bulk of online fans who still care about the show. Or as a poster at the link put it.

The creative team being honest with fans as well as Fox TV and/or execs at Hulu or wherever they might be trying to sell a third season... to explain why another season will be received a lot better then this one.

It might seem counter intuitive, but Emma just raised the not exactly great odds of the series being saved by pointing out something very obvious and glaring that has most certainly damaged viewership this season and its something that is correctable.

This season isn't salvageable at all for me as far as Lorna or the show is concerned no matter if she gets up the courage to fight Reeva and takes over the Inner Circle or not. I don't care at this point. The Gifted writers talked down to the audience repeatedly this season in a way they mostly avoided doing in season one and not using the traditional model of the Hellfire Club where one has multiple leaders with their own power bases was a part of that, but far from the only part.

Generally I have nothing left to say other then the creative team this season deeply disappointed me and any trust I had in them is gone.
    Great post. She may also be saying this publicly because she knows the show is finished and her chances of playing the character going forward are over.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at what Season 2 did to Lorna and be anything other than some version of upset. It's been awful. I get the feeling that the writers were on a rotation where they wrote their episode with no idea how the previous episode happened. It's the only explanation for the inconsistency and incoherence of the plot.

And in interview #2.

Its rare to have an actor or actress care that much about a character as Emma Dumont did Lorna... including her caring about the comic book version and her history. In terms of her take on Lorna this season... she is right and however it ends good or ill for her they did turn her into a coward this season to date and I don't use that word lightly.
    I respect her for caring about the portrayal of the character and knowing all it's past incarnations in books and TV.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    They showed Esme in season 1 picking up on the emotions of the "Chloe" character. Enough so that the fan wiki lists her as possibly empathic. So, yes, there is precedent.

A telepathic probe for truth on each member of the group would almost certainly take less time than the convoluted "security check".....right?

And....why would Reeva assume a tech wizard with a tech based mutant power would be stupid and sloppy enough that the Frosts could figure out her plan?
    Wrong. Eyes glowing blue, TP powers in use, so no precedent.

Nope. If you're seeking validation, ya came to the wrong place.

Convenience, she was looking for someone to blame, and The Frost Sisters can be very convincing. Why would she doubt her most trusted allies?
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 02-15-2019 at 09:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Wrong. Eyes glowing blue, TP powers in use, so no precedent.

Nope. If you're seeking validation, ya came to the wrong place.

Convenience, she was looking for someone to blame, and The Frost Sisters can be very convincing. Why would she doubt her most trusted allies?
    Fans took from that episode that she might be empathic, at the very least the show was misleading. And why would Reeva mistrust? Because she's actively mistrusting someone in her group, you'd think she'd want to be very sure Sage was guilty. And working alone.

I don't need validation, that and confirmation bias seem to be your thing you project on to others. So here's a few realities checks for you before you post a response: viewers have left this show in droves. Fan communities, including reddit, are very down on this season. Lead actresses on the show are openly criticizing the characterizations. You know what you won't get validation on? The Gifted being picked up by a streaming service. No streaming service is going to touch this dumpster fire of a show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I love Emma, but feel she's being a tad dramatic. Having a character be badass/tough twenty-four seven is bad writing. It makes the character seem one dimensional if that's all there is to her. ...
    Emma's not the only one. Like Reeva. Pretty much agree with everything else you said, also.

... that has most certainly damaged viewership this season and its something that is correctable. ...
    There's room for improvement, no doubt, but viewership was damaged from the get-go. S1's weren't that great, and S2's started out even worse. As NiX said, streaming is where they've done, and do well (comparatively). It was, and hopefully will be again, its saving grace. I have my doubts this time around, tho, unless there's some fairly major retooling done.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 02-15-2019 at 10:41 PM.

BANNED

Fans took from that episode that she might be empathic, at the very least the show was misleading. And why would Reeva mistrust? Because she's actively mistrusting someone in her group, you'd think she'd want to be very sure Sage was guilty. And working alone.

I don't need validation, that and confirmation bias seem to be your thing you project on to others. So here's a few realities checks for you before you post a response: viewers have left this show in droves. Fan communities, including reddit, are very down on this season. Lead actresses on the show are openly criticizing the characterizations. You know what you won't get validation on? The Gifted being picked up by a streaming service. No streaming service is going to touch this dumpster fire of a show.
    Then fans like you need to get their facts straight, and stop "projecting", themselves. In the character's intro in that ep, she clearly states she's a TP & can pick up on thoughts, if she's close enough. And before you respond, perhaps you should try better understanding what it is you're responding to:

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    ... Jean Grey often picked up stray thought not actively doing a telepathic mind probe. Strong emotions, like fear and panic, tend to stick out. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ... Have The Frost Sisters ever been shown to do this, tho? If not, then there's no precedent in The Gifted. ...
    If Reeva didn't already trust The Frost Sisters completely, then why would she ask them to find out who the "spy" was in the first place, instead of doing it herself?

Reality is perception, and your opinions are just that. No need to be so testy, or overwrought, in your nitpickiness. Oh, and is Reddit really legitimate evidence of anything. That's rhetorical, BTW.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 02-15-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Great post. She may also be saying this publicly because she knows the show is finished and her chances of playing the character going forward are over.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at what Season 2 did to Lorna and be anything other than some version of upset. It's been awful. I get the feeling that the writers were on a rotation where they wrote their episode with no idea how the previous episode happened. It's the only explanation for the inconsistency and incoherence of the plot.
    While the Lorna characterization hasn’t bothered me, i do completely agree with the inconsistent episodes this season.

On multiple episodes, esme flip flopped befweens showing some remorse for things like making people kill themselves. To joking about making people kill themselves. And back and forth more than once.

I like polaris but to me the cuckoo inconsistency was a lot more noticeable.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Dumont is 100% right. I give her credit for jeopardizing her role to say it so publicly. Good for her.
    You probably aren't putting said role in that much jeopardy when the show is most likely on the way out.

And in interview #2.

Wow, I really admire Emma Dumont for speaking so honestly. I've been hanging in there, trusting that the show was going to turn around, that Polaris was going to step up and save the day but they really put Lorna on the back burner. The beginning of the season was great--the Magneto link, baby Dawn. And then they completely forgot about all of that, and Lorna was reduced to walk on parts. Even the other characters in the last two episodes were saying, the old Lorna of the Underground days wouldn't be so passive, let her friends be hurt or killed. You know the truism: when even the characters in the story begin noticing there's something wrong, there's a problem.

This is a huge disappointment for me. I still love the show, the potential is still so great. It seems the producers wanted to focus more on the Struckers. I thought they'd move the focus around--yeah, maybe it was getting too Lorna-centric in early Season 2--but it's been all about the Struckers for the last 6 episodes or so. The Inner Circle has become a footnote in their own story-arc. The setting, the idea that the X-Men are dead and these are the last mutants--the GIFTED seemed more akin to the film LOGAN (one of my favorites) than the other Fox X-Men movies. The show was conceived at a time when Marvel was trying to smother the X-Men, and the GIFTED was such a breath of fresh air.

I thought last Tuesday's episode was good! I hope Blink is still alive. I hate what happened to Sage. But Lorna's role was the worst thing about the episode! Where's her reaction to Marcos being shot? I mean, why wouldn't she have gotten angry and left the Inner Circle. She just lets Sage die because of her actions, and then she looks chagrined and cries about it? (Not Emma's fault, this is what she had to work with.) It's like the producers and writers completely truncated Polaris as a character, cut her off at every moment she should have had an in-character, powerful reaction to something. The same thing happened to the Frost sisters, too! Strong female characters with a large number of fans, and they were side-lined.

Emma Dumont at least advocated for her character. What she said about Lorna's reaction to her baby's illness--everything about her behavior since she handed Dawn to her own foster mother for the baby's protection--was right on.