Page 301 of 308 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 4616
    BANNED

The show most likely has no future on FoX, if it ever did. The prospects for broadcast networks continues to dim anyway, while the outlook for steaming grows brighter every day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    ... eventually the AoS fanbase will only have Disney+...
    Oh yes, they're attempting to herd & corral, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    The show most likely has no future on FoX, if it ever did. The prospects for broadcast networks continues to dim anyway, while the outlook for steaming grows brighter every day.
    That assumes their streaming numbers are actually good and I will just say last season’s streaming numbers and X-finity numbers were strong so were their delayed viewership numbers.

This season their delayed viewership numbers are terrible and their streaming numbers are low enough they aren’t making the top 20 or top 50/100 lists I look out for. If the streaming numbers are terrible or not I can’t say, but they clearly aren’t strong like season one.

Emma Dumont has a huge fanbase in certain countries namely China, but also South America from season one. These things brought in international viewers. But, season two did a lot of damage across the board including to global interest as they flipped the script with her and tried to reinvent the wheel with the character. I understand vaguely some of what they wanted to do, but they took a sledgehammer to her and utterly smashed her beyond recognition not just to myself, but to the actress who plays her. The core aspects the masses liked and watched for were completely removed.

Why they took the things that were most working last season and tossed them in the trash can I would one day like an answer from Mr. Nix and Mr. Loeb on that.

They will have to answer to any streaming service why people won’t continue to flee their show.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-27-2019 at 10:06 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    ... This season their delayed viewership numbers are terrible and their streaming numbers are low enough they aren’t making the top 20 or top 50/100 lists I look out for. If the streaming numbers are terrible or not I can’t say, but they clearly aren’t strong like season one. ...
    Seems like they're still doin' well enough: ProgrammingInsider.com... Live+Seven Day results of the top broadcast network telecasts for the week of February 11...
    Top 40 programs in Live+7 Day percentage gains among adults 18-49

The Gifted (FOX, Tue. 2/12/19) +73% (L+SD: 0.49; L+7: 0.85)

Top 40 programs in Live+7 Day percentage gains among total viewers

The Gifted (FOX, Tue. 2/12/19) +70.53% (L+SD: 1.605m; L+7: 2.737m)
    For ep #14, I think. There's been erosion, for sure. But not of a devastatingly detrimental nature, IMO. 'Cause for concern, absolutely, but alarm?... eh...

BANNED

I have never seen a show fall so far in a season in my life.
    Right? It bothers me this show gets treated with kiddie gloves. It plays out like a melodramatic teen show and now people seem to softly critique it in a similar manner. This show was capable of being really good and it's just not. I wish more of the critics (very few of whom even bother to review this show anymore) weren't so soft on it. Most of this season's writing deserves to be taken to task. Excoriated really.
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 02-27-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Right? It bothers me this show gets treated with kiddie gloves. It plays out like a melodramatic teen show and now people seem to softly critique it in a similar manner. This show was capable of being really good and it's just not. I with more of the critics (very few of whom even bother to review this show) are so soft on it. Most of this season's writing deserves to be taken to task. Excoriated really.
    This show was really good. Not just capable. Season one was a really good season for a genre TV show of any kind with flickers of greatness here and there and flickers of weakness in the middle of the season. For the most part it was a good show.

Season two was anything but that. It was mediocre for most the season and outright terrible in stretches with the occasional positive moment. Season one I would rate a 9 overall. Season two I would rate a 4 or 5.

I understand those who want another season either circling the wagons or going into propaganda mode. They are on some level correct it is really not the time to question what went wrong when it comes to PR if ones main goal is a season 3.

But, at the same point in time I can’t promote a possible season 3 without Mr. Nix showing he understands what went terribly wrong and has a much better path forward because watching the show actually became really painful this season.

Either way this is my last comment on The Gifted period until actual important news comes.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-27-2019 at 12:10 PM.

BANNED

Seems to me being in propaganda mode, if there's any truth to that, goes both ways. That one person's disastrousness is merely disappointment to another, should be a reasonably understandable conclusion to come to, I would say. Differing opinions and/or the intensities thereof, should not be met with skeptical derision, but acceptance based on divergence of all manners being eXpected. What will be, will be. And no amount of hyperbolic allegations on here, from either ends of the spectrum--or even in between--is going to change that.

With that said, I'd give the first season a 7.5, maybe an 8... if I'm feelin' favorable. This past one, gets a 6, due mostly to its paralyzing aimlessness & overall loss of a distinctive identity. Good riddance to both Reed & Reeva, whose absence can only improve things IMO, if the chance to demonstrate that is graciously Gifted.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 02-27-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Did I say you went into propaganda mode Heroine?

No, I believe you were entirely fair and honest in your opinion toward the finale. Certain online reviewers Theleviathan was referring to this page are a different story.

I will say I think you are circling the wagons though to promote a third season which is your choice and I wish you the best in that. I wish I felt good enough about the season to do the same. I would love to see Emma Dumont play Polaris again, but never like this.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-27-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I must say both The Gifted and Legion started off really strong with their respective first seasons and then couldn't quite maintain the same level of quality in their second season. I will miss them both, but then again I think both Disney + and Hulu will hardly be devoid of mutant content come 2021.

BANNED

This show was really good. Not just capable. Season one was a really good season for a genre TV show of any kind with flickers of greatness here and there and flickers of weakness in the middle of the season. For the most part it was a good show.

Season two was anything but that. It was mediocre for most the season and outright terrible in stretches with the occasional positive moment. Season one I would rate a 9 overall. Season two I would rate a 4 or 5.

I understand those who want another season circling the wagons and going into propaganda mode. They are on some level correct it is really not the time to question what went wrong when it comes to PR if ones main goal is a season 3.

But, at the same point in time I can’t promote a possible season 3 without Mr. Nix showing he understands what went terribly wrong and has a much better path forward because watching the show actually became really painful this season.

Either way this is my last comment on The Gifted period until actual important news comes.
    I thought the first 3/4 of the first season was good. I thought they lost direction when they veered the last few episodes. But you're correct, the show did show some good chops. I was more in the 7 camp for season one and I think this season was closer to a 2 or a 3.

I believe a show's quality really shines through in the details. And that's where this show falls apart for me. Not enough attention to detail and cohesion even from the very beginning. There wasn't a long-term plan and trying to piece-meal it together resulted in a show that became so choppy it bordered on incoherent by the end.

I thought the first 3/4 of the first season was good. I thought they lost direction when they veered the last few episodes. But you're correct, the show did show some good chops. I was more in the 7 camp for season one and I think this season was closer to a 2 or a 3.

I believe a show's quality really shines through in the details. And that's where this show falls apart for me. Not enough attention to detail and cohesion even from the very beginning. There wasn't a long-term plan and trying to piece-meal it together resulted in a show that became so choppy it bordered on incoherent by the end.
    The mid season CW like stuff from season one was weak no doubt. One could argue and I might agree it should knock down the score more like 2 points for the season.

Still the start and the finish of season one was good quality, high octane and thought provoking.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I'd be curious what you said.

There needs to be a complete turnover in the writing and producing of this show. The second season was a mess.
    Basically 3 big points

1) Collapse of moral nuances and philosophical complexity, with the "Reeva helps Purifiers" insanity, and Lorna/Andy quitting the IC in an incredibly abrupt hamfisted manner

2) Not nearly enough focus on the characters fans liked out of season 1, Polaris and the Cuckoos

3) The entire build up around Andy/Lauren as becoming potentially a new Fenris went 100% wasted and unaddressed by the finale

My feelings on a potential season 3: it all depends if they learned anything or not... if they start trying to fix things and make it more interesting/appealing to people like myself then sure I'm all for a season 3. They've dug themselves a huge hole though. They can begin by going off the thing Marcos or whoever said at the end about how the Frosts can only mind control somebody if on same level that person wants it to happen. Apply that to Andy and Lauren and start turning them into the supervillains they're so obviously supposed to become. I'm not sure what they can do with Polaris, having her drift away from the Underground immediately would feel schizophrenic. But something has to happen. Are Sophie and Phoebe dead? So there are no more Cuckoos? Just Esme? Eh. Maybe have Lorna/Esme strike up much more the partnership they were SUPPOSED to have in season 2 and begin to gradually drift off from Underground together. Bring back Sage somehow.

The concepts of Days of Future Past and Blink's portals can now traverse time not just space is fine to me but not really the main thing I care about. I care about the show's themes, messaging, moral tensions, being provocative and saying things socially. Not just fancy backdrops or whatever. If it stays bland and vanilla with all characters as one big happy team I'm just not that interested honestly
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 02-27-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Did I say you went into propaganda mode Heroine?

No, I believe you were entirely fair and honest in your opinion toward the finale. Certain online reviewers Theleviathan was referring to this page are a different story.

I will say I think you are circling the wagons though to promote a third season which is your choice and I wish you the best in that. I wish I felt good enough about the season to do the same. I would love to see Emma Dumont play Polaris again, but never like this.
    Just pointing out that when accentuating assertions, the propensity to eXaggerate can come from every side, in all shapes & forms. And that none of us are immune--motivations aside--as it's only natural, when beliefs are strongly held, and subsequently emboldened by passion.

In regards to a potential S3, yes, I was encouraged by the finale's ending & the MANY possibilities it provided. But my looking forward to that stems from the strength of the show's principles, that I believe still eXist, not from its weaknesses and/or recent mishandling.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 02-27-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Just pointing out that when accentuating assertions, the propensity to eXaggerate can come from every side, in all shapes & forms. And that none of us are immune--motivations aside--as it's only natural, when beliefs are strongly held, and subsequently emboldened by passion.

In regards to a potential S3, yes, I was encouraged by the finale's ending & the MANY possibilities it provided. But my looking forward to that stems from the strength of the show's principles, that I believe still eXist, not from its weaknesses and/or recent mishandling.
    Passions are what they are. And I see you don’t believe me that I wasn’t tossing shade on you.

Well I was somewhat tossing shade on you in terms of circling the wagons for a season 3. But, not in terms of saying you are being dishonest about how you feel about the show which would be the other half.

In terms of how I feel about this season... it is heavily influenced on how strongly I feel they botched a character I really care abouts story. I couldn’t say what I really feel about that without being banned or at least warned. The language would be highly colorful.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-27-2019 at 02:02 PM.

BANNED

Shade gets a shrug from me these days, I'm happy to say. And forget circling the wagons, I think we're just talking in circles at this point. It is what it is, no need to take things so personally all the time.