Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manga Talk

Quote Originally Posted by lostphrack View Post
    Hurray for manga!

What are folks reading now a days?

Just tried One Punch Man a few weeks ago and... yeah, mixed feelings about that one. I first heard about it on Twitter, and people were hyping the hell out of those gloriously over the top 2 page spread, flip book-esque sequences. They looked fantastic and I was all excited to start reading it because of those, but sadly they're not in the digital collections. Apparently Murata redrew those scenes for the collections, and the 2 page spreads are exclusive to the serialized edition of the series. It really bummed me out. It's still pretty enjoyable, but it's like watching an R-rated action movie on network television, you know?

You can Google OnepunchMan gifs. Plenty of scenes have been put together like this for viewing pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    How about Inoue's Real?
    Or Makoto Yukimura's Vinland Saga? Kodansha has started to release it in hardcovers.
    I also recommend Urasawa's Pluto. It's not long, only 8 volumes. I prefer it (and 20th Century Boys) over to his Monster. Not that I don't like Monster but Pluto was much tighter work.
    I second Vinland Saga.

It's great.

Also, Vikings.

And character development and what does strength really mean stuff, but also Vikings.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I second Vinland Saga.

It's great.

Also, Vikings.

And character development and what does strength really mean stuff, but also Vikings.
    True, though I have to say it was kinda lame at times during Farmville Saga.
    BB

BANNED

True, though I have to say it was kinda lame at times during Farmville Saga.
    I dropped it during Farmville, a little after that random dream sequence about "Valhalla" when it started feeling like the manga was turning into Christian propaganda. Has it gotten any better?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I dropped it during Farmville, a little after that random dream sequence about "Valhalla" when it started feeling like the manga was turning into Christian propaganda. Has it gotten any better?
    I haven't read the latest chapters and it's been a few months since I last read so can you remind me when the dream sequence happened? It did get good again during the farm saga.
    BB

BANNED

I haven't read the latest chapters and it's been a few months since I last read so can you remind me when the dream sequence happened? It did get good again during the farm saga.
    I've no idea, this was ages ago. Thorfinn had some dream sequence where he saw "Valhalla" which was a mire of corpses and people murdering the crap out of each other.

Astonishing Member

Berserk, Dorohedoro, Pandora Hearts, Blade of the Immortal, Pluto & 20th Century Boys.
    Billy Bat, Black Jack, Buddha, Gon, Lone Wolf & Cub, Mushishi, Nausicaa, Real, Tekkonkinkreet and Vagabond.
    Thanks.

Yeah I was going to get around to the other Urasawa stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    Yeah, the original artist isn't the greatest in the world. I don't think he even breaks even. On the other hand, his choreography usually holds up. I would say he has good timing, but it is in picture format.... And Murata's apparently been doing hte redraw in his spare time - possibly pro bono!
    It's a bummer that Murata's redrawing it multiple times for different formats though. The sizzle that sold me on it was that two page spread sequences, they're pretty jaw dropping. Without them you have a good looking superhero comedy, but when you include them the series becomes something really special. I might have look into getting a digital SJ subscription through Viz, just for those. Got some extra iTunes cash lying around that I can't use on Comixology now, so hey.
    ~Ken

You can Google OnepunchMan gifs. Plenty of scenes have been put together like this for viewing pleasure.
    So. GOOD!

I'm also a little worried that the lack of these might hurt it if Viz ever does a physical release for the series. It's one of the selling points people make sure to mention when they're talking about it online. Ah well.

... I can't stop watching that.

Also, third Vinland Saga. Been following Kodansha's release and, after only 3 volumes, it's probably my second favorite series at the moment. There's a whole lot of sizzle to that steak, but there's plenty of meat on it as well. Great series so far.
    ~Ken

I've no idea, this was ages ago. Thorfinn had some dream sequence where he saw "Valhalla" which was a mire of corpses and people murdering the crap out of each other.
    That's one of the points of the manga.

The Viking way of life of violence violence and more violence is wrong.

One of the things addressed during Farmland Saga is just how many people these guys have hurt because they like to pillage and plunder.

The MC realizing this and trying to find a better way is the driving force behind it.

Historically, he's going to fail because the people in Vinland are savages but what can you do?
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped

Oh yeah that. I just checked and it looks like it was chapter 70. It gets better, especially when Canute pops up again.
    BB

BANNED

Holy fuck that looks good.

Onepunch Man has been on my to-read list for ages, I'll put it up a few spots now.

Astonishing Member

^

Is that one of those like quasi-animation comics like Batman 66, or did someone just get really creative with the panels....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    ^

Is that one of those like quasi-animation comics like Batman 66, or did someone just get really creative with the panels....
    Murata has a quasi cinematic style going on. Make it easy to put it all together and get cool stuff.

Like this:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    Yeah, the original artist isn't the greatest in the world. I don't think he even breaks even. On the other hand, his choreography usually holds up. I would say he has good timing, but it is in picture format.... And Murata's apparently been doing hte redraw in his spare time - possibly pro bono!

Any other Jojo fans? Been a fan ever since I saw a fansub on VHS back in the day ('99?). The new series has been doing a wonderful job, too. Joseph's been my favorite of the Jojo's, though I've only completely read through the first 5 arcs. Stone Ocean I had an issue with missing some chapters, and I've only gotten so far in Steel Ball Run. Not touched Jojolion.

Huh.... must be tired, think I babbled there.
    i'm currently reading through jojo for the first time. i'm in Battle tendency so far

BANNED

You can Google OnepunchMan gifs. Plenty of scenes have been put together like this
    I've been always curious about this series never had the innate desire to read it though.

I've been reading Fuuka and Biorg Trinity