Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manga Talk

Default Manga Talk

In the absence of the Anime/Manga forum, I didn't know whether to put this here or in the Independent Forum.

Since we already have a Go Nagai thread here, I ended up leaning towards this one. If it's not okay, then please move the thread to the appropriate forum.

Anyway, talk about the Manga you like here. Shounen, Shoujo, Josei, Seinen. Popular or barely known. It's all good.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Hurray for manga!

What are folks reading now a days?

Just tried One Punch Man a few weeks ago and... yeah, mixed feelings about that one. I first heard about it on Twitter, and people were hyping the hell out of those gloriously over the top 2 page spread, flip book-esque sequences. They looked fantastic and I was all excited to start reading it because of those, but sadly they're not in the digital collections. Apparently Murata redrew those scenes for the collections, and the 2 page spreads are exclusive to the serialized edition of the series. It really bummed me out. It's still pretty enjoyable, but it's like watching an R-rated action movie on network television, you know?
    ~Ken

Quote Originally Posted by lostphrack View Post
    Hurray for manga!

What are folks reading now a days?

Just tried One Punch Man a few weeks ago and... yeah, mixed feelings about that one. I first heard about it on Twitter, and people were hyping the hell out of those gloriously over the top 2 page spread, flip book-esque sequences. They looked fantastic and I was all excited to start reading it because of those, but sadly they're not in the digital collections. Apparently Murata redrew those scenes for the collections, and the 2 page spreads are exclusive to the serialized edition of the series. It really bummed me out. It's still pretty enjoyable, but it's like watching an R-rated action movie on network television, you know?
    Yeah, the original artist isn't the greatest in the world. I don't think he even breaks even. On the other hand, his choreography usually holds up. I would say he has good timing, but it is in picture format.... And Murata's apparently been doing hte redraw in his spare time - possibly pro bono!

Any other Jojo fans? Been a fan ever since I saw a fansub on VHS back in the day ('99?). The new series has been doing a wonderful job, too. Joseph's been my favorite of the Jojo's, though I've only completely read through the first 5 arcs. Stone Ocean I had an issue with missing some chapters, and I've only gotten so far in Steel Ball Run. Not touched Jojolion.

Huh.... must be tired, think I babbled there.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Astonishing Member

I've read FMA, Akira, and Monster.

Could probably use some recommendations, I've gotten a bit bored with US comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

Could probably use some recommendations, I've gotten a bit bored with US comics.
    Berserk, Dorohedoro, Pandora Hearts, Blade of the Immortal, Pluto & 20th Century Boys.

Currently reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

Billy Bat, Black Jack, Buddha, Gon, Lone Wolf & Cub, Mushishi, Nausicaa, Real, Tekkonkinkreet and Vagabond.
    BB

BANNED

Currently reading:

The breaker new waves
    Bleach
    Dragons Rioting
    Cats Eye

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The only manga I am currently reading is Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond which I highly recommend. I've been looking forward to adding something new to my pull list but I'm not sure what yet. Ideally I'd like something finite as no to have to follow another title with over 300 chapters. I'd also like to get around to reading Naoki Urasawa's Monster because I thoroughly enjoyed the anime.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    The only manga I am currently reading is Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond which I highly recommend. I've been looking forward to adding something new to my pull list but I'm not sure what yet. Ideally I'd like something finite as no to have to follow another title with over 300 chapters. I'd also like to get around to reading Naoki Urasawa's Monster because I thoroughly enjoyed the anime.
    How about Inoue's Real?
    Or Makoto Yukimura's Vinland Saga? Kodansha has started to release it in hardcovers.
    I also recommend Urasawa's Pluto. It's not long, only 8 volumes. I prefer it (and 20th Century Boys) over to his Monster. Not that I don't like Monster but Pluto was much tighter work.
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    How about Inoue's Real?
    Or Makoto Yukimura's Vinland Saga? Kodansha has started to release it in hardcovers.
    I also recommend Urasawa's Pluto. It's not long, only 8 volumes. I prefer it (and 20th Century Boys) over to his Monster. Not that I don't like Monster but Pluto was much tighter work.
    Seconded, go for Pluto.

Check out Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers). I don't usually buy manga sadly. I always plan to, but I never pull the trigger. The only set I own is Ghost In The Shell 1, 1.5 and 2, which I never read :/. Great anime though!

I've been getting back into Jojo and I'm at part four! Four more to go! The craziness deepens from what I've heard.

Anyone ever read the boxing manga zero ? Pretty twisted

Also checking out RRR and rereading H2

I like to mix it up when it comes to manga sometimes old school, sometimes modern. I've read the early parts of Jojo. I don't know why I've never read it before, its a shonen fighter with classic rock references. I love the works of Shotaro Ishinomori. When it comes to modern I also read One Piece and I watch Case Closed. I really like Toriko and Lupin the Third.

Fallen behind on my Manga, several series I haven't finished yet. Anything new come out in the past year that gets a good recommendation?