Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manga Talk

Fantastic Member

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet (unless I missed it), and I don't read much manga now adays, but Hellsing by Kouta Hirano still has my favorite art of any comic book, bar none.

Fans of slick visuals should definitely check it out, though be warned its style only really develops from the third volume onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Haven't seen it mentioned here yet (unless I missed it), and I don't read much manga now adays, but Hellsing by Kouta Hirano still has my favorite art of any comic book, bar none.

Fans of slick visuals should definitely check it out, though be warned its style only really develops from the third volume onward.
    Hellsing is an interesting manga. Over the top at times, but it does a good job at portraying the Monstrous aspect of vampires you rarely see nowadays. It has a damn badass Dracula.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Hellsing is an interesting manga. Over the top at times, but it does a good job at portraying the Monstrous aspect of vampires you rarely see nowadays. It has a damn badass Dracula.
    It's definitely over the top, but in an intentionally comic-booky and always stylish way. And it has enough self-awareness and substance behind it so that it's not just an exercise in excess.

It's like a Tarantino movie with vampires.

Rurouni Kenshin is a fun manga series, I'm reading it these days

BANNED

lol, I never actually read it. I did see pretty much all the anime episodes though.

I saw up until episode 10 in the anime
    Decided to jump to the manga, easier to check the story

BANNED

Oh yeah no doubt a lot quicker if u read the manga but that was before i knew where to find manga.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'm rereading Hitoshi Okuda's Tenchi Muyo! comics right now, and he's so so good. He apparently got in trouble, at one point for doing everything himself for the better part of two of the US collections, telling his supposed assistants to use their worktime to focus on personal comics, which is a pretty classy way to get in trouble. And the quality never wavered, either, which makes it all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR League Unlimited View Post
    Rurouni Kenshin is a fun manga series, I'm reading it these days
    One of my favorite series! I was really excited when I heard Watsuki was returning to the Kenshin for the Restoration spin off... then I read Restoration, Vol. 1. Eh. I'll get around to vol. 2 eventually 'cause, well, it's only 2 volumes. Kinda curious about the upcoming Shishio one shot he has planned, but kind of nervous about it too.
    ~Ken

I recently purchased Nana series so, once I finish reading that it will be my first manga series

Mighty Member

New: UQ Holder seems interesting.

Old: I liked Dance in the Vampire Bund, although parts may make some flinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Currently reading:

The breaker new waves
    Bleach
    Dragons Rioting
    Cats Eye
    Dragons Rioting hell yeah!

Reading Gun x Clover at the moment. Pretty cool so far.

Amazing Member pearlofthepacific's Avatar

Gosh....I know I'm going to forget some....currently reading or recently re-read, including "swiped from son":

Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)...nice balance of "world" and "characters".
    Coppelion...the characters are not developed in much detail, but the "world" is interesting.
    Umimachi Diary (Diary of a Seaside Town) I enjoy the realistic human relationships and dialog.
    Thermae Romae (husband's big favorite)
    Otoyome-gatari (A Bride's Story, Kaoru Mori)...I just like anything she draws!
    Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon) by Arakawa Hiromu...good artwork and funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    It's definitely over the top, but in an intentionally comic-booky and always stylish way. And it has enough self-awareness and substance behind it so that it's not just an exercise in excess.

It's like a Tarantino movie with vampires.
    That's... yeah, that's probably the best way to describe Hellsing ever.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile