Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default All Star Batman #10 Preview/Discussion

Preview

Interview with Synder

This may be the first All Star Batman that I actually really enjoyed. May just jump into this arc.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What a preview. Miami Vice, Batman style. Rafael Albuquerque...amazing.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Always Rakzo

This was a pretty solid read. Once again, Snyder is able to deliver an exciting tale while using Batvillains in a solid manner.

Great art as well.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I really, really loathe the way Snyder's been pushing Alfred explicitly calling Bruce his son. I firmly believe that it is a father/son relationship, but I do not believe that Alfred would ever make it explicit. It feel lazy, using quick narration and dialogue to get an emotional reaction, instead of showing the relationship the way it has in the past, so that the readers understand without having to be hit over the head with "My son, Batman, is so precious to me, I worry about my son."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Bruce was awesome as always. And Alfred as well.

Vik is pretty interesting too.

Overall this is an issue of All Star that I actually enjoyed.
    My favorite characters of all time are Bruce Wayne and Dracula.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I've been excited about this since Scott told me about it at the Post Office!
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really, really loathe the way Snyder's been pushing Alfred explicitly calling Bruce his son. I firmly believe that it is a father/son relationship, but I do not believe that Alfred would ever make it explicit. It feel lazy, using quick narration and dialogue to get an emotional reaction, instead of showing the relationship the way it has in the past, so that the readers understand without having to be hit over the head with "My son, Batman, is so precious to me, I worry about my son."

For me, he's way more of a Father to Bruce, than Bruce is to Cass, Tim, Steph, Jason, and Dick. I see nothing wrong with this. There's been over 50+ issues where the relationship has been shown numerous times, and very well, too.

I'll always seen the boys as more of Bruce's brothers than his sons.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 05-10-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I never quite noticed it much, but this is a fair point that I think I agree with. I agree that the father/son thing should be more show than tell, because, yeah, it does not have a comic or non-comic history of being so overt. I think the same of Bruce/Dick, where they have a father/son relationship but not too overtly to the point of using "son" & etc.

That being said, it was Alfred's private narration, and I don't recall how many times Snyder has been so overt. But I could counter that point by saying I myself don't think Alfred even quite privately thinks about it like that too consciously.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-10-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    For me, he's way more of a Father to Bruce, than Bruce is to Cass, Tim, Steph, Jason, and Dick. I see nothing wrong with this. There's been over 50+ issues where the relationship has been shown numerous times, and very well, too.

I'll always seen the boys as more of Bruce's brothers than his sons.
    I'm not at all against Alfred feeling that way about Bruce, or acting that way. I'm against him saying it, because he's a British servant with a very ingrained sense of class and position in society.

I disagree with your points about Bruce's kids, but that's tangential to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I never quite noticed it much, but this is a fair point that I think I agree with. I agree that the father/son thing should be more show than tell, because, yeah, it does not have a comic or non-comic history of being so overt. I think the same of Bruce/Dick, where they have a father/son relationship but not too overtly to the point of using "son" & etc.

That being said, it was Alfred's private narration, and I don't recall how many times Snyder has been so overt. But I could counter that point by saying I myself don't think Alfred even quite privately thinks about it like that too consciously.
    Yeah - good point about Bruce and the non-Damian Robins. I really wish DC was interested in having Bruce adopt Cass again, since I think that would be a solid relationship to explore more.

Snyder did this at least once before, in the finale of Superheavy, where Bruce is breaking into the Batcave and Alfred begs him to not be Batman again. I hated it then, and I hate it here. It's too cheap - it disrespects the complexity of Alfred's character and relationship with Bruce, and doesn't do the work of showing that love (which I agree is there) without just using the words.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Couldn't shut this post out of my head reading this issue. Spot on.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

This was fantastic. As was the backup.

Albuquerque art is good, but it just looks too primitive, unfinished for me to say

And this time the Bellaire colors really murked up the art. Can't be 10/10 all the time I guess.

Princess Vik reminds me of Kravens daughter. Hopefully we get to see Bruce in the Siberian wilderness, I love snow settings