Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

To those questioning how Norman wasn't affected by his goblin formula, he clearly states on the page it won't have an affect because Spider-Man cured him.

To those questioning collateral damage. Peter and the wild pack were literally shown removing citizens from wherever they were and also only attacking the manufacturing buildings.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    To those questioning how Norman wasn't affected by his goblin formula, he clearly states on the page it won't have an affect because Spider-Man cured him.

To those questioning collateral damage. Peter and the wild pack were literally shown removing citizens from wherever they were and also only attacking the manufacturing buildings.
    Points well-made. I'll admit that I should have been paying closer attention to some details.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

Apparently, Sable and Bobbi may be playing big in the next issue, judging by the "ONLY SILVER SABLE AND MOCKINGBIRD STAND A CHANCE!".

And here's my review for Amazing Spider-Man #27. In short, I thought the elements for a fun, off-the-wall, action-packed issue were all there...but I just found it boring. Also, after this issue, I think Spider-Man may have found himself a new theme song.

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man vol. 4 #27 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Norman becomes more like the Joker every day.

This issue was not boring to me because I lost all my investiment on this Arc when all of the motivation behind Peter going after Norman Osborn, is not because of his sense of responsibilty or their traumatic history together! It is all because Peter Needs a Win!
    So the motivation behind this story falls flat, the main character is a selfish asshole because he is not doing out of his sense of responsibility but out of a desire to win, the comic gives half-assed excuses for how a character survived (God was that Stupid), the characters do things because the plot demands it (Mockingbird) and Peter is still portrayed as idiot for doing half of the S*** that he is doing with his company (Ie invading a contry to overthrow it's current regime without thinking of the state of his company).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRstarkiller360 View Post
    This issue was not boring to me because I lost all my investiment on this Arc when all of the motivation behind Peter going after Norman Osborn, is not because of his sense of responsibilty or their traumatic history together! It is all because Peter Needs a Win!
    So the motivation behind this story falls flat, the main character is a selfish asshole because he is not doing out of his sense of responsibility but out of a desire to win, the comic gives half-assed excuses for how a character survived (God was that Stupid), the characters do things because the plot demands it (Mockingbird) and Peter is still portrayed as idiot for doing half of the S*** that he is doing with his company (Ie invading a contry to overthrow it's current regime without thinking of the state of his company).
    In any situation, at any point in time, if Peter found out that Norman Osborn had essentially taken over a country and was using their facilities to manufacture arms, Peter would seek to end that with any resources at his disposal. Luckily he has a lot of resources at his disposal right now. Even if he didn't "need a win", he'd be doing the same exact thing. His sense of responsibility and the history of his battles with Norman are every bit a part of what's driving him to do this.

It's just that the emotional ordeal of his fight with the Jackal and all its shades of gray has him ready to have a battle where the stakes are clear cut and the line between good and evil is unblurred.

As for how Sable survived, it's fine. How it is any more half-assed than the last minute escapes from death that countless comic characters have managed over the years?

And in every single story, characters do thing because the plot demands it. Bobbi quitting S.H.I.E.L.D. is not out of character. She believes in what Peter's doing and can't assist him if she's still a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

And as for Peter being reckless with his company, I find it funny that people get angry at Peter for not making sound business decisions. This is a superhero book, not a story about how to be a successful CEO. Of course Peter's going to make some impulsive decisions. And, really, what's the good of having the resources of a huge tech company behind you if you can't use it to go head to head with a Goblin Army? If you're worried about the welfare of Peter's employees, it might help to keep in mind that they're not real people. This is a comic book. No one's going to lose their insurance if PI goes under. And as Slott already has whatever end point there is to PI mapped out, I'm sure things will be ok one way or another. Stark Enterprises has suffered how many hits over the years due to Tony's behavior and yet life is able to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    In any situation, at any point in time, if Peter found out that Norman Osborn had essentially taken over a country and was using their facilities to manufacture arms, Peter would seek to end that with any resources at his disposal. Luckily he has a lot of resources at his disposal right now. Even if he didn't "need a win", he'd be doing the same exact thing. His sense of responsibility and the history of his battles with Norman are every bit a part of what's driving him to do this.
    I would agree however here are two things that makes me disagree :
    The fact that when you read this comic you don't sense that there is a terrible history between these two characters because all I see is Peter wanting a win.
    There is also the fact that if Peter knew something like that about Osborn, like he was running the goverment of a foreng contry and manufacturing arms, I would also wager that he would try to stop him, by trying use different tactics rather than just invade a country with an army of his own and endagering the lives of thousands of people!

It's just that the emotional ordeal of his fight with the Jackal and all its shades of gray has him ready to have a battle where the stakes are clear cut and the line between good and evil is unblurred.
    Well the evil wasn't blurred anymore when the Jakal aka Ben27 went ahead and said that he would rebuild the world with Clones like the original Jakal wanted after Spider-Man said no to Ben and Otto tried to kill the world because they hurt Anna's feelings. I would say that is preatty freaking evil.

As for how Sable survived, it's fine. How it is any more half-assed than the last minute escapes from death that countless comic characters have managed over the years?
    It doesn't matter because they are still half-assed and I will always call them out on how bad and half assed they are and this one is no different!
    PS : How come the Rhino doesn't have a scar in his eye after that ?

And in every single story, characters do thing because the plot demands it. Bobbi quitting S.H.I.E.L.D. is not out of character. She believes in what Peter's doing and can't assist him if she's still a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.
    But it should be the characters driving the plot and not the plot driving the characters.

And as for Peter being reckless with his company, I find it funny that people get angry at Peter for not making sound business decisions. This is a superhero book, not a story about how to be a successful CEO. Of course Peter's going to make some impulsive decisions. And, really, what's the good of having the resources of a huge tech company behind you if you can't use it to go head to head with a Goblin Army? If you're worried about the welfare of Peter's employees, it might help to keep in mind that they're not real people. This is a comic book. No one's going to lose their insurance if PI goes under. And as Slott already has whatever end point there is to PI mapped out, I'm sure things will be ok one way or another. Stark Enterprises has suffered how many hits over the years due to Tony's behavior and yet life is able to go on.
    But isn't it irresponsible for Peter the CEO of multinacional company to invade a country in order to depose it's current regime when his company is at it's worst after Clone Conspiracy thus endagering the livelihoods of thousands of his employers because it can make the company backrupt even more sso after it was considered no better than HYDRA by SHIELD itself ?
    And I know it how Slott will map out the end : Peter's face in the mudd being humiliated for it, with Otto being the one laughing out loud and coming out on top.

BANNED

I would agree however here are two things that makes me disagree :
    The fact that when you read this comic you don't sense that there is a terrible history between these two characters because all I see is Peter wanting a win.
    There is also the fact that if Peter knew something like that about Osborn, like he was running the goverment of a foreng contry and manufacturing arms, I would also wager that he would try to stop him, by trying use different tactics rather than just invade a country with an army of his own and endagering the lives of thousands of people!
    We see in the issue that Peter is taking every step possible to protect innocent people. And by fighting Norman, he's freeing them from the oppression they're under.

And as Norman is well ensconced in this country with enough weapons to arm several nations, going in as Peter does with all the firepower he can is the only way to get at Norman. This isn't a problem he can just webswing in to deal with.

Well the evil wasn't blurred anymore when the Jakal aka Ben27 went ahead and said that he would rebuild the world with Clones like the original Jakal wanted after Spider-Man said no to Ben and Otto tried to kill the world because they hurt Anna's feelings. I would say that is preatty freaking evil.
    But yet it all started with the Jackal giving people their loved ones back. A noble goal at heart but also deeply wrong. There was no way to win that fight and feel totally good about it. The world was saved but not without much heartbreak along the way.

It doesn't matter because they are still half-assed and I will always call them out on how bad and half assed they are and this one is no different!
    PS : How come the Rhino doesn't have a scar in his eye after that ?
    If you're going to complain about every improbable escape that every character in comics makes, you might as well stop reading comics.

And the Rhino's tough. Either it didn't leave a mark or it healed up.

But it should be the characters driving the plot and not the plot driving the characters.
    It's not out of character for Bobbi to turn her back on S.H.I.E.L.D. in order to help Peter. There's nothing implausible about her decision.

But isn't it irresponsible for Peter the CEO of multinacional company to invade a country in order to depose it's current regime when his company is at it's worst after Clone Conspiracy thus endagering the livelihoods of thousands of his employers because it can make the company backrupt even more sso after it was considered no better than HYDRA by SHIELD itself ?
    And I know it how Slott will map out the end : Peter's face in the mudd being humiliated for it, with Otto being the one laughing out loud and coming out on top.
    So Peter should ignore what Norman's up to because he's afraid of his company looking bad? That wouldn't be very heroic. Or responsible, for that matter - not when he has the power to step up and do something.

Imagine trying to tell a story where Norman was using a country as a base to ship arms out to the world and Peter's reaction to that is "I'd like to do something about this but, you know, the timing's just not good. Gotta think about my company's rep. Maybe wait till things cool down." That wouldn't be so hot.

This is a situation where Peter should be impetuous. He should charge in. What will happen to PI as a result? Well, we'll see.

But companies in comics like Wayne Enterprises, Stark International and Kord Industries have all suffered due to being run by superheroes. No one ever cries about the poor employees, even when these companies have gone under at different times. Parker Industries should be treated no different.

And as much as many are predicting that this PI era will end with Peter failing and Otto triumphant, I'm betting it won't go down quite like that. But we'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 05-13-2017 at 08:48 PM.

All-New Member

Doesn't it seem like he is going crazy/mad the more the story goes along, despite the fact that he attests that he is immune from the goblin serum and in possession of his wits? I'm beginning to think that Slott is starting to infer that the Goblin Serum was NOT the thing that made Norman crazy....He was ALREADY on his way to the loony bin....

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Just because Norman says that he is not crazy and not affected by the Goblin Serum, it doesn't mean that it is true. Back in a Gathering of the Five, he stated/was certain that he won the POWER, when it turned out that he won the MADNESS instead...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Profnewell View Post
    Doesn't it seem like he is going crazy/mad the more the story goes along, despite the fact that he attests that he is immune from the goblin serum and in possession of his wits? I'm beginning to think that Slott is starting to infer that the Goblin Serum was NOT the thing that made Norman crazy....He was ALREADY on his way to the loony bin....
    Plausible enough. What really set him off on the path to the Goblin formula was the death of Harry's mother...he went through some excessive workhours.

Quote Originally Posted by Profnewell View Post
    I think that's always been the case.

Norman always had a mentally unstable part of himself, a part of him that was the Goblin, the Goblin Serum only brought it out to the forefront.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Norman becomes more like the Joker every day.
    I was thinking the same thing. And honestly, I'd love to see this end on a Joker-esque note, with Norman falling to his "death" into a giant vat of Goblin formula ... the heavy dose of which would, of course, turn him back into the Green Goblin and kickstart his healing factor, fixing his face.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. And honestly, I'd love to see this end on a Joker-esque note, with Norman falling to his "death" into a giant vat of Goblin formula ... the heavy dose of which would, of course, turn him back into the Green Goblin and kickstart his healing factor, fixing his face.
    That would be an interesting twist, having Spider-Man wind up somewhat responsible for "recreating" the Green Goblin, souring whatever victory he manages to achieve against Norman Osborn in the conclusion of this arc.
    The spider is always on the hunt.