Page 108 of 120 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1789
    TrueWWFan

OMG OMG OMG! My heart just stopped! AAAAAHHHHHH! http://www.slashfilm.com/saturday-ni...ason-43-hosts/

TrueWWFan

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I wonder...could it be peer influence making the guys say they didn't like it? I ask because, everyone I talk to, of all ages, had something that they loved about it. Most genuinely loved the movie, and very few had anything that they especially didn't like. It speaks differently to everyone (and i am with you on feeling it...over and over...probably 100 times by now) but I wonder if the male students feel pressure to say they didn't like it.
    I would love to say it's boy pressure, but the boys I've spoken to weren't in the presence of other boys. Also, my young teen female students don't really get it either, though they all said they loved it. I took a large group of them to see it over the summer and they all cried A LOT, but only because Steve died. 'Sigh' I know that's sad and everything, and definitely tear-worthy, but I'm crying through the whole thing for completely different reasons. LOL! Can you believe they didn't shed a tear during No Man's Land? Not one of them!
    Last edited by TrueWWFan; 09-22-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueWWFan View Post
    Went back to Target today and saw that they took down the Wonder Woman DVD display already because they're out of her DVDs except for a few copies scattered throughout the store! WOW! It's only been available two days! Has anyone else noticed this? Is she breaking DVD sales records too? That would be amazing!
    BvS shattered a bunch of home video sales records despite all the controversy and negative reviews. I can't imagine Wonder Woman NOT breaking home video sales records.

Off to a good start, it would seem!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I saw this and thought of this thread. It was interesting hearing her thoughts on Wonder Woman, especially since this trailer was her first introduction. Mild warning, her mic was having a bit of a problem.

I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Wow. James Cameron is just determined to turn everyone against his movies, isn't he? Does he really think there won't be a backlash when he FINALLY turns out those new Avatar movies?

Keep it up, pal. Just keep it up.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

"Linda looked great. She just wasn't treated as a sex object. There was nothing sexual about her character."
    LMAO! I'm pretty sure the first pair of **** I remember seeing as a kid were Linda Hamilton's in Terminator 1. So I call bull, on that James.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    "Linda looked great. She just wasn't treated as a sex object. There was nothing sexual about her character."
    LMAO! I'm pretty sure the first pair of **** I remember seeing as a kid were Linda Hamilton's in Terminator 1. So I call bull, on that James.
    And even in T2, our first shot of her was her doing chin ups in her cell in the mental hospital while wearing a thin white tank top with no bra underneath. Pretty sure that was the first time I began to appreciate the sexiness of good muscle tone on a woman.

But nope! Nothing sexual there at all! Linda was just a sexless ball of pure badassery! Totes!

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Retired

I imagine if there's any effect on WONDER WOMAN from Jim's comments it's probably increasing sales for the movie. Beyond that I don't think it counts for much. He's so far away from the release of his Avatar and Terminator sequels that it shouldn't have any impact on them.

I admire the guy for his achievements in cinema and technology, but it's weird that he can't see his own work in an objective way. There's so much of the male gaze in his movies--and this is the thing that's remarkable about Patty's WONDER WOMAN, there's no male gaze there.

One thing I'm curious about is the Amazons learning many languages on the island. I get it when they were in the outside world but why keep this on the island? Then again it's interesting since that shows some longing for the outside world. However, I do question how they can speak English since they wouldn't have known English due to it not being developed unless before the gods died made the Amazons learn all the languages that will come.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-27-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One thing I'm curious about is the Amazons learning many languages on the island. I get it when they were in the outside world but why keep this on the island? Then again it's interesting since that shows some longing for the outside world. However, I do question how they can speak English since they wouldn't have known English due to it not being developed unless before the gods died made the Amazons learn all the languages that will come.
    To me, it looked more like the Amazons just had some kind of innate magical ability to understand languages. Realistically, there's no way they should know English because English didn't exist in any recognizable form the last time the Amazons were in the world. MAYBE they may understand Latin and were able to extrapolate English from that, but that's a BIG stretch. For that matter, Spanish, French, German, and Belgian didn't exist in their current forms at that time either, and I doubt the Amazons had any contact with the Chinese before they left the world either.

Possibly the most difficult to believe language was Diana understanding Blackfoot from Chief. The Blackfoot tribe sure as HECK never crossed the Atlantic and wandered across the Mediterranean world. Their language should not even have any similarities to most of the other languages the Amazons may have encountered.

No, it seemed to me like the Amazons just had some unique ability to understand nearly any form of communication that they encountered and could learn it quickly. Nothing else really makes sense. Unless the Amazons can, and have, left Themiscyra and travelled the world learning new languages as history progressed, it would make no sense for them to have any knowledge of modern languages.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Makes sense as many of the Amazons do have some connection to the earth

Retired

Obviously, while there is not much communication between the Amazons and the outside world, there are birds on the island. These birds must migrate between the island and the outside world. When the birds are in our world they pick up our languages. And when the birds return to the island they convey our languages to the Amazons.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Why is James Cameron comparing Sarah Conner to Wonder Woman? They're both different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    To me, it looked more like the Amazons just had some kind of innate magical ability to understand languages. Realistically, there's no way they should know English because English didn't exist in any recognizable form the last time the Amazons were in the world. MAYBE they may understand Latin and were able to extrapolate English from that, but that's a BIG stretch. For that matter, Spanish, French, German, and Belgian didn't exist in their current forms at that time either, and I doubt the Amazons had any contact with the Chinese before they left the world either.

Possibly the most difficult to believe language was Diana understanding Blackfoot from Chief. The Blackfoot tribe sure as HECK never crossed the Atlantic and wandered across the Mediterranean world. Their language should not even have any similarities to most of the other languages the Amazons may have encountered.

No, it seemed to me like the Amazons just had some unique ability to understand nearly any form of communication that they encountered and could learn it quickly. Nothing else really makes sense. Unless the Amazons can, and have, left Themyscira and traveled the world learning new languages as history progressed, it would make no sense for them to have any knowledge of modern languages.
    "We speak hundreds of languages. We are the bridge to a greater understanding between all men."

I agree. I think it's a kind of 'magical' innate ability among the Amazons. It's a big part of why they were created.
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 09-28-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.