Page 68 of 120 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1789
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    He never said he came out of the entire movie feeling short changed. He said he gave the movie 7.5 out of 10 (not 2, not 3.4, not 4.9, but way over 50%) in terms of what he liked about the movie. He said on this very thread that he would have given it 8.5 out of 10 if they had portrayed her with all of the powers, in her first film in almost 80 years, that she has possessed in comics and animation for the past 30 years. Even though I felt short changed about this aspect of the film, especially since it was teased, I still gave it 8.8 out of 10, and I described several pages ago, all the things I liked about the film.

But this isn't about liking the film because if I hated the film, that is my prerogative given the title of this thread. This is about being able to express a variety of opinions on a website that describes itself as a community or forum, without posters harassing, baiting, or rebuking others for have an opposing view. It appears as if the rules are enforced for some people and not for others, given what I have observed.
    Well said, but after viewing it a 2nd and 3rd time my own rating has it at an 8/10 with the possibility of going to 9/10 and saying it is the best superhero movie I have seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Well said, but after viewing it a 2nd and 3rd time my own rating has it at an 8/10 with the possibility of going to 9/10 and saying it is the best superhero movie I have seen so far.
    I give it a 13. And today I'll give it a 14.

But seriously. For my part, it's the best movie I've ever seen. Especially after seeing how it affected a couple pre-teen girls and their mom, my friend. That really sealed it for me.
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 06-16-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Thats what I felt he was saying - he and Diana would be the Zeus and Hera to a new race of gods.

Perez's original story about Ares dying without humsns to worshthim is brilliantly told but fraught with problems. If the gods cannot exist without humans, how did they exist first? And yet thectitans were definitely pre-human.
    There's always the idea--found in Sandman, for instance--that enough belief is powerful enough to change the past as well as the present and future. So, if enough people believe strongly enough that they were preceded, and maybe even created, by the gods, then that's how it was (even if, in some naturalistic prior draft of history, there would have been gods.)

It's paradoxical, but that's what makes mythology trippy.

"God created man in his own image. And man, being a gentleman, returned the favor." -- Rousseau

But I agree with you and Vanguard about Ares' plan in the movie. And even if gods do need humans to believe in them--well, Diana is part human. So maybe her belief can keep them going for awhile.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 06-16-2017 at 05:27 AM.

https://youtu.be/fSV33i1_FQk

Aren't most superhero films taking something from each other ?

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I give it a 13. And today I'll give it a 14. ;P

But seriously. For my part, it's the best movie I've ever seen. Especially after seeing how it affected a couple pre-teen girls and their mom, my friend. That really sealed it for me.
    Yeah, on first viewing, I would probably give it a 12, even with all the distractions around me when watching it!

Extraordinary Member

The movie has now surpassed Man of Steel, BVS, and Suicide Squad for second week box office totals.

It also passed MOS and BVS for TOTAL box office after two weeks, and is only just trailing SS in that regard, (but looks set to pass it easily by this time next week.

WOO WOO!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The movie has now surpassed Man of Steel, BVS, and Suicide Squad for second week box office totals.

It also passed MOS and BVS for TOTAL box office after two weeks, and is only just trailing SS in that regard, (but looks set to pass it easily by this time next week.

WOO WOO!
    I never knew SUICIDE SQUAD did so well. The posts on the message boards make it seem like it was the worst failure of the three. But for the record, I liked all three of those movies; however, I love WONDER WOMAN and think it is one of the best super-hero movies ever made.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never knew SUICIDE SQUAD did so well. The posts on the message boards make it seem like it was the worst failure of the three. But for the record, I liked all three of those movies; however, I love WONDER WOMAN and think it is one of the best super-hero movies ever made.
    The box office certainly agrees with you, as Wonder Woman is on its way to becoming one of the best box-office super-hero movie with a single lead [ie not ensemble movies like Avengers and Civil War] in movie history.

Here is the current state of play. Stars are where WW has scored a win.

Two stars in the 2nd Mon-Fri total vs BVS because Wonder Woman did DOUBLE that movies take. All figures adjusted into 2017 dollars, naturally

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Gotta ask some of the older fans here something seeing as I've only been reading comics for a few years. How does it feel to see Diana completely blow up in the mainstream like this? Her movie is about to outgross a Batman/Superman flick domestically. It has to be incredibly gratifying

Yep! I have waited a very long time to see Diana on the big screen! It is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If we just go by cost vs box office world wide, Suicide Squad is the most profitable so far.

Man of Steel - $225 million for $668 million - made 3 times as much as it cost.
    Batman v Superman - $250 million for $873 million - made 3.5 times as much as it cost
    Suicide Squad - $175 million for $746 million - made 4.25 times as much as it cost
    Wonder Woman - $149 million for $490 million so far - made 3.28 times as much as it cost, so far.

Wonder Woman has a way to go still and will easily top the profit ratio of BvS and maybe even SS. Or at least come close to SS.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

WB just needs to quit throwing so much money in the production costs. I can't see the books or the process, but why did BvS take $250 million to make? Why? Max it should have been $200 million. Credit to Disney as they generally keep their costs down. Then again, they own like 5 channels to advertise for "free," which also helps them.

Anyway,

The box office run for Wonder Woman is nothing short of spectacular.
    Her foreign numbers are dragging a little, but the movie picks up some of its last remaining markets this weekend and next.
    Hughes is saying the movie should be sitting over $550 million worldwide by the end of Sunday:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#1e2a2db7cf22

He's keeping his estimate right around $685 million worldwide by the time it finishes. I think there's a small chance it breaks $700 million. It has to keep its legs through Cars 3, Transformers, and Spiderman, though.

Retired

I always thought that if they just let Wonder Woman be Wonder Woman on the big screen then people would love it. It was getting there that was the hard bit.

The advantage that this movie has over the other blockbusters this summer is that it's new. Everything else seems to be a sequel or a reboot of a franchise. And while some people like to go to movies that repeat what they've seen before, a lot more people like to see something that's new.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Not really because his motivations are different here. He's more of a misguided extremist who thinks that he's saving the world. He does see war as his "reason for being." As he says "I'm not the god of war, I'm the god of truth."

The question that I (and others) were answering before was "why did Ares become her big godly nemesis and not the other gods." And the simple answer, both in the comics and in the film, is that he fits that role much better than the other gods.
    My issue is not with the bare idea of Ares being WW's nemesis. I myself gave a reason to justify this. But the movie-version has really dubious reasons for wanting to end mankind, and that's a separate issue.

So he says he's the "god of truth," but the only connotation it has in that scene is that he can reveal the ugly truth about humankind: that it's easy to gull us into wasting our energies in conflict. That's still not a very profound reason for wanting to do away with humankind. Why does he want the world to revert to a bucolic paradise w/o people? What's he going to do once that's the state of things and he's the only god of that world, assuming he doesn't succeed in tempting the God-Killer to join him? These are questions the writers didn't ask because they guessed-- correctly-- that the audience would get caught up in Diana's struggle and not get too exercised about Ares' motives for becoming the God of Get These Kids Off My Lawn.

I don't think the flaw spoils the film, BTW. But it is a flaw IMO, and it wouldn't have been that tough to correct.