Page 101 of 120 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1789

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Ha! I love how Ripley is doing the "He's crazy" gesture as she and Sarah lead him away!

Good stuff!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

TrueWWFan

LOL! The cartoon is freakin' awesome! And so are most of your opinions on this issue, guys! I agree with nearly everything that's been said (except the ones that take Cameron's side in any way, shape or form, of course!). Since when do all female role models have to be gritty and messed up in the head to be admirable? That's like saying all male role models have to be like Batman. Superman, Captain America and Thor have their place in the world too, even if they are clean-cut, innocent, compassionate, stable, and sexy men.

Bottom line, "sexy" doesn't equal "sexist"! It's only when a person's sex appeal is their only major attribute that sexism comes into play. Attractiveness applies to men and women equally and does not represent discrimination. And Patty never lets the camera zoom in on WW's breasts or butt gratuitously, so I'm completely satisfied! Also, we have to keep in mind Diana is mostly a goddess, so being beautiful and perfect in many ways comes with the territory. No different from Superman and Thor. They can't be measured by human standards.

I agree that it's stupid to say that Sarah and Ripley aren't sexy women. That's a load of crap! They're gorgeous! And for Cameron to say that Sarah is a "bad mother" means he doesn't even understand his own character. She's not just the mother of John Connor, she's the mother of the future of the world! The ENTIRE world relies on her ability to keep John alive and safe and to toughen him as much as she can. I'd say she did the best she could under her circumstances. What she had to do doesn't even equate to real motherhood. It's beyond imagining. What mother alive at any point in history can possibly relate to her experiences?

Thanks for all of your great insights into this issue, everyone!

TrueWWFan

Oh, and about the romance thing, it's just another expression of love, which is what WW is all about. All the other male heroes have romantic partners and no one reads anything sexist into that. Again, SEX doesn't equal SEXIST!

Hahaha. PERFECT! That says it all!

Someone should send him a copy, lol! I wonder if he would get it???

TrueWWFan

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hahaha. PERFECT! That says it all!

Someone should send him a copy, lol! I wonder if he would get it???
    I was thinking the same thing, but I can't find the original on deviantart. How can I get to the site with the original? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    And even he doesn't always do such women, if you think about it.

Remember Neytiri? What was her emotional damage? Where were HER glaring character flaws? Now, you could argue that she's not that conventionally attractive: although I know I found her hot.......I have weird tastes, alright?

Seriously, Neytiri and Diana aren't actually all that different as characters. Strong leaders and warriors? Check! Compassionate? Check! Touch of naivete? Check! Has a love interest from a very different world from her own? Check!
    Cameron flat out told Playboy that Nettie was designed to be as sexually appealing as possible. He even polled his own writing team to determine her attractiveness level.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Cameron flat out told Playboy that Nettie was designed to be as sexually appealing as possible. He even polled his own writing team to determine her attractiveness level.
    Well, that pretty much tells the tale, doesn't it?

I guess the only way he can rationalize that is if Brett is correct and he simply doesn't consider Neytiri to be on the same level because she wasn't the true lead of the movie. Otherwise, he's really showing his colors as a thundering hypocrite.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

With regards to Cameron... his arguments fall flat simply on the fact that his female leads, whenever he wants them to or not, falls into 2nd place in his movies compared to his male and monster stars. Like do you remember Ripley first or the Xenomorph? Do you remember Sarah Connor over the Terminator?

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Perhaps a touch of karma? ...

For comparison, WW made an estimated $485,000 on Fri.
    (10 characters)

Right on, Juan678!

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    With regards to Cameron... his arguments fall flat simply on the fact that his female leads, whenever he wants them to or not, falls into 2nd place in his movies compared to his male and monster stars. Like do you remember Ripley first or the Xenomorph? Do you remember Sarah Connor over the Terminator?
    Depends on who you talk to I think. Many people I know don't even know what the alien was called but remember Ripley's name and I'd argue that the name "Connor" is as synonymous with the Terminator franchise as the titular robot.

Astonishing Member

Terminator 2: Judgment Day returned to theaters this weekend, via 463 3D auditoriums. The James Cameron action classic earned around $275,000 yesterday for what will likely be a $880k weekend.
    Weekend Update - Terminator 2 3D did worse than expected - making an estimated $582,300 for the weekend.

Meanwhile, WW made $1,685,000.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

And why are we giving credit for Ridley to Cameron? As far as I know, he had no involvement in the original that established Ripley as the bad### she is. Alien was directed by Ridley Scott, and written by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett. Cameron didn't get involved until the sequel.

I don't know. The whole James Cameron thing. There's a lot going on here. Women don't have to be gritty and uglied up to be badass or respected. Gal Gadot is perfect looking, she actually looks like she was molded out of clay. But as a hetero dude, I never had the drooling face like I did for other movies starring sexy women. The Wonder Woman movie was way more than that. There's no ass shots or anything like that. It's a straight forward super hero movie that stars a beautiful girl instead of a beautiful man. The dudes in Batman V Superman were shot more sexy than WW was in her flick.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrueWWFan View Post

I agree that it's stupid to say that Sarah and Ripley aren't sexy women. That's a load of crap! They're gorgeous! And for Cameron to say that Sarah is a "bad mother" means he doesn't even understand his own character. She's not just the mother of John Connor, she's the mother of the future of the world! The ENTIRE world relies on her ability to keep John alive and safe and to toughen him as much as she can. I'd say she did the best she could under her circumstances. What she had to do doesn't even equate to real motherhood. It's beyond imagining. What mother alive at any point in history can possibly relate to her experiences?
    Hippolyta?

But in this, I agree with Cameron. Sarah Connor in T2 is a crap mother. But that is exactly Patty's point - that you don't have to have to be a complete basket case in order to be a badass action role model. You don't have to be borderline psychotic to be a strong lead character. Characters like Captain America, Superman [usually] and Indianna Jones are neither of those things and yet they are accepted as still being strong characters. Even characters who have some lurking skeletons in the closet or lingering angst like Dr Strange, Iron Man and TV's Flash are not a quarter as unbalanced as movie Sarah Connor.

Cameron's statement was to the effect that the only way for a woman to be a strong role model in an superhero action movie was for her to be a female version of Batman. And not the grim gritty Keaton or Bale version - the really semi-unhinged brand villains and blow them up Batman from BVS. Patty was trying to point out to him that women should have the chance to play characters with the same nuances and varieties as men, not just the single note he was talking about from his own movies.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor