Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120
Results 1,786 to 1,789 of 1789
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    And every housewife on every Bravo show says girl... so did Bea, Betty, and Rue... and Estelle!
    Bringing it back around to WONDER WOMAN (to stay on topic), this is how period pieces are inauthentic. They will give some of the flavour of the language at that time, but not the full monty. Because we couldn't take it. People would be demonstrating in the streets, if the characters in the movies talked the way that people really talked in those days. As it was, the generals in WONDER WOMAN said some harsh things but nowhere near what they would have said in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That's great!

I really loved her acting in that scene. You really felt what she was feeling.

I don't want to give any more attention to that other thread about Gal's acting, but my own opinion is that some folks can't see past the accent and the good looks. It's like they wouldn't believe Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich or Ingrid Bergman were great actresses--simply because they had foreign accents and were stunningly beautiful.
    There have been many lingusitic studies that explore how linguistic attitudes shape our perceptions and creates a series of distinct cognitive processes whenever a linguistic community listens to anyone speaking that community's native language with an "accent," and believe me...most of those processes involve stereotyping, categorization, and a whole bunch of socially codified attitudes. If you ever get a chance and read Rosina Lippi-Green's book "English with an Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States," you will get a fascinating peek at how Americans who speak so-called Standard American English see foreigners depending on the accent. And overall, unless you have an accent that is associated with England, Americans' perception of people like Gal or Salma Hayek (to give two examples) will most likely default to "Can't understand anything she says" to "she is a bad actress"... So, yep...I am not surprised that so many people dismiss Gal. I, on the other hand, appreciate her acting because acting is way more than just spoken words.
    She nailed the role and was phenomenal in it, and film critics agree.

Yay, Gal won Best Actress at the Saturn Awards: https://www.cnet.com/news/the-last-j...saturn-awards/

How many Amazons currently reside on Themyscira? Was there ever a number provided for Amazonian population? The battle scene in JL made it seem like there were a few hundred at least.
    Last edited by nj06; 07-15-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!