Page 15 of 120 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I think WWI is a much better setting for Diana's debut.

Like all writers, Marston was affected by the events in which he was writing. WWII was going on while he was writing Wonder Woman. No one cared about WWI at that point. So it made sense for Marston to set his story in WWII, given the circumstances.

But if Wonder Woman's mission is to bring peace, it makes more sense to have her debut during the first truly global human conflict in history. I mean, what? Did Ares just sit out WWI, for some reason, but decided to get off his butt and cause trouble the NEXT time humanity looked poised to tear itself apart? Add to that: WWII is better remembered by people because it was one of the few truly "righteous" wars in human history. There were clear "bad guys" and "good guys." The Nazis were bad. They HAD to be stopped, no matter the cost. innocent people were being threatened with annihilation for no good reason. The Allies were the world's superheroes, swooping in to save the day.

WWI? Not so much. Much more morally ambiguous. NOBODY really looked "good" or "righteous" in WWI. It was one of the most pointless wastes of human life in history. Men died by the tens of thousands for basically no reason. Historians couldn't even say "Yeah, all those men died, but at least their deaths served some higher purpose and paved the way for a greater victory later on." It was just senseless slaughter that didn't need to happen and that ultimately served no higher purpose.

A war like WWI is much more pleasing to Ares, who just loves bloodshed for its own sake.

Also? WWII, since it was much less morally ambiguous, is a bad war for Diana to come into looking to end the conflict peacefully. If Wonder Woman shows up in WWI and yells "What are you DOING! Stop this mindless violence NOW!" we can easily agree with her and root for her. If, on the other hand, she were to show up in WWII and try to peacefully resolve it? Suddenly, it's not so easy. Because while Diana is trying to get the Axis and the Allies to sit down and make nice, innocent people are still being slaughtered in concentration camps. And of course, we all know, there was no reasoning with Hitler, so Diana's efforts to stop WWII peacefully just looks like a good way for her to delay the fall of the Axis and more people are dying while she's trying to negotiate.
    I agree with all of this.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Mighty Member

spoilers:
    Is diana brought to life by Zeus or is she hai daughter?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hkgkindaichi View Post
    so they need to tell more about life on Themyscira before Diana leave
    I saw the film last week. They did a good job of showing Themyscira. We didn't need anymore after she left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    spoilers:
    Is diana brought to life by Zeus or is she hai daughter?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's the Zeus origin
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I saw the film last week. They did a good job of showing Themyscira. We didn't need anymore after she left.
    On this I agree.

Now, depending on how many movies Gal is going to want to do, when and if she is done, I would like for her to return home and be reunite with her Mother. But only at the end of Gal's Story with Wonder Woman.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    On this I agree.

Now, depending on how many movies Gal is going to want to do, when and if she is done, I would like for her to return home and be reunite with her Mother. But only at the end of Gal's Story with Wonder Woman.
    Why do you feel she needs to go back?

Any easter eggs or cameos by other Justice League members?

I know the time period makes it nearly impossible but what about someone like Jay Garrick or other JSA members?

Why do you feel she needs to go back?
    So her Mother can know she's alright. That she is still alive, and that she's destroyed Ares. That she has left her mark on the world, and that maybe its time for the Amazons to be apart of Man's World once again.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    So her Mother can know she's alright. That she is still alive, and that she's destroyed Ares. That she has left her mark on the world, and that maybe its time for the Amazons to be apart of Man's World once again.
    I like Rucka's idea of her mother and the amazons already knowing she is alright by the patrons giving the amazons messages about her.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Any easter eggs or cameos by other Justice League members?

I know the time period makes it nearly impossible but what about someone like Jay Garrick or other JSA members?
    spoilers:
    WW remembers the WW1 story by Bruce sending a physical photo of WW back during WW1 with her squad(same photo from bvs emails). That's the only DC cameo.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

On track to be the best reviewed comic book inspired movie ever: https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...reviews-2017-5

They need to get Patty Jenkins to direct MOS 2.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I like Rucka's idea of her mother and the amazons already knowing she is alright by the patrons giving the amazons messages about her.
    This isn't Rucka's Wonder Woman though. Its the DCEU. Gal is not going to always want to play Wonder Woman, and the movieverse will be rebooted eventually. So when Gal's story of Wonder Woman is completed, and before they reboot the franchise, I want some closure with her and her Mother. A Happy Ending.
    Richard Alexander

Incredible Member

Foolish question I know, but how do I do spoiler tags? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Incredible Member

I was fortunate enough to win tickets to attend a preview screening down under. It's a good film. Not perfect. Not great. But, definitely a solid, enjoyable film. It's easily my favourite out of the DCEU and, although I'm sure some will hate the comparison, it felt more like a Marvel film (which is a good thing IMHO). I'd probably rate it a solid 8/10.

I'm sure it's obvious, but I can't figure out how to wrap spoilers, so I'll just write the following in white which I hope is okay.

My main quibbles with the film would be:

spoilers:
    - the villain bait and switch. They clearly set up Houston to be Ares, including Dr Poison manufacturing a special gas to give him a boost of "godly" power, yet seemingly revealed that Thewlis was actually Ares. I'll be seeing it again, but that seemed to come out of nowhere and all of Ares' monologuing about his grand plans didn't really help to explain the reveal either. Ares was influencing Houston's character and Dr Poison "secretly", but was influencing the allies in-person? Why? I didn't see the need for him to actually be play acting as a "goodie", unless he just did it for kicks. Or because he anticipated the "god killer" siding with the allies, so wanted to be around to identify the god killer? I kept expecting him to say that Houston was at least his demi-god son to explain Houston's (temporary) god-like abilities, but nothing was said. If Dr Poison could turn ALL German soldiers into super-soldiers, even if only for a few minutes, surely that would have been of interest and assistance to the Germans? Maybe not quite as much as a gas that can kill everything, but it still seemed like a highly valuable invention.
    - I can tolerate Diana as Zeus' son, but I'm pretty concerned that she was conceived solely to be a weapon, the aptly named "god killer". I guess it makes her choice to fight with love and compassion all the more endearing, but it was pretty disturbing. Diana was basically only born because Zeus and Hippolyta agreed that they needed a last ditch resource to stop Ares if he returned after Zeus died trying to kill Ares. Pretty disturbing origins for Diana.
    - the CGI was overdone, especially for a LOT of action scenes which could have easily been filmed using stunt doubles, wire-work and a little CGI for tidying up. There were scenes and fight moves which had no place being entirely CGI models and I don't know why they did so. I guess it's cheaper to create a computer animation than to actually film the scene, but it was quite damaging to the film. The CGI heavy final battle was also quite messy. I don't want to see a movie with numerous parts which suddenly feel like I'm watching a video game. To be fair, that's a pretty common complaint I have for a lot of movies. But, I guess it isn't as obvious when the character is Iron Man or the Hulk. But, a "human" moving in clearly inhuman ways seems to be more glaring.
    - I wish we'd seen more of Dr Poison. The actor did so much with what was a relatively small role and minimal dialogue. The "ending" was also bizarre. The editing seemed to be poor and it almost looked like Diana did drop the tank on Dr Poison, even though she obviously didn't. A small scene where Diana extends a hand to help Dr Poison to her feet after the battle would have been nice. Or even a small end credit scene with an older Dr Poison being sprung from prison / asylum by Paula Von Guther would have been cool.
    - Gal Gadot's acting was generally pretty good, except for her reaction in the gas scene. It was Drama Class 101 "dramatic" reaction and I wish they'd re-filmed it to push Gal to give a stronger reaction to all of the death (and undoing of all of her good work). I was expecting Diana to drop to her knees and even dry retch, but she just did the whole "hands to side of face" action. It was really the only weak point in Gal's work.
    - Steve Trevor had a decent arc, although his ending was incredibly similar to the first Captain America film. I wish they'd come up with something else.
    - a very minor quibble, but I think they really over-did it with Gal Gadot's hair and makeup. Diana looked perfect in pretty much every single scene, no matter the surroundings or the action. Gal Gadot is a beautiful woman and I wish they'd let her natural beauty shine a little more instead of applying so much makeup and ensuring that her hair was absolutely perfect in every single scene. Sure, she's a demi-goddess so that probably helps, but it still seemed a little off and almost "plastic" in some scenes. Chris Pine is a very handsome man and they showed that, but he still looked "human".
    - I think they could have jettisoned the three helpers in favour of more screen time for Steve and Diana. They didn't really contribute to the story or action scenes in any major way. Or maybe Steve and Diana could have joined up with a German double agent (Paula Von Guther) who is working with the allies, but is secretly a double agent who betrays them to Houston's character at the end to set up the climax.
    - the Amazons were pretty annoying. They have a sacred duty to stop Ares, but when presented with evidence that Ares has returned, they do nothing except allow the god killer to leave Themyscira. They don't tell her about her destiny, they don't give her any kind of support and they don't even give her a decent boat (even though they presumably captured the German battleship from the battle on the beach). It seemed pretty weak to me. I wish they'd come up with some reason to protect Themyscira. Sure, it may be because of the Mother Box, but that's not going to be revealed until Justice League and could have at least been hinted at (e.g. we must remain behind to protect a weapon which could cause untold damage, worse than the God of War, if it falls into the wrong hands).
    - my final quibble would probably be that Wonder Woman is almost over-powered by the end of the film. Diana can apparent generate force-fields, concussive blasts, re-direct energy weapons, move with super-speed and heal incredible quickly (if she's even capable of being injured). I'm very happy that she can fly. And some of those powers are pretty cool. But, it's hard to see how she'll have any trouble battling opponents in the "future" given that she's such a super powered demi-goddess. I'm inclined to believe that Ares' attacks were "feeding" her godly energy so some of those powers may have been temporary. Otherwise, Diana should have easily wiped the floor with Doomsday given everything that she can do.
    end of spoilers

I plan on seeing the film again soon and that may resolve some of the above quibbles, especially those with the villain reveal.

All in all, I think they did really well with the film, especially given the pressure that everyone would have been under. I hope that Patty Jenkins can return for a sequel and that she's allowed a little more freedom in crafting that film.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-30-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Foolish question I know, but how do I do spoiler tags? Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    First type [*SPOIL], then type the spoiler, then close it with [*/SPOIL] Just leave out the asterisks. I had to put them in so my message wasn't concealed.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Incredible Member

Thank you!

I'd edit my post, but for some reason the "Edit Post" functionality isn't working properly from my current computer (it's only giving me the opportunity to edit the first couple of paragraphs).