Page 21 of 120 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Retired

If you read the early Superman stories, there's a period where Superman is doing so much in his leaps that he might as well be flying. But I think it's even better because there's a physicality to what he does as he's pitching through mid-air that you don't get with strict flying. It's more like the logic-defying leaps in some Chinese martial arts movies.

I think that's what Diana is doing. She may have enough power to stay in the air for a long time--but at some point gravity is going to pull her back down. In point of fact, that's what flying really is. It's not anti-gravity--it's manipulating physical forces to stay in the air for as long as one can manage it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    - I was disappointed that they did not explore her unity with beasts ability or her ability to communicate with animals.
    Yeah, I was disappointed with that too. Although they did show her having some concern for a horse but they didn't stop to let her help.

Was also disappointed we didn't see any creatures of Greek mythology. Where were the minotaurs or pegasus and so forth (or even a kanga, which isn't from Greek mythology).

Also has she really not returned to themyscira since she first left it? Was hoping we'd see her visit it again.

Anyway apart from that I really liked the movie.

Clark & Diana Whata Team! Super-Wonder's Avatar

Flying was the the very last images of the film. She flies at you and then it cuts to credits.

Just saw it . . . It's Wonderful . . . . pun intended

I was fully against them doing a World War 1 period piece and after all of the blow up about what a great film this is I believed that Jenkins and cast had really defined that this was right approach to getting Wonder Woman off the ground. I was disappointed. This story could have been told in any era and it's my full belief is that it should have been told in the modern era and they wasted an opportunity to thread in the coming of the Justice League.

My biggest disappointment was Steve Trevor. Chris Pine did an amazing job and the chemistry with Diana was great. His experience and human perspective juxtaposed to her naivety and ability to do the impossible were well done. It's a shame that they killed him off and even if they didn't, it's now 100 years later, how would he have stood the test of time for a modern era story? I just don't understand the choices in the whole DCEU so far, not just Wonder Woman.

That's the end of my griping . . . Themyscira was Wonderful! Little Diana was Wonderful! Gal Gadot was Wonderful! Chris Pine was Wonderful! Etta was needless and we see all of her funny in the trailers so there were no great surprises there, but she was Wonderful, even if she was just there. <<<< I dunno is that a gripe? Sounds like it.

Despite my griping I did enjoy the movie and it was a lot of fun to see her in action. I was surprised by her origin reveal so that was interesting but over all it was a good time. I'll see it again before it leaves the theaters.
    Wonderfully Superb

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDiana View Post
    Hippolyta is a lying, manipulative adulteress? Diana is Zeus's bastard?
    1. Parents who lie to protect their children aren't monsters, and the story of Storks baby delivery isn't a criminal offense.

2. Divorce is a thing that exists and we don't know if Zeus and Hera's marriage is still recognized. Hera may have been killed by Ares, leaving Zeus a widower. There is TOO MUCH we do not know to claim adultery.

3. Is Jesus Christ a bastard? Diana may have been immaculately conceived.

Please stop getting in your own way.

Clark & Diana Whata Team! Super-Wonder's Avatar

I'm so upset.

I wish I had never watched that movie.
    Wow man I'm heartbroken for you. At least you were able to find some scenes to be in tune with the character.

But now that all of this origin stuff is established perhaps future films can just concentrate on the adventure and her point as an inspiration.
    Wonderfully Superb

BANNED

Not that anyone cares, but here's my two cents.

I loved the scene with the trench. That definitely felt like Wonder Woman.
    I liked that they explained how she could speak English and other languages.
    I'm glad she had sex with Steve. She didn't abide by man's societal constructs.
    I liked how she inspired others.

However, the fact that this was a nu52 Wonder Woman movie just ruins it for me honestly. That was only 5 out of her 75 years and has already been retconned away. The only WW movie series I get in my lifetime and that it had to be that garbage sickens me.

Hippolyta is a lying, manipulative adulteress? Diana is Zeus's bastard? Amazons who kill on sight? So much for spreading peace and the perfect society. Killing without questioning? (The lasso would have revealed the German wasn't Ares.)

Like I said, I'm sure everyone disagrees and loves the movie, but my heart is broken. Why did they even have to discuss her parentage at all? Oh yeah because she's nothing without a man. She is just a plain old Amazon without her powerful daddy. She doesn't want to leave the island without her man showing up. She doesn't find the strength to defeat the bad guy without the sacrifice of a man to give her strength.

I'm so upset.

None if those things take a bit away from Diana. Steve's sacrifice was more representative of the good in mankind as a whole than as a male originated motivation. We wouldn't be complaining if the roles were reversed. Besides, the movie made it clear that Diana did everything on her own volition. She didn't let anyone impede her will.

When man or mankind went the wrong way she bucked against it and went the right way. All the superheroes of the DCEU should be looking toward her as the shining example of a superhero, especially Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you read the early Superman stories, there's a period where Superman is doing so much in his leaps that he might as well be flying. But I think it's even better because there's a physicality to what he does as he's pitching through mid-air that you don't get with strict flying. It's more like the logic-defying leaps in some Chinese martial arts movies.

I think that's what Diana is doing. She may have enough power to stay in the air for a long time--but at some point gravity is going to pull her back down. In point of fact, that's what flying really is. It's not anti-gravity--it's manipulating physical forces to stay in the air for as long as one can manage it.
    She flies at the end. She just didn't know that she could early on.

Retired

I think you can see whatever you want in Diana's creation. The movie doesn't spell everything out, so if you want to think she was created from clay and then given life by Zeus, you're free to think that way. Maybe that's just how Zeus makes babies. It's in keeping with a lot of myths where people are made from clay or dragon's teeth sown in the ground and given life by the grace of the gods. I think the important point is that Zeus had his own reasons for Diana coming into existence. He manipulated Hippolyte's desire for a child (she wanted a child so much that she made a clay statue to represent her dream) to get his own way--to create a secret weapon against Ares.

It's interesting that Diana really stays true to herself through most of the movie. When she defies British convention, she's just doing what she always did since a little girl, following her own instincts even if those in authority tell her otherwise. It wouldn't really matter if that authority was a queen or a lord--Diana would always go her own way. That gives Gadot's character a certain childish innocence but also playfulness. She loses some of her innocence, maybe, but she is so convinced of her own truth that even gods can't tell her wnat is right. And in the end, her truth is the better option.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Hmmm. No, watch it again...

Yeah...watch it again. There were about 17 things that I missed...it's better the second time.
    About the flying part, if I am wrong and she does have the power of flight and can fly as well as Superman or even Cyborg in the Justice League movie, then I will eat my words and give you the credit you deserve. But the lack of trailers for Justice League showing this ability and the fact that I really don't see the flight like you did says to me otherwise.'

I think she just took a really big super leap at the end of the movie and it seemed to me she was arcing slightly down before the credits rolled. Maybe you can ask Patty Jenkins on twitter or facebook if she was implying she had flight ala Superman, or if it was just a superjump. My guess is she will be ambiguous in answer because she truly doesn't know how Zach is going to use Diana powerwise in the movie. If she says Diana can fly like Superman, and she doesn't in Justice League, it makes her look like she is lying or that they gave her a power that Zach didn't want her to have. Or something to that effect.

Again, I will have to wait till November for Justice League.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Diana calls women she just met "Sister" all the time. That's not so conclusive. It's not a stretch to say she would say "Brother" to a man.

And as I've said before, when you're talking about gods, family designations do NOT mean the same thing as they do to us. Zeus bringing Diana to life would qualify her as his "child" in just about every religion on the planet. And if she's Zeus' "child," then it's also not a stretch to say she would accept a quasi-familial connection to another child of Zeus.
    Yeeeeeaaaaah - except that would not make her any different really from the first mortals that Zeus created as mentioned in the story - and they are certainly not family to the gods.

I'm a big defender of the clay statue story, but even I cannot reconcile the intent of the movie as anything other than "She's the daughter of Zeus." It's possible her birth could be somewhat akin to Aphrodite's [who had not father OR mother] but I don't see Heinberg and Jenkins going for anything that subtle in this script.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

All-New Member

I saw it yesterday.
    It was fine, all the right elements were there, but somehow it felt unbalanced at some points.
    Some characters were underused, especially Etta (who was amazing!!), but also Dr. Poison and even Ludendorff himself.
    I was also left wanting more Themyscira.
    But then, the movie was long enough, and pretty intensive. It would have been an extra additional hour.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    She flies at the end. She just didn't know that she could early on.
    Or that she could fly in BvS. Doesn't make logical sense to me, especially since you can make an argument that it looked like a superleap.

Extraordinary Member

Not that anyone cares, but here's my two cents.

I loved the scene with the trench. That definitely felt like Wonder Woman.
    I liked that they explained how she could speak English and other languages.
    I'm glad she had sex with Steve. She didn't abide by man's societal constructs.
    I liked how she inspired others.

However, the fact that this was a nu52 Wonder Woman movie just ruins it for me honestly. That was only 5 out of her 75 years and has already been retconned away. The only WW movie series I get in my lifetime and that it had to be that garbage sickens me.

Hippolyta is a lying, manipulative adulteress? Diana is Zeus's bastard? Amazons who kill on sight? So much for spreading peace and the perfect society. Killing without questioning? (The lasso would have revealed the German wasn't Ares.)

Like I said, I'm sure everyone disagrees and loves the movie, but my heart is broken. Why did they even have to discuss her parentage at all? Oh yeah because she's nothing without a man. She is just a plain old Amazon without her powerful daddy. She doesn't want to leave the island without her man showing up. She doesn't find the strength to defeat the bad guy without the sacrifice of a man to give her strength.

I'm so upset.

I'm genuinely sorry you feel that way, because I certainly know how it feels to be devastated by WW stories. I will speak about the things you mentioned, but only to present my POV on them and not to suggest you have to agree with me.

Hippolyta is not an adulteress here, because its clearly stated that Ares killed all the other gods. That means Hera is dead, and you can't cheat on a dead wife.

Watching VERY carefully the second time I saw it, in that scene on the beach the Germans shoot first.

Killing Ludendorf was a mistake, but it was completely understandable. Everything he said at the dance plus the strength he revealed in the fight suggested he was Ares. I was pretty sure it was a bait and switch by the time the sword went through him so easily, but that's me sitting in the cinema watching it. Considering Diana was traumatized by the deaths of hundreds of innocent people she thought she had saved, AND the guy was a mass murderer in his own right, I am going to give that a pass.

Now as to her power - I think the movie was crafted very carefully to show that while she has latent potential from Zeus, it is ONLY realized by her [Amazon] training with Antiope [whose name I can now pronounce - yay]. Since Zeus is dead and presumably will feature no more in her ongoing story, and Ares is in no way responsible for training her as he was in the New 52, I think this found the fight balance.

Steve's sacrifice - yeah, I knew this would be controversial. I think that was a necessary point in the movie [plot wise] because after everything that she had seen and the whole build up of her uninformed view of mankind [as hinted at in the first few minutes] there needed to be an example of humans rising above their petty nature. All Steve's last words did were remind Diana of who she wanted to be, not redefine her into something completely new. It was, as I have said, the "I am a Jedi" moment of the movie.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-02-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

All-New Member

Some things about Gal:
    She was mostly fine, and managed to be funny or heartbroken quite credibly.
    But living in Israel, I felt a little embarrassed by her accent. Almost everyone speaks English here, but often with weak pronunciation, and I felt that in Gal's. I was not "exotic", just bad Israeli pronunciation. :-)
    Anyway, there's something to be said: She gets the character exceptionally. I heard her in many interviews -including in Hebrew- and she totally gets it. Especially the dual side of Diana, the whole love/violence dualness that some people find hard to understand.
    She truly loves and admires Diana. That helped her to deliver inspiration through her acting. It truly felt like WW, and that's an huge accomplishment.
    It makes me happy, I remember the huge backlash when she was announced as the actress...

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Interestingly like Catwoman in TDK Diana wasn't referred to as Wonder Woman, I honestly didn't notice at all until a review pointed it out, it doesn't takeaway or would add to the film but would have been nice to have throwaway line like in MoS when they referred to Superman.

Also glad they kept the accents for the Amazons. Although child Diana actress had a bit of problem with hers was kind of all over the place.

The Amazon beach action scene and the No Mans Land one definitely stand better than the last act, would have preferred if Diana and Ares did more hand to hand combat more Batman vs Superman less Trinity vs Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    They mentioned that she was Zeus' child. The clay origin turned out to be just a story to keep her from understanding that she was a goddess.
    Yeah and there is no way to interrupt that as vague as all through the first act they kept teasing to us that Hippolyta wasn't telling the truth to Diana.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.