Page 41 of 120 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

She had that Michael Jordan on Space Jam hang time lol
    Superhero shows are trash

Retired

Has anyone tried to calculate how many times the W appears on Diana's costume? Yet no one in the movie asks her what's with all those W symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    When does she fly? everyone keeps saying it as if its definitive and the only part i can think that even came close to flying was the end but even that looked more like a powerful jump than actual flight
    It looked like a powerful jump to me, both in the "Goodbye brother" scene and in the final scene it looks like a jump too. She even recreated, without the shield, the same pose she did before she flattened that church, at least it looked like it to me.

Extraordinary Member

Some thoughts I've been having. Maybe some folks who have seen it more than me [my third viewing coming this arvo] can help.

The Themysciran language thing seems to work like the Doctor's telepathic translation via the TARDIS. First, I think the first time she talk to Steve it is in English, but he hasn't actually said anything yet. Her first words are "You're a man," and he understands her perfectly in English [Even though, mind you, he is dressed as a German so even if she had knowledge of the outside world, she would be speaking Deutsche.]

Later in the movie she understands Chief when he is speaking in his own native tongue. But unless I am mistaken, that language would never have been written down. So even if the Amazons did somehow know of the America's and its many native tribes, how could they possibly learn their languages?

And, on a somewhat humorous note, Diana can speak German [she must be speaking German at the party] without actually having a German accent, but Ludendorff does not actually pick up on this.

What this leads me to conclude is that when Diana says the Amazons are the bridge to a greater understanding, she is referring to some kind of quasi-mystical ability for them to speak and understand all human languages, including ones invented hundreds or thousands of years after then Amazons adopted their current isolationism.

Interestingly, Diana also speaks of Socrates, the Greek philosopher who lived from around 470 - 399 BC. That might indicate that the Amazons were supposed to still be 'in the world' at that time, or that they kept ties enough to know what was going on in their particular part of the world.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Some thoughts I've been having. Maybe some folks who have seen it more than me [my third viewing coming this arvo] can help.

The Themysciran language thing seems to work like the Doctor's telepathic translation via the TARDIS. First, I think the first time she talk to Steve it is in English, but he hasn't actually said anything yet. Her first words are "You're a man," and he understands her perfectly in English [Even though, mind you, he is dressed as a German so even if she had knowledge of the outside world, she would be speaking Deutsche.]

Later in the movie she understands Chief when he is speaking in his own native tongue. But unless I am mistaken, that language would never have been written down. So even if the Amazons did somehow know of the America's and its many native tribes, how could they possibly learn their languages?

And, on a somewhat humorous note, Diana can speak German [she must be speaking German at the party] without actually having a German accent, but Ludendorff does not actually pick up on this.

What this leads me to conclude is that when Diana says the Amazons are the bridge to a greater understanding, she is referring to some kind of quasi-mystical ability for them to speak and understand all human languages, including ones invented hundreds or thousands of years after then Amazons adopted their current isolationism.

Interestingly, Diana also speaks of Socrates, the Greek philosopher who lived from around 470 - 399 BC. That might indicate that the Amazons were supposed to still be 'in the world' at that time, or that they kept ties enough to know what was going on in their particular part of the world.
    Yeah, there are a few things like that.

Perhaps they sent Amazon spies every now and then - to learn more about the world and human condition. Maybe they haven't done it in a few years - which resulted in their lack of knowledge about the war.

Also, does time move slowly in PI?

(Maybe not, since Steve didn't notice anything odd when he got back).

If that's the case, did Diana grew up at the rate of a human? It is certainly possible that the growth occurred over thousands of years (and we didn't notice it; it's vague enough that they can run with it).

And killing the Gods, that pretty much affects other characters like Shazam. Here's hoping they have planned it out, at least an initial outline for future movies and how they are going to approach this.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Has anyone tried to calculate how many times the W appears on Diana's costume? Yet no one in the movie asks her what's with all those W symbols.
    It obviously stands for Wumbo. The study of Wombology.

Anyone else laugh at the scene where Diana doesn't have her sword, they cut away to Steve or something and then after Diana jumps back down with her sword as if nothing happened? Doesn't even look like Ares moved or anything. Many people in my theater were laughing at this or going "wtf".

I also don't know why people are saying WW "saved the DCEU". It didn't. It just proved DC/WBs can make a decent movie without Batman or Superman.

Anyways, I'm betting 600-700 million on this. This will likely not make BvS or SS numbers but closer to MoS. As expected as it's an origin movie.

I also find it odd the movie is called Wonder Woman yet no one, not even Diana herself calls herself that unless I missed it. I love that little girl in the animated movie who says "Look it's Wonder Woman!".

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    Anyone else laugh at the scene where Diana doesn't have her sword, they cut away to Steve or something and then after Diana jumps back down with her sword as if nothing happened? Doesn't even look like Ares moved or anything. Many people in my theater were laughing at this or going "wtf".

I also don't know why people are saying WW "saved the DCEU". It didn't. It just proved DC/WBs can make a decent movie without Batman or Superman.

Anyways, I'm betting 600-700 million on this. This will likely not make BvS or SS numbers but closer to MoS. As expected as it's an origin movie.
    Hey, Troian! I laughed at the same thing but did sort of a double take with the Godkiller sword bit. It was just an odd cut, like we know that she went to get her sword, but Ares must've been like, "So, yeah, it'd be cool if you can join me in -HEY WHERE ARE YOU GOING, OK, I'll wait..."

I think it "saved DCEU" because it was so well received by critics and fans. The other movies were very divisive. I thought it was definitely better than anything else they have put out, but not saying much.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

It did seem slightly goofy, but I assumed she jumped up real quick, grabbed her sword, and Ares waited. He knew he could destroy the sword, so he wasn't worried. It really wasn't *that* big of a deal or bad of scene. Just slightly off.

I also find it odd the movie is called Wonder Woman yet no one, not even Diana herself calls herself that unless I missed it. I love that little girl in the animated movie who says "Look it's Wonder Woman!".
    This is probably the one thing that is bugging me right now. She hasn't been called Wonder Woman in her own origin, nor was she called it in BvS. Unless I really missed the part.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Ummmm.......Diana NEVER calls herself Wonder Woman? That's always a name that the press gives her. She has that in common with Superman. How arrogant do you have to be to introduce yourself to the world as "Wonder Woman" or "Superman?"

She uses the name later on, once it becomes clear to her that that's just how the world knows her. But it's never something she just chooses for herself.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I think Diana should have gotten a clue the sword was not all her Mother said it was
    when Etta Candy was able to carry it along with her shield.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, I know which issue you're talking about. I'm saying I don't look at his reaction as one of disappointment. I remember him being taken aback at Diana's point and the reader is left to think that he's "oh, yeah, good point."
    After she refuses to kill a downed minotaur in cold blood he get's mighty angry with her. She reminds him that on one of their training sessions he -Ares- had also showed mercy. It's then said that: ...War bellows --not with the rage of the minotaur, but haunted. Like a wounded animal!

He then pushes her away, tells her: "Thou art my greatest failure, Diana of Themyscira!" and disappears.

Why I say she disappointed him: She refused to kill like that. A bit like with Dr Poison.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

They spoke english on Krypton, perhaps they do on Themyscira as well.

Maybe she not a savant on when it comes to the Prussian kingdom, or just figures that a german may know a word or two of fremdsprache. My grandfather (a German, born in 1930) is for example fleunt in german, swedish, esperanto as well as some english and russian. Probably a bit of french, belgian and dutch as well.
    Last edited by borntohula; 06-06-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post

They spoke english on Krypton, perhaps they do on Themyscira as well.

Maybe she not a savant on when it comes to the Prussian kingdom, or just figures that a german may know a word or two of fremdsprache. My grandfather (a German, born in 1930) is for example fleunt in german, swedish, esperanto as well as some english and russian. Probably a bit of french, belgian and dutch as well.
    Well, no. On Krypton they speak Kryptonian, but it would be painful to have subtitles to read for that whole time.

Diana clearly does speak German, because there is no reason that everyone at the German High Command Gala would be speaking English. Even though its no subtitled, we can assume its German.

Steve does say one word before Diana starts talking to him - "Wow." But for her to be able to infer that he is talking English from that single exclamation seems a stretch. Also, Steve hears Antiope call "Shield!" to Menalippe on the beach. Why would Antiope be calling in English? Yet Steve seems to understand her, because he uses the word shield in the Veld battle to communicate his plan to Diana.

To me it seems like there is something mystical going on. It could of course just be movie-convenience, the same way almost every alien world on Stargate SG1 use English. But it could also be that the Amazons, as part of their nature, have the ability to be understood by whomever they are speaking to.

I would love to see Diana signing in a future movie
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Meanwhile, you know you've made it to the big leagues when...

http://www.leagueofbuddies.com/6336/...obot-chickend/

LOL