Page 48 of 120 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

There's also the possibility that "only a god can kill another god" simply means that you have to have SOME god-genes (for lack of a better term) in you. So for example, the other Amazons, as awesome as they are, couldn't kill Ares. But Diana, being half-god, can.

Retired

There were an awful lot of folks running around the Peloponnessian world who claimed to have some god or goddess as a parent and yet they weren't gods. Even Herakles wasn't supposed to be a god, but he attracted so much worship from fans that later on they split the difference and had one half of him go the underworld with the rest of us sad folk and the other half of him go up to Mt. Olympus to join the regular gods.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Definitely makes sense that way.

Although Greek Mythology does have stories of demigods who can ascend to godhood. Heracles did it. Dionysus did it.

So you could argue that Zeus and Hippolyta had Diana "the traditional way" in the hopes that Diana would, when the time was right, ascend to godhood and become the Godkiller.

But yeah, I'm inclined to say that Diana's birth would have to be in some way more significant than just being one more demigod birth.

Well, here is a thought just came to me.

Only a god can kill a god, but Diana does not kill Ares with her power. She actually uses and redirects his own.

So you could argue that Ares killed himself. He gave her the power he needed to ensure his destruction.

In which case, Diana doesn't need to be a god at all.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-07-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I think you know what I mean about top alpha dog in terms of powerset.
    No, I actually don't. You seem to believe "top dog" means "lots of superpowers." DC seems to disagree. They seem to believe that "Being Batman" is the greatest superpower of all and completely negates any and all other superpowers, regardless of quality or quantity.

If we play by the comics and go the bat-god route, then Diana can get kicked in the stomach by Batman and get knocked out. Or, Cheetah can get one-punched by Batman and get knocked out cold.
    Even without going the Batgod route, they still allowed Batman to beat Superman. They can do it again quite easily.

And, no, I don't agree with your opinion on flight or no flight with respect to Diana. This is her first solo movie ever, and to not know or show her true powerset is just plain disappointing.
    Superman hasn't shown his true powerset in two movies. Batman didn't show all his toys and tricks yet. Diana is no different. Since it's already been stated that she's going to develop more and more powers throughout the movies, she's in the exact same boat as all the other heroes in the DCEU.

Diana proved she can beat enemies as powerful or even more powerful as Superman without needing flight. She has not been portrayed as in any way "lesser" than Superman yet. The day we have a movie where Diana goes up against an enemy who smacks her around like she's nothing, but then Superman effortlessly defeats him/her/it with his flight, then Diana not having flight right away does not make her inferior.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

A Quick review:

I really enjoyed the ride, it was refreshing, like a dream come true!

My pros:
    - Themyscira is Wonderful
    - The Amazons are badasses
    - Gal's Presence
    - The diversity
    - The cinematography
    - The fight choregraphies
    - Wonder Woman IS a powerhouse, though I had the feeling that we just saw a portion of what she is able to do. I like the progression of her powers. She is super strong, super fast, durable, heals fast, can speak hundreds of languages. She swims fast too. I suspect she will be able to fly and that she only gets to hover by the end the Ares fight. She also seems to be able to create an invisible force field. I wished she would have used more of the power wave thing, she only used it once, although it seemed to me that the gauntlets only allow her to aim it because after she plows through the soldiers, the energy seem to emanate from her whole body, pushing away everyone.
    - The 2hours+ felt like 10 minutes, it went so fast to me! I mean, it's a good sign, I never felt bored, I liked the quiet moments.

My cons:

- Lots of movie mistakes. Like the BVS picture for instance, the front strap is not on the same side in the WW movie. How could they have overlooked that? Or at the No Man's Land sequence, how the hell did the shiled end up on her back under the cloak when she had civilian clothes underneath it and that prior to that the shield was nowhere to be seen? Or after the gala scene, she didn't have her upper armor under the blue dress, but she had it when she went to Veld on horseback.
    - Underdeveloped characters, I wish I had seen more of the Amazons, the specifities of their culture, more of Etta too, an explanation as to the blue gaz, and maybe some backstory for Doctor Poison.
    - The Ares fight was too short and didn't seem to me that it was on Doomsday or Zod level in terms of threat. I mean, he's a god right?
    - The dead gods, I don't like it at all. Even though I suspect that they might come back in some way or the other.
    - Why did Zeus have to create a weapon to kill a god? Couldn't he do it himself? Were the other gods so weak to let themselves be defeated by Ares? What is so special about the creation of Diana that only she could bring an end to Ares' life?

Those negative criticism didn't take away anything from my appreciation of the movie though, I give it a 8/10. I'm gonna see it again tomorrow. And agian with some friends.

Also, at one point, Hippolyta says something like "Let's thank the gods for their gifts" in a pagan praying posture. Why would she pray to the gods if they are all dead? And how can the island's magic be sustained if their creators are all gone?

EDIT: My favorite sequence is when she destroys the upper part of the Church. It looks like she brought down the Judeo-Christian patriarchy and emerges from the debris as the new goddess of the world!
    Last edited by enish; 06-07-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    If Hippolyta herself were human, that would be right. But Zeus sometimes had affairs with being who were not gods but not human either, and the result was gods.

Heracles was a demigod, but with godlike status.
    I think she is a demi-god but with the full powers of a god. Patty mentionned that she is not bulletproof and that she could eventually be killed like that. In that way, she can't be a full goddess. That gives her some weakness, a possibility of being taken down, but she's so talented that it will be hard to do so, especially if she activates her full god powers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    No, I actually don't. You seem to believe "top dog" means "lots of superpowers." DC seems to disagree. They seem to believe that "Being Batman" is the greatest superpower of all and completely negates any and all other superpowers, regardless of quality or quantity.

Even without going the Batgod route, they still allowed Batman to beat Superman. They can do it again quite easily.

Superman hasn't shown his true powerset in two movies. Batman didn't show all his toys and tricks yet. Diana is no different. Since it's already been stated that she's going to develop more and more powers throughout the movies, she's in the exact same boat as all the other heroes in the DCEU.

Diana proved she can beat enemies as powerful or even more powerful as Superman without needing flight. She has not been portrayed as in any way "lesser" than Superman yet. The day we have a movie where Diana goes up against an enemy who smacks her around like she's nothing, but then Superman effortlessly defeats him/her/it with his flight, then Diana not having flight right away does not make her inferior.
    I think taking a nuke to the face and then being up to speed again in minutes is pretty damn powerful

What I suspect is JL will be about eventually confronting a brainwashed Superman aka Bruce's vision. He will likely crush the entire League except for Flash, who only escapes by running back in time looking for Lois as a way to break Darseids control.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    I think she is a demi-god but with the full powers of a god. Patty mentionned that she is not bulletproof and that she could eventually be killed like that. In that way, she can't be a full goddess. That gives her some weakness, a possibility of being taken down, but she's so talented that it will be hard to do so, especially if she activates her full god powers.
    Honestly, that idea has always been stupid to me in the comics, and I'm not keen on it carrying on over into the films.

Well, here is a thought just came to me.

Only a god can kill a god, but Diana does not kill Ares with her power. She actually uses and redirects his own.

So you could argue that Ares killed himself. He gave her the power he needed to ensure his destruction.

In which case, Diana doesn't need to be a god at all.
    That. Is..........Possible!

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

So if Wonder Woman defeated the god of war with love, could it be that she's the goddess of love?

Hey, just askin'!

I think taking a nuke to the face and then being up to speed again in minutes is pretty damn powerful
    Powerful, yes. But he hasn't shown all his powers, which is BitetheBullet's complaint: that somehow not showcasing every single one of Diana's powers in a single movie is somehow a sign of disrespect to her, when in fact it's just par-for-the-course in the DCEU.

And Superman came back from that nuking, only to continue to ineffectually attack Doomsday, whereas Diana showed up and actually did some damage to him.

What I suspect is JL will be about eventually confronting a brainwashed Superman aka Bruce's vision. He will likely crush the entire League except for Flash, who only escapes by running back in time looking for Lois as a way to break Darseids control.
    Highly unlikely. "Evil Superman" would completely negate his sacrifice in BvS, unless the entire incident takes place completely removed from the people of the world. If the people see Superman come back to life and go on a rampage, they will NEVER trust him again, mind control excuse or no mind control excuse.

That is not conducive to the plan to move the DCEU in a more positive direction. "The world will forever fear and distrust Superman" is not a positive direction.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

It is interesting. When I think about it, WW seems to have a lot more holes/mistakes than BvS or MOS. But, because of the tonal difference, people seem to overlook it (not that it was a big revelation...Disney pretty much followed the same formulae for Marvel movies, which is unfortunate, since there's a lot of potential there, especially with Marvel heroes traditionally being the flawed individuals, rather than outright heroes).

I do hope at least some of the things are brought up and resolved in future movies, like Gods being dead and all.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    A Quick review:

I really enjoyed the ride, it was refreshing, like a dream come true!

My pros:
    - Themyscira is Wonderful
    - The Amazons are badasses
    - Gal's Presence
    - The diversity
    - The cinematography
    - The fight choregraphies
    - Wonder Woman IS a powerhouse, though I had the feeling that we just saw a portion of what she is able to do. I like the progression of her powers. She is super strong, super fast, durable, heals fast, can speak hundreds of languages. She swims fast too. I suspect she will be able to fly and that she only gets to hover by the end the Ares fight. She also seems to be able to create an invisible force field. I wished she would have used more of the power wave thing, she only used it once, although it seemed to me that the gauntlets only allow her to aim it because after she plows through the soldiers, the energy seem to emanate from her whole body, pushing away everyone.
    - The 2hours+ felt like 10 minutes, it went so fast to me! I mean, it's a good sign, I never felt bored, I liked the quiet moments.

My cons:

- Lots of movie mistakes. Like the BVS picture for instance, the front strap is not on the same side in the WW movie. How could they have overlooked that? Or at the No Man's Land sequence, how the hell did the shiled end up on her back under the cloak when she had civilian clothes underneath it and that prior to that the shield was nowhere to be seen? Or after the gala scene, she didn't have her upper armor under the blue dress, but she had it when she went to Veld on horseback.
    - Underdeveloped characters, I wish I had seen more of the Amazons, the specifities of their culture, more of Etta too, an explanation as to the blue gaz, and maybe some backstory for Doctor Poison.
    - The Ares fight was too short and didn't seem to me that it was on Doomsday or Zod level in terms of threat. I mean, he's a god right?
    - The dead gods, I don't like it at all. Even though I suspect that they might come back in some way or the other.
    - Why did Zeus have to create a weapon to kill a god? Couldn't he do it himself? Were the other gods so weak to let themselves be defeated by Ares? What is so special about the creation of Diana that only she could bring an end to Ares' life?

Those negative criticism didn't take away anything from my appreciation of the movie though, I give it a 8/10. I'm gonna see it again tomorrow. And agian with some friends.

Also, at one point, Hippolyta says something like "Let's thank the gods for their gifts" in a pagan praying posture. Why would she pray to the gods if they are all dead? And how can the island's magic be sustained if their creators are all gone?

EDIT: My favorite sequence is when she destroys the upper part of the Church. It looks like she brought down the Judeo-Christian patriarchy and emerges from the debris as the new goddess of the world!
    Strap- yes, but due to the costume change. I'm guessing when they redid the costume it was more comfortable/natural for Gal that way. I believe we are not supposed to notice this. But we, of course did.
    As for the gala, Gal had the wonder woman armor on under the blue dress. There is one point where you can see it on the side with her arm is up dancing. Just a peek of gold. As for the rest of the armor, she put it on when she got on the horse I imagine.
    The shield in the trenches, that was under her cape the whole time they were walking around. I don't think she really had it on, but that is what we are intended to recognize.
    Zeus used his dying breath to create Diana and create the island to protect the Amazons so that they could train her to kill him if he were to return it to destroy mankind. He died, so no, he couldn't do it himself.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

TUESDAY beats THURSDAY PREVIEWS!!

http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-tues...R-TW&view=list
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Retired

Since they had hoped to give Lynda Carter a cameo, I wonder where in the movie they were going to squeeze her in. The only place I can think is the blonde guest at Ludendorff's party, the one Diana gets the blue gown from.