Page 54 of 120 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Sure she has. She doesn't fly, ergo she has lost one of her powers, therefore depowered.

I don't even know what to say about this 'kinetic absorption technique', because if this is going to be a consistent ability of hers, why bother with a shield or bracelets? I think their is going to be the potential for a lot of deux ex machina in play with her if they get her in situations that she needs to get out of. Basically, saying, 'hey, I'm a goddess, let's use one of my hazily defined powers or a power I didn't know I had to get out of this mess'.

Also, you didn't answer one of my questions. Do you even want her to fly? And if so, why not?
    If we are talking about her ability to destroy Ares' metal missiles before they reach her, just before she zaps him, I think that was more a case of negating his power than exerting her own.

Also, if we are supposed to believe that Diana is a god, and only a god can kill a god, then she is virtually indestructible. Short of one of the New Gods turning up nothing can kill her. Which is what makes he think she is not a full god, and only defeats Ares by reflecting his own gold power back at him.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    If we are talking about her ability to destroy Ares' metal missiles before they reach her, just before she zaps him, I think that was more a case of negating his power than exerting her own.

Also, if we are supposed to believe that Diana is a god, and only a god can kill a god, then she is virtually indestructible. Short of one of the New Gods turning up nothing can kill her. Which is what makes he think she is not a full god, and only defeats Ares by reflecting his own gold power back at him.
    How is negating his missiles any different than negating bullets? Why then the need for a shield or bracers against attacks like that anymore? If this was indeed a power of hers that manifested late into the fight with Ares, there is no need for her to play the bullets and bracelets gig.

Some questions came up when I was talking to my friend about the movie:

What was the purpose of the God Killer sword? Hippolyta and her friends/constable seemed to have known that WW was the true God Killer since the beginning. So why keep that sword high up on a tower and guard it? Is it to just keep up the charade or something? I guess not all the Amazonians knew it was fake?
    Superhero shows are trash

Ultimate Member

That was my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Some questions came up when I was talking to my friend about the movie:

What was the purpose of the God Killer sword? Hippolyta and her friends/constable seemed to have known that WW was the true God Killer since the beginning. So why keep that sword high up on a tower and guard it? Is it to just keep up the charade or something? I guess not all the Amazonians knew it was fake?
    I took it that it was a sword of great import, but not a god killer - Diana is the one who calls it that, not Hippolyta. The Queen introduced it as a tower where they keep their most treasured objects and such; it's Diana who assumes that that's the 'god killer' weapon (if I remember it correctly)

So it probably was an important artifact of some kind, just not something designed to kill a god.

Heck, I'd want to keep a sword that cool-looking under lock and key, too.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Retired

It was a sword specially made for the god-killer, i.e. Diana. I see it as being like Excalibur.

Hippolyta knows that her daughter is the god-killer and one day Diana will leave on that mission, but the queen wants to delay that day as much as she can. There are many tests for Diana to prove that she is ready to go on her mission. And one of those tests is if she can climb the tower and get into it to find the sword and all the other devices that are in fact always meant for her to have. That Diana can do this shows that she has passed that test, her final test, and she is now ready to leave. That's why in the end Hippolyta lets her go, because Diana has proved that it is time.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Mark Hughes with some great analysis.
    He suggests this movie could get to right around $700 million (for comparison, none of the MCU's solo origin films have topped Ironman's $585 million until the 13th -or 14th- film Doctor Strange, and that made $677 million).
    But, that's optimistic. It appears most estimates are still putting this movie everywhere in the $600 millions.

He also talks about the DCEU's box office returns as a whole. Worth your time: https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#25ab52f816fb

I would've added 10-15 more seconds to the bedtime story sequence, allowing Hippolyte to introduce Ares with a different actor, and impress upon her daughter the message of the Amazons: endless war ends --with death. It sets up the dichotomy between the martial training of Antiope with Hippolyta's grand-scheme philosophy.

Then I'd change the name of the "Godkiller" to "Warslayer". The sword's name specifies it as a tool to kill Ares, but doesn't suggest death to other divinities. It becomes even MORE of a plot pivot when the sword proven useless against Ares, and thrusts Diana into panic, terror, and heightened devastation of the final climax.

When Ares reveals himself in the form of Thewliss/Sir Patrick, I'd have him peel his skin off to reveal the original Ares actor underneath, preferably an unknown Mediterranean. The entire final fight needed a rewritten script and a reorganization of scenes. Ares SHOULD not have called himself the God of Truth or suggested that Diana and he could "repopulate the Earth" after they kill-all-humans. He SHOULD have told her he's been on Earth for years, sowing fear and hatred and anguish everywhere, and inside everyone, ensuring endless war and his ultimate victory. Diana SHOULD have felt overwhelmed, and attempting more and more conventional attacks trying to destroy him. Meanwhile, she should ALSO be trying to deflect Ares from harming the Germans and the Oddfellows, and watch as Poison shoots them.

Ares SHOULD encourage Diana to destroy Poison --because Poison deserves death, but should be interrupted by Steve's sacrifice. While I really liked the freedom-bursting scene, I think it's more important for Diana's philosophical pivot to recognize that mankind can overcome Ares' fear and hatred and anguish, and has the potential to sacrifice themselves for peace and life and the future.

I think this is what a lot of reviewers and people are missing: Steve was a human sacrifice to a god. By the point he detonates over the airfield, Diana is entirely supersaiyan, everything's on fire, ruins, ultimate war. Diana is achieving her full potential, but it's feeding Ares. When Steve kills himself, he's sacrificing his future TO DIANA. It's love and joy and sorrow and gives her pause enough to recognize that her destructive actions are hastening endless war's ultimate end, global death.

At which point the battle changes --and instead of conventional battle, Diana snares Ares with the lasso. This time, she's in control, and she shares the Amazon message of the futility of endless war, and why she is the Warslayer. While only a god could bind him, only an Amazon would have the conviction of the words. Ares sees the futility and accepts defeat, mirroring Perez' original battle.

Extraordinary Member

How is negating his missiles any different than negating bullets? Why then the need for a shield or bracers against attacks like that anymore? If this was indeed a power of hers that manifested late into the fight with Ares, there is no need for her to play the bullets and bracelets gig.
    The difference is the missiles of Ares are being formed and propelled by his god power. So it's posdible she is just negating his influence, causing them to fall apart and drop to the ground. Bullets are propelled by physics.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Having defeated Ares, Diana moves on to her next big mythological challenge

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-m...ce-prediction/

Sure she has. She doesn't fly, ergo she has lost one of her powers, therefore depowered.

I don't even know what to say about this 'kinetic absorption technique', because if this is going to be a consistent ability of hers, why bother with a shield or bracelets? I think their is going to be the potential for a lot of deux ex machina in play with her if they get her in situations that she needs to get out of. Basically, saying, 'hey, I'm a goddess, let's use one of my hazily defined powers or a power I didn't know I had to get out of this mess'.

Also, you didn't answer one of my questions. Do you even want her to fly? And if so, why not?
    Patty said at that point she was exuding pure love, and it was extremely powerful. Not something we'll be seeing again, I think.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I would've added 10-15 more seconds to the bedtime story sequence, allowing Hippolyte to introduce Ares with a different actor, and impress upon her daughter the message of the Amazons: endless war ends --with death. It sets up the dichotomy between the martial training of Antiope with Hippolyta's grand-scheme philosophy.

Then I'd change the name of the "Godkiller" to "Warslayer". The sword's name specifies it as a tool to kill Ares, but doesn't suggest death to other divinities. It becomes even MORE of a plot pivot when the sword proven useless against Ares, and thrusts Diana into panic, terror, and heightened devastation of the final climax.

When Ares reveals himself in the form of Thewliss/Sir Patrick, I'd have him peel his skin off to reveal the original Ares actor underneath, preferably an unknown Mediterranean. The entire final fight needed a rewritten script and a reorganization of scenes. Ares SHOULD not have called himself the God of Truth or suggested that Diana and he could "repopulate the Earth" after they kill-all-humans. He SHOULD have told her he's been on Earth for years, sowing fear and hatred and anguish everywhere, and inside everyone, ensuring endless war and his ultimate victory. Diana SHOULD have felt overwhelmed, and attempting more and more conventional attacks trying to destroy him. Meanwhile, she should ALSO be trying to deflect Ares from harming the Germans and the Oddfellows, and watch as Poison shoots them.

Ares SHOULD encourage Diana to destroy Poison --because Poison deserves death, but should be interrupted by Steve's sacrifice. While I really liked the freedom-bursting scene, I think it's more important for Diana's philosophical pivot to recognize that mankind can overcome Ares' fear and hatred and anguish, and has the potential to sacrifice themselves for peace and life and the future.

I think this is what a lot of reviewers and people are missing: Steve was a human sacrifice to a god. By the point he detonates over the airfield, Diana is entirely supersaiyan, everything's on fire, ruins, ultimate war. Diana is achieving her full potential, but it's feeding Ares. When Steve kills himself, he's sacrificing his future TO DIANA. It's love and joy and sorrow and gives her pause enough to recognize that her destructive actions are hastening endless war's ultimate end, global death.

At which point the battle changes --and instead of conventional battle, Diana snares Ares with the lasso. This time, she's in control, and she shares the Amazon message of the futility of endless war, and why she is the Warslayer. While only a god could bind him, only an Amazon would have the conviction of the words. Ares sees the futility and accepts defeat, mirroring Perez' original battle.
    Nah. I love Patty's movie.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Nah. I love Patty's movie.
    I love it too. It's just the ending that left me raw. Spent the whole week thinking what went wrong for me. Still working thru my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I love it too. It's just the ending that left me raw. Spent the whole week thinking what went wrong for me. Still working thru my thoughts.
    That is probably because you spent 5-40 years imagining your ideal Wonder Woman film. I did the same thing too and left the theatre thinking, "They should have done this and that" it was only upon my second viewing did I fully appreciate Jenkin's direction.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut