Page 70 of 120 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1789
  1. #1036
    Fantastic Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Wonder Woman delivered higher than originally estimated.
    I saw some news headlines leading up to the weekend saying Cars 3 was going to "zoom past" Wonder Woman or "race past" Wonder Woman (anything to try and diminish the DCEU, huh?).

    Boy, it sure did "race past" with only an estimated $13.5 million more on the weekend… Wonder Woman was estimated to only pull $30-$35 million this weekend but the latest estimate is $40 million.

    This movie's legs are unreal for the DCEU (and on par and better than much of the MCU), and honestly much better than anticipated. I do believe it now stands a very good chance of cracking $700 million, and I sincerely hope it does. It's standing at $570 million worldwide now and still opens in a couple more foreign markets over the next 1-2 weeks. I don't see why it won't be sitting around $640 million by the end of next weekend. It should pull in another solid week domestically this week to the tune of $20-$25 million, I'm guessing.

  2. #1037
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It is really hard not to look at that painting and not realize what's actually going on there. Antiope might as well have said "and then Heracles and his men tortured and raped us, until your mother led us to freedom."
    When you are watching it, that is only the focus for a second. It jumps. Dramatically, focusing on Hippolyta. I didn't even realize this was the rest of the painting. And I've seen the movie 15 times.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  3. #1038
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,508

    Default

    Given that a lot of people don't know the difference between a Marvel and a DC (hard to believe but true) and that this movie takes place in the before time, I'd imagine it works just as easy as a prequel to the Marvel movies as the DCs.
    🇨🇦

  4. #1039
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    When you are watching it, that is only the focus for a second. It jumps. Dramatically, focusing on Hippolyta. I didn't even realize this was the rest of the painting. And I've seen the movie 15 times.
    Twist my arm, I guess I have to go see it again!!
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  5. #1040
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    $40.5M+ For third weekend earnings.

    That buries every DCEU movie for the past five years!

    Not only does it easily beat THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, it's in the same ballpark as THE DARk KNIGHT! ($42M)
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-18-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  6. #1041
    Mighty Member KoriandrJean's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He certainly didn't seem to think so. His whole pitch to Diana was about convincing her to help him kill off humanity so he and she can remake the world into a pre-human paradise. Maybe he and she would create a new race afterward. Who knows? According to Greek myth, the gods have already destroyed and remade the human race like four times and the human race that currently exists is actually Humanity 5.0.
    Can we get some links to this, please? It sounds more like Noah, than classical Greek Myth ...
    Last edited by KoriandrJean; 06-19-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Clarification & correction

  7. #1042
    Mighty Member My Two Cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    This movie deserves the success it is building on and
    I believe with Justice League a few short months away,
    Gal Gadot and Wonder Woman will be even bigger
    come Halloween and Christmas with many children and plenty of adults.

  8. #1043
    Incredible Member RumpusMagoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    $40.5M+ For third weekend earnings.

    That buries every DCEU movie for the past five years!

    Not only does it easily beat THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, it's in the same ballpark as THE DARk KNIGHT! ($42M)
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I was really impressed with almost a full house when I went today, and everybody clapping at the end. I think this movie has some legs (it helps that it got such critical raves).

  9. #1044
    Incredible Member RumpusMagoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    509

    Default

    I think the obvious success of this movie answers a lot of questions/criticisms that Wonder Woman fans have heard over the years:

    -she's not relatable enough to be popular
    -her comic book never sells enough to warrant a movie
    -the old chestnut about the public not excepting a female action hero

    and on and on. I would have been happy if WW turned out the be above average (considering the storytelling mistakes of the prior DCU films), but I never dreamed that Wondy would be the best DC movie I've seen since the Dark Knight.

    Sitting there with my son, I couldn't help but think of my late wife who was a big WW fan, and would have enjoyed seeing Diana on the big screen. This may sound strange, but I feel that my boy and I were kind of honoring her memory in a weird way by going to see it. I am so happy that WW got the movie that the character deserves.

  10. #1045
    Astonishing Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    She's also proof that DC heroes not Batman or Superman can succeed. And she's established herself as a key member of the Trinity. Especially with her film outgrossing a Batman/Superman domestically
    DC, hurry up and make your own version of Marvel Unlimited!

  11. #1046
    Extraordinary Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Animated films and comics skew young and male. The success of the live-action film is because WB/DC presented a flagship brand in a gender-neutral, all ages media format gave it a SOLID story with tropes that skew female.

    Wonder Woman might not ever be a successful comic book superhero. She's obviously an action movie superhero. She's not an animated movie superhero.

    Maybe she's an animated series superhero. Maybe she's a Netflix Prestige Television superhero. Maybe she's a book. Maybe she's a webcomic.

  12. #1047
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post

    Sitting there with my son, I couldn't help but think of my late wife who was a big WW fan, and would have enjoyed seeing Diana on the big screen. This may sound strange, but I feel that my boy and I were kind of honoring her memory in a weird way by going to see it. I am so happy that WW got the movie that the character deserves.
    I am sorry your wife is not here. I am sure she would have really enjoyed watching the movie with her two guys.

    I know many of us fans, myself included have waited 25 years or more to see WW on screen. They don't seem to care that their fans are getting older! We are aging as we wait for even one movie with our favorite character to appear at a time when this should not be a problem.

    Glad you and your son saw it and enjoyed it. I really loved it! I want at least a second movie if not a third!

  13. #1048
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,508

    Default

    I've long felt that Wonder Woman's main problem is getting around the gate-keepers of comic book fandom, that don't seem to see the appeal in the character, to the average person on the street who has a lot of good will toward the character (they just don't all buy comic books).
    🇨🇦

  14. #1049
    Astonishing Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Animated films and comics skew young and male. The success of the live-action film is because WB/DC presented a flagship brand in a gender-neutral, all ages media format gave it a SOLID story with tropes that skew female.

    Wonder Woman might not ever be a successful comic book superhero. She's obviously an action movie superhero. She's not an animated movie superhero.

    Maybe she's an animated series superhero. Maybe she's a Netflix Prestige Television superhero. Maybe she's a book. Maybe she's a webcomic.
    I think she's a pretty successful comic book hero at least. Only Batman, Justice League, Flash, and Superman sell more than her at the moment, Even animated movie idk about because her movie sold very well

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've long felt that Wonder Woman's main problem is getting around the gate-keepers of comic book fandom, that don't seem to see the appeal in the character, to the average person on the street who has a lot of good will toward the character (they just don't all buy comic books).
    Good point. Despite not having much to her in other media, her iconography has always been big. That's why I'm so surprised it took WB took so long to a greenlight a movie for her but better late than never
    DC, hurry up and make your own version of Marvel Unlimited!

  15. #1050
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I was really impressed with almost a full house when I went today, and everybody clapping at the end. I think this movie has some legs (it helps that it got such critical raves).
    Same here!! And this was honestly one of the biggest, and the most enthusiastic crowd yet. I mean, they've all been somewhat enthusiastic, but in this one people laughed, cheered, and cried audibly, throughout!
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 06-18-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •