Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default favorite batman books and why

I'm a huge batman fan, but I've read most of the big mainstream events and comics for him (like death of the family, court of owls, endgame, the dark knight returns by frank miller, I am robin, night of the monster men and a multitude of others.). I was wondering, does anyone have any somewhat obscure bat titles that they would reccomend?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood by Rucka and Burchett. Really excellent stuff.

Have you read Black Mirror? It's not obscure, but awesome. And Gates of Gotham.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Streets of gotham and for something obscure, very different and light hearted Lil' Gotham is delightful and very very fun.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Oh, yes, those are both really solid! Also Dini's run on Tec with Dustin Nguyen, Heart of Hush and several previous issues, are really strong.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

I'd recommend Ego. That use to be more obscure, but I think it's gaining popularity recently. It's a very intimidate story tackling Bruce's psychology.

Going Sane is a story that expands on the Batman/Joker dynamic that Frank Miller set up in the Dark Knight Returns. I think it's a much better story than the Killing Joke.

I'd highly recommend the Batman in the Eighties trade. He's a far more complex character and a more inspiring character than modern Batman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Oh, yes, those are both really solid! Also Dini's run on Tec with Dustin Nguyen, Heart of Hush and several previous issues, are really strong.
    Dini's 'Tec run is really good, I'm surprised they haven't re-released a "Batman by Dini" collection as the original TPB's are OOP. Face the Face by Robinson is also good, set just after OYL when Batman was moving away from "Bat-Jerk" mode of the late 90's

The Batman run by Len Wein is good, during this period Batman & 'Tec issues follow on from each other so you get to see the progression of varying subplots like the Batman/Catwoman/Vicky Vale/Julia Pennyworth love story

From my childhood I still love the "The Batman Adventures" comics based on the 1992 Animated Series, DC have released the whole series in TPB and have started to release the sequel series "The Batman & Robin Adventures" as well, I'm hoping they will complete that series then release "Batman: Gotham Adventures" and "Batman Adventures Vol 2" - early work by Dan Slott that sadly only lasted 17 issues but its a really amazing run

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    From my childhood I still love the "The Batman Adventures" comics based on the 1992 Animated Series, DC have released the whole series in TPB and have started to release the sequel series "The Batman & Robin Adventures" as well, I'm hoping they will complete that series then release "Batman: Gotham Adventures" and "Batman Adventures Vol 2" - early work by Dan Slott that sadly only lasted 17 issues but its a really amazing run
    Oh, definitely this! I only read some of it, and it was awesome!

Some Batman stories I've read and that I really like but that I think aren't that popular or appreciated:
    Batman Prey (Moench & Gulacy), this one has a sequel, Terror, but it is far from being as good as Prey
    Batman/Deathblow (Azzarello & Bermejo), one of my favorites crossovers of franchises (Batman/Predator-Gibbons & Andy Kubert- is also pretty good, the first one at least. I haven't read the others)
    Batman Last Arkham (Grant & Breyfogle)
    Batman Faces (Matt Wagner)
    Batman Venom (O'neil & José Luis García López)

That's some of the ones I remember right now

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Dini's 'Tec run is really good, I'm surprised they haven't re-released a "Batman by Dini" collection as the original TPB's are OOP. Face the Face by Robinson is also good, set just after OYL when Batman was moving away from "Bat-Jerk" mode of the late 90's

The Batman run by Len Wein is good, during this period Batman & 'Tec issues follow on from each other so you get to see the progression of varying subplots like the Batman/Catwoman/Vicky Vale/Julia Pennyworth love story

Batman Adventures #4 and 5, where everyone loses the ability to read, is one of my fave stories.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Batman Adventures #4 and 5, where everyone loses the ability to read, is one of my fave stories.
    Oh yeah that's a good one, I love issue 17 (the final issue from Batman Adventure vol 2) when Joe Chill appears and Batman & Robin Adventures issue 12 with Bane (the first back issue I ever got! )

Incredible Member

The first Batman/Grendel.
    And Batman and Captain America.

Incredible Member

Batman Year Two (I like it more than Year One)
    Batman Full Circle (sequel to Year Two)
    Batman Ten Nights Of The Beast
    Batman The Cult
    Batman vs. Predator (the first one is good, avoid the sequels)
    Batman Special 1984 (collected in the Batman in the 80's and Batman 75th anniversary HC)

Gotham City Sirens.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Batman Special 1984 (collected in the Batman in the 80's and Batman 75th anniversary HC)
    What happens there?? Just curious. Is that the Two-Face tale?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    What happens there?? Just curious. Is that the Two-Face tale?
    It's the first appearance of Pre-Crisis Wraith character, i'm not good on summaries but I copy and pasted this one:

On the same night when Thomas and Martha Wayne were murdered by Joe Chill, another child was left an orphan, when both his parents were murdered by a police officer as they commited a crime. Ever since that night, Bruce Wayne and the other kid dedicated their entire lives to become the ultimate avengers. Bruce Wayne became Batman and fought on the side of justice and the law, while the other kid became Wrath, a force of evil against the law and order.

And here's a nice review of it: Batman Special 1984