Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member
    Last edited by Sugar Spun Sorceress; 05-13-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have this comic! Forgot about cousin Bob. I think he showed up recently, but only by telephone....at least I think someone posted about it a while back.
    He left a voice message on Jen's recorder for her 30th anniversary special reminding her to get her teeth checked and then, almost as an afterthought, greeted her Happy Birthday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    How about Tim Boo Ba! You didn't know who he is? That's ok, neither did I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Shame on you, Scott! The story of Tim Boo Ba is an absolute classic tale by the giant Steve Ditko!

And be praised for letting the fame of this wonder grow even bigger!
    I've only heard about him but saw this cover just now. Did it really have to say "Adult"? Were monster comics not allowed for kids then?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I've only heard about him but saw this cover just now. Did it really have to say "Adult"? Were monster comics not allowed for kids then?
    I think that the "Adult" has the same marketing goal as the motto : "The magazine that respects your intelligence" (I love it!)

IIRC the magazine featured only stories by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, and wasn't specialized in monster stories. Their signature was more some crazy twists à la Twilight Zone, not the incredible Kirby monsters.

The very small team of geniuses who were creating the new Marvel out of Atlas and the collapse of the company at the end of the 50's was trying various formulas. They changed Amazing Adventures - featuring Doctor Droom (later called Doctor Druid for obvious reasons)- into Amazing Adult Fantasy at the issue 7. Then changed once more the name in Amazing Fantasy without the Adult for the notorious 15th issue. No need to say what crazy Ditko/Lee story it contained, and what was the new formula they created then. I'm not sure that they were conscious at the time that they were about to change the world! )

Anyway, even if Ditko shared a studio with Eric Stanton at the time and actually helped him on some pages - especially the infamous and not safe for work (be careful with this link!) sort of female prototype of Spider Man named the Black Widow he drew in 1960 for the story "The Black Widow Sorority - you won't find any Adult content in the mag!
    Last edited by Abe; 05-11-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Anyway, even if Ditko shared a studio with Eric Stanton at the time and actually helped him on some pages - especially the infamous and not safe for work (be careful with this link!) sort of female prototype of Spider Man named the Black Widow he drew in 1960 for the story "The Black Widow Sorority - you won't find any Adult content in the mag!
    NSFW indeed, but since I'm alone in my office room (yay!) no one's stopping me!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Are we talking about just the first paragraph entry or the entire page? If it's the latter, then they do talk about the publication history and whatnot, but then I don't think any entry would fit that criteria. I'm confused
    Well, there are many Wikis out there unless were just mean the original wikipedia. Maybe I'm confused too because I thought the OP meant that there would be just one paragraph, period. I've seen a few like that, which is why I was thinking this was going to be hard.

Dominic Fortune's wiki entry is a fairly large page. Dominic Fortune's goes on to describe his powers/abilities, a fictional bio, etc. Ravin Ray's Bob Doom doesn't even have an official wikipedia page but he does have a one paragraph one in the Marvel Wikia

SuperCooper, Help! What do you mean by one paragraph? Just the first section on the Wiki or the entire wiki?

The reason I'm asking is because I've seen some I might use if just the first section is one paragraph but has publication history, fictional character biography, etc that have several paragraphs.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-12-2017 at 08:14 AM.

BANNED

I assumed it was for characters who don't even have their own Wiki page and have to make do with a single paragraph in the Wiki page of the team or character they are supporting for.

jaguar.jpg

I loved this miniseries, it was really fun to read, too bad Archie shot themselves in the foot.

From Wikipedia:

In New Crusaders the role of The Jaguar in the short-lived Red Circle digital comics universe was passed to Ralph Hardy's young apprentice Ivette "Ivy" Velez when the shy, Spanish-speaking orphan was given the cat-like golden helmet of Ai Apaec to become the savage new Jaguar.[4]

Well, there are many Wikis out there unless were just mean the original wikipedia. Maybe I'm confused too because I thought the OP meant that there would be just one paragraph, period. I've seen a few like that, which is why I was thinking this was going to be hard.

Dominic Fortune's wiki entry is a fairly large page. Dominic Fortune's goes on to describe his powers/abilities, a fictional bio, etc. Ravin Ray's Bob Doom doesn't even have an official wikipedia page but he does have a one paragraph one in the Marvel Wikia

SuperCooper, Help! What do you mean by one paragraph? Just the first section on the Wiki or the entire wiki?

The reason I'm asking is because I've seen some I might use if just the first section is one paragraph but has publication history, fictional character biography, etc that have several paragraphs.
    One paragraph would be characters whose Wikipedia entry is literally one paragraph or less, including their publication history. This would also apply to characters who are lacking a page entirely on Wikipedia.

Sorry for the confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I assumed it was for characters who don't even have their own Wiki page and have to make do with a single paragraph in the Wiki page of the team or character they are supporting for.
    That would be correct! The very much overlooked/under-appreciated or one-off characters. And the wiki can be Wikipedia or Comic Vine, anywhere there are encyclopedias for comic characters.
    Currently re-reading: Captivology • Currently re-watching: Guardians of the Galaxy • Currently re-heating: brownies in the microwave

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks for clearing that up, SuperCooper. didn't mean to be a bother.

I find that some of these characters are not fitting that criteria.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Which ones?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Only one character on the cover needs to fit the criteria. Creative selection can make it work for all sorts of usually popular covers with popular characters.

Thanks for clearing that up, SuperCooper. didn't mean to be a bother.
    No bother at all, IM, I should have made the intro post instructions clearer. Some good covers being posted so far though!

Edit: lists like these on the main Wikipedia site contain quite a few characters with one paragraph or less --

List of DC Comics Characters

List of Marvel Comics Characters
    Last edited by SuperCooper; 05-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Currently re-reading: Captivology • Currently re-watching: Guardians of the Galaxy • Currently re-heating: brownies in the microwave

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Only one character on the cover needs to fit the criteria. Creative selection can make it work for all sorts of usually popular covers with popular characters.
    I'm not trying to be a killjoy, I guess it depends on which Wiki you use but some of these characters (not the one shot villains) are pretty popular and have loads of info. Like Shoko Nishimiya, Dominic Fortune, and
    Ivette Velez

When zoologist Ralph Harding discovered the Belt of Varigon, which granted him the powers that made him the heroic Jaguar, he initially thought the mystic totem was unique. But in time he learned it was just one piece to a set of armor, one of a number of Jaguar Artifacts, each representing a unique power... a living force allowing the wearer to channel the abilities of what some ancient civilizations dubbed as "gods". Of these he also recovered the Helmet of Al Apaec. He kept his work searching for mystic artifacts a secret, known to most as only Dr. Ralph Hardy, zoologist. It was in that role that he came to know young Ivette "Ivy" Velez.

Ivette had a hard childhood, with both her parents dying while she was still an infant. Growing up in an orphanage, Ivette became extremely shy and timid, but also gained a great love for zoology. After earning a job at the zoo in the city of Red Circle, she formed a close bond with her supervisor, Ralph Hardy, who took her under his wing as her mentor. Despite her shy nature, Ivette longed to make new friends, and accompanied Hardy to a reunion of his old friends - actually his old superhero friends. When the Brain Emperor attacked the reunion of the original Mighty Crusaders, Ralph was apparently killed, but Ivette was saved by her mentor's old teammate The Shield, as were the five other teenagers that had been at the party. From this old hero Ivette learned the truth about her mentor, and learned that Ralph had left the Helmet of Al Apaec to her in his will, entrusting the Jaguar legacy to her.

Upon donning the helmet, however, Ivette's consciousness was mystically projected into the realm ruled by the fearsome, bloodthirsty, and powerful Jaguar-god Al Alpaec. As the embodiment of battle and carnage, Al Alpaec had nothing but contempt for Hardy, the god Varigon, and most of all Ivette, who he terrified into fleeing his domain, screaming insults at her so loud his entire firey world shook. Inspired by watching her new friends overcome their own fears, however, Ivette confronted Al Apaec once more, standing up to his taunts and promising the god that if he empowered her he would have the "glorious battles" he craved. Seeing that she might have some use to him, Al Apaec bestowed Ivette with his power. Ivette became the new Jaguar, and joined the New Crusaders.

Al Apaec's power did not come without a price, however, and Ivette soon realized that he had not just lent her his power, he had filled the normally-meek girl with his dangerous thirst for battle and carnage as well.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/ivette-velez/4005-85787/
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

BANNED

I'm not trying to be a killjoy, I guess it depends on which Wiki you use but some of these characters (not the one shot villains) are pretty popular and have loads of info. Like Shoko Nishimiya, Dominic Fortune, and
    Ivette Velez

When zoologist Ralph Harding discovered the Belt of Varigon, which granted him the powers that made him the heroic Jaguar, he initially thought the mystic totem was unique. But in time he learned it was just one piece to a set of armor, one of a number of Jaguar Artifacts, each representing a unique power... a living force allowing the wearer to channel the abilities of what some ancient civilizations dubbed as "gods". Of these he also recovered the Helmet of Al Apaec. He kept his work searching for mystic artifacts a secret, known to most as only Dr. Ralph Hardy, zoologist. It was in that role that he came to know young Ivette "Ivy" Velez.

Ivette had a hard childhood, with both her parents dying while she was still an infant. Growing up in an orphanage, Ivette became extremely shy and timid, but also gained a great love for zoology. After earning a job at the zoo in the city of Red Circle, she formed a close bond with her supervisor, Ralph Hardy, who took her under his wing as her mentor. Despite her shy nature, Ivette longed to make new friends, and accompanied Hardy to a reunion of his old friends - actually his old superhero friends. When the Brain Emperor attacked the reunion of the original Mighty Crusaders, Ralph was apparently killed, but Ivette was saved by her mentor's old teammate The Shield, as were the five other teenagers that had been at the party. From this old hero Ivette learned the truth about her mentor, and learned that Ralph had left the Helmet of Al Apaec to her in his will, entrusting the Jaguar legacy to her.

Upon donning the helmet, however, Ivette's consciousness was mystically projected into the realm ruled by the fearsome, bloodthirsty, and powerful Jaguar-god Al Alpaec. As the embodiment of battle and carnage, Al Alpaec had nothing but contempt for Hardy, the god Varigon, and most of all Ivette, who he terrified into fleeing his domain, screaming insults at her so loud his entire firey world shook. Inspired by watching her new friends overcome their own fears, however, Ivette confronted Al Apaec once more, standing up to his taunts and promising the god that if he empowered her he would have the "glorious battles" he craved. Seeing that she might have some use to him, Al Apaec bestowed Ivette with his power. Ivette became the new Jaguar, and joined the New Crusaders.

Al Apaec's power did not come without a price, however, and Ivette soon realized that he had not just lent her his power, he had filled the normally-meek girl with his dangerous thirst for battle and carnage as well.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/ivette-velez/4005-85787/
    The regular Wikipedia just has this though:
    "Ivette Velez spent her whole life in an orphanage after her parents died when she was still a baby. While there, Ralph Hardy, the original Jaguar, took her under his wing as her mentor. Jaguar's animalistic powers originate in the mystical jaguar helmet that Ralph discovered for her.[24][25]"