Default Novel to Graphic Novel - Thoughts?

I have just read the graphic novel of David Gemmell's 'Legend'. The book was absolutely awesome (apart from that awful ending...), and I was quite excited about the graphic novel. Overall, I wasn't too disappointed. I think it flowed well enough and I like the art. The characters were also mostly as I imagined them which was nice. The main thing that I disliked was that it felt very short and I am confident that they could easily have included some additional key points in the graphic novel without drastically adding much volume.

This is my first experience of a reading a graphic novel adaptation of a novel, but I'd do so again. Any thoughts on such adaptations in general, or any examples of when it has or hasn't worked?

I also have Wolf in Shadow but I haven't read the books, so I may delay reading it.

Enigma
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I think the only novel adaptation ive read is Marvels Dark Tower stuff, all of which is really good.

Fantastic Member

The comic version of Stephen King's The Stand is real good.

I enjoy comic adaptations of prose works. I've got the Self Made Hero Lovecraft stuff as well as some of the James Bond strip adaptations of Flemings books.

Boom did an adaptation of Philip K Dicks: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. As I understand it, they've got the complete novel text in the 24 issues. I was looking into it after re-watching Blade Runner the other day.

I bought one of the later arcs of The Stand because it was labelled 1 to 5, which was slightly misleading :P Thus, I haven't read it yet as I don't have the rest haha
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Liked the Dark Tower, didn't like The Stand, liked The Great And Secret Show, liked The Keep, I think that's about it as far as adaptations I've got

Two Brothers from Ba & Moon is an adaptation from one of the most famous brazilian contemporary novels, about the lebanese/syrian community at the Amazonian region. It's worth a read!
    Last edited by seusilva; 05-11-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    The comic version of Stephen King's The Stand is real good.

I enjoy comic adaptations of prose works. I've got the Self Made Hero Lovecraft stuff as well as some of the James Bond strip adaptations of Flemings books.
    are they good? I like the artstyle but I'm not sure how they would translate from prose. Also I've always shied away from Lovecraft books in the past because I've heard from various sources that while he was a very imaginative writer his actual writing style wasn't all that great. But maybe a good comicbook adaptation would for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Liked the Dark Tower, didn't like The Stand, liked The Great And Secret Show, liked The Keep, I think that's about it as far as adaptations I've got
    I was meaning to buy the dlx since it came out but I'm not exactly a Barker fan, I've only seen the first Hellraiser movie which was good especially for a first time director but didn't exactly make me seek out more of his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    are they good? I like the artstyle but I'm not sure how they would translate from prose. Also I've always shied away from Lovecraft books in the past because I've heard from various sources that while he was a very imaginative writer his actual writing style wasn't all that great. But maybe a good comicbook adaptation would for me.

I was meaning to buy the dlx since it came out but I'm not exactly a Barker fan, I've only seen the first Hellraiser movie which was good especially for a first time director but didn't exactly make me seek out more of his work.
    He's not a great director but his first six or so novels were outstanding

Fantastic Member

I'm a Lovecraft fan from way back, and a lover of "cosmic horror" and weird fiction in general. I like his writing style, but I can certainly understand why many don't. He's verbose to a fault, and he relies heavily on a selection of "tricks" or tropes to do what he does, but it works for me. His best stories like The Colour Out of Space and Whisperer in the Darkness and The Dunwich Horror are just great afaic. I enjoy graphic adaptations of his stories because it's interesting to see how different artists represent the "indescribable horrors" Lovecraft imagines. The Self Made Hero stuff is quite good. I like the understated/classic art style of Culbard in the adaptations of longer works, and some of the artists in the 2 short story volumes really do a great job.

thanks guys, those just went up quite a bit on my wishlist. Although the Culbard stuff has the disadvantage of being just regular paperbacks.

Fantastic Member

thanks guys, those just went up quite a bit on my wishlist. Although the Culbard stuff has the disadvantage of being just regular paperbacks.
    they are nice paperbacks though, and not terribly costly.

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    they are nice paperbacks though, and not terribly costly.
    I will probably get one or two sometime soon, Lovecraft is big missing chunk of my popculture knowledge (I mostly know his works through other stories he inspired) so this would be the most convenient way to catch up

Fantastic Member

The Dark Tower, Oz, Two Brothers are all great
    i'm conflicted about American Gods tho, can't really put my finger on it, maybe it's because it continues to be too text heavy and the artwork is not quite something up my alley... of course, only two issues in, probably too soon to tell.