Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    This is simple. Just. Make. A black Wolverine. Boom. Problem solved.

He'll be everywhere. On every team, in his solo book, and guest-starring all over the place.
    Or they can just retcon Laura to canonize the fanon that Sarah Kinney used her own DNA to complete the cloning process. And then have Sarah be of Hispanic, or maybe native ancestry. Now you have an ethnic female Wolverine.

Actually, it wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility for Logan himself to be retconned to have native ancestry, which would make it even easier.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't even know how to respond to this as it makes very little sense to me. A book has to be about a minority for there to be diverse characters. Okay. The second part is false and it really doesn't bother me you feel that way as if you read that isn't what happened. And you never addressed why does a human always have to be by default white for a story to make sense. What happens when the white majority is the minority? Would it be fair if at that point there are no white people in comics and they were told if a story was right or about a minority you may once again see it. Statics show that will be happening pretty soon. So I guess this conversation is done.
    These are American comics that is the reason the predominance of white characters in these media for a long time, that's how it is, just like with manga where the characters are japanese or manwha were they are Korean or Manhua where they are chinese. Now you said that you have to endure white characters for a long time, at least with the X-men that isn't the case, the X-men have been diverse since Claremont took over, so that statement is false.

If a writer wants to put diverse characters or not, that is up to them, they shouldn't be coerced into doing it. And in this particular case, with Bunn, we know he didn't have a choice, editorial told him to use this cast.

I've never said a human has to be white by default in a story, do not put words in my mouth. I'm just saying that i don't need a characters to be from a certain race so i can identify with and honestly it's impossible to represent every race in the world and keep everyone happy, and even more representing them well. So overall i found incredible stupid to judge a writer and a work solely on how diverse are its characters. Just like you did with Bunn.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    the real problem seems to be that people from diverse backgrounds are seen as different. Like a story needs to change just because we exist.
    Thank you. Excellent point. There's no "theme" a book may have where the perpectives of minorities wouldn't be required or it would deviate from whatever the story is about.

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    And why is it that every writer has the obligation of inserting minorities characters into the books.
    They don't but we are not obligated to shut up and not express our criticisms of their lack of diversity either.

I don't understand why people need the characters to be their same race and religion so they can identify with
    We've been doing that forever and we still do all the time. If minorities couldn't relate to straight/white/male characters we wouldn't be fans of comics in the first place. Or tv, or movies, or games.

you accusing a writer of being racist for not including minorites
    Nobody accuse anybody of being racist in this thread. Literally the only people who brought up racism where the people outraged that someone would dare to criticize a book about lacking people of colour and then procceded to accuse them of accusing others of being racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Materiel View Post
    That's all I wanted to know, thank you for sharing. It sounds a lot like what you'd here from many posters for a multitude of reasons. Personally, I still think editorial is a bigger culprit than a writer and being part of Marvel makes editorial virtually inescapable.
    I'm sure editorial is behind the O5 getting a book instead of the young/new mutants but aside from the O5 there's room in the team for more members. At least two of the New X-Men (Surge, Pixie, Anole, Dust, Mercury, Indra...) could've joined... but now there's already a new addition in the form of Jimmy, who does nothing to solve the problem and I don't think we can blame that one on Marvel editorial.

This is simple. Just. Make. A black Wolverine. Boom. Problem solved.

He'll be everywhere. On every team, in his solo book, and guest-starring all over the place.
    That doesn't work with diverse Wolverines. Daken is nowhere to be seen, even in a supporting cast. But Logan's str8 white son is coming into Blue and will probably receive the exact treatment you described.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post

They don't but we are not obligated to shut up and not express our criticisms of their lack of diversity either.

We've been doing that forever and we still do all the time. If minorities couldn't relate to straight/white/male characters we wouldn't be fans of comics in the first place. Or tv, or movies, or games.

Nobody accuse anybody of being racist in this thread. Literally the only people who brought up racism where the people outraged that someone would dare to criticize a book about lacking people of colour and then procceded to accuse them of accusing others of being racist.
    Yeah that poster said none of Bunn's works were diverse ad that he retweeted Trump, he was clearly trying to imply stuff about the writer. He wrote diverse characters before and you know damn well the o5 are editorial mandated, he accused Bunn of writing a book full of white people knowing well that the writer didn't choose those characters, Bunn's been writing Magneto who is a jewish since 2014!

The O5 are all white because they are product of the 60s, they are editorial mandated and the writer has no say in that. Why is he bashing the writer then?

What's the problem with representation in the X-men franchise, there have always been really diverse characters in this franchsie. Personally, It's not their race that matters to me is their personality traits, but that's my own opinion, a character can be ay race for me to identify with. In any case criticizing a work solely for how much it fits a progressive narrative or not it's stupid, it's valid criticism but it's still stupid.

BANNED

1. Lolliepad is using alternative facts. jwatson did not accuse Bunn of being racist nor of supporting Trump. It was the opposite, Jwatson praised his writing and his anti-trump posts. How that got twisted I don't know.

2. In Bunn vs Jwatson, I side w Jwatson. Personally I completely disagree w this idea that every book needs a quota. I'd also give Bunn control of the x-line. I feel he's most likely to thrust the line into a new era. With that said, Bunn over reacted to Jwatsons critical yet respectful critiques.

3. If you want diversity,focus less on characters and more on behind the scenes. Demand a non colorblind, non women go nuts if they lose a man sort of writers for the main xmen teams. Y'all Hate the O5 but go out of your ways to act like they're the main xbook. Gold and Astonishing are the main xbooks.

4. Blue is the best x book out currently.

5. Support Black Panther and The Crew, AND Iceman!!! I know I am and will.

Oh god. Writers coming here is always messy and complicated. I do think people could be a bit more respectful instead of talking how they usually do when they aren't here(just imagine Bendis here with people saying all the shit they do about thim.! That would be just rude), but I also think most of the time they go to a place of discussion but don't accept anything other than praise... I don't have any complaints about XMB(is my favorite X-Book right now) but I understand why other people do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    No-one, except... Logan. The BS love triangle, remember?

Oh, yes, and... Angel, O5-Beast, the kid in college, old man Logan (yuck!)...
    Not OML, but you forgot Glob.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Didnt hr gst sent bavk to UU? What is he doung here?

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    1. Lolliepad is using alternative facts. jwatson did not accuse Bunn of being racist nor of supporting Trump. It was the opposite, Jwatson praised his writing and his anti-trump posts. How that got twisted I don't know.

2. In Bunn vs Jwatson, I side w Jwatson. Personally I completely disagree w this idea that every book needs a quota. I'd also give Bunn control of the x-line. I feel he's most likely to thrust the line into a new era. With that said, Bunn over reacted to Jwatsons critical yet respectful critiques.

3. If you want diversity,focus less on characters and more on behind the scenes. Demand a non colorblind, non women go nuts if they lose a man sort of writers for the main xmen teams. Y'all Hate the O5 but go out of your ways to act like they're the main xbook. Gold and Astonishing are the main xbooks.

4. Blue is the best x book out currently.

5. Support Black Panther and The Crew, AND Iceman!!! I know I am and will.
    Black Panther and The Crew is being cancelled. Apparently the decision was made after issue #2! Damn. How do they make a decision to pull the plug that quickly?

Black Panther and The Crew is being cancelled. Apparently the decision was made after issue #2! Damn. How do they make a decision to pull the plug that quickly?
    I imagine they see the pre-order numbers on the first few issues, calculate how long it'll stay profitable, and go from there. That's really disappointing, though. It feels more and more like anything that doesn't premier at 40K+ in the sales guesstimates is DOA. And it got next to no advertising besides.

BANNED

I also think trying to franchise any semi-successful book (Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Daredevil, GOTG, etc) is a problem itself. You can't apply that thinking to all properties.