Default THE GREEN HORNET '66 MEETS THE SPIRIT (five-issue series)

THE GREEN HORNET '66 MEETS THE SPIRIT #1 (of 5)
    Another challenge for THE GREEN HORNET, his aide KATO, and their rolling arsenal, THE BLACK BEAUTY! On police records a wanted criminal, THE GREEN HORNET is really Britt Reid, owner/publisher of The Daily Sentinel. Reid and Kato have traveled to Central City to participate in the futuristic World's Fair, to get the skinny on the "Newspaper of Tomorrow," a device capable of predicting headlines before events happen! But isn't that a dangerous power for the press to wield... and say, who's that blue-suited skulker in the shadows?
    Writer: Fred Van Lente
    Art: Bob Q
    Cover A: Mike Allred & Laura Allred
    Cover B: Ty Templeton
    Cover C: Javier Pulido
    Genre: Crime, Superhero
    Rating: Teen +
    Format: Comic Book
    Page Count: 32 Pages
    U.S. Cover Price: $3.99
    ON SALE DATE: 7/5/2017
    https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...13026015401011

covers:

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Looks great.

And we'll probably get it all before the Corpse Makers wraps up.

I'm just a little annoyed with the Allred cover for issue #1.

It shows the Unisphere which was at the 1964-65 World's Fair in New York (which is still located at the site in Queens).

But the "World's Fair" for this story is suppose to be in "Central City".
    (So did they supposedly just build another one?)

Guess we'll have to see if they have one in the actual story itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Green Hornet and Spirit are wearing the same costume, different colors. The same fedora hats. The same trench coats. The same domino masks. Just different colors.
    Yes?

The thing that gets me about that is that I'm more use to The Spirit wearing a suit jacket as opposed to a trench coat (unless it's raining or for other weather-related issues). But whatever.
    One character is believed to be a criminal, while the other had been working closely with the police.

I was a bit hesitant about buying this series when I read the preview pages for issue #1, but after two issues so far it's not bad (and even a bit enjoyable).
    Issue #2 seemed to pattern itself more along the lines of a classic Eisner Spirit-style story with Hypnos Schnooze, but the "revelation" at the end of the 2nd issue leads to a lot of possibilities here, like whether the gloved figure in the shadows is really who Van Lente seems to be setting him up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Looks great.

And we'll probably get it all before the Corpse Makers wraps up.
    Well, issue #5 of THE GREEN HORNET '66 MEETS THE SPIRIT is due out on Wednesday, November 8th.

And as far as I know, issue #5 of WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT: THE CORPSE-MAKERS still has no definite date yet.
    (Previewsworld still has it as "In Shops: Dec 27, 2017".)

So, yeah, it is wrapping up ahead of Francavilla's The Spirit limited-series.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, issue #5 of THE GREEN HORNET '66 MEETS THE SPIRIT is due out on Wednesday, November 8th.

I won't be able to get this until tomorrow, but any body else buy this yet / planning to pick it up soon?
    (Or is anybody trade-waiting for a collected version?)

By the way, I wanted to check the numbers (through Diamond) for this run, but all I can find is:

July 2017 = 248th - Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit #1 - 6,797 copies
    I can only assume the other issues (from August-October) didn't make the Top 300 list.

NOTE: comichron.com does give numbers for some titles that place lower than 300th on their monthly chart listings, but not for books from all publishers.
    (And it looks like Dynamite is one of those publishers they don't report number of copies ordered when titles place lower than 300th.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I just finished reading the 5-issue series. I was not exactly satisfied with the story especially the ending. But the story was rather decent. However, I am impressed with the art
    Some parts of the story were good, but things like the way Hypnos Schnooze just showed up again at the end was too forced for my tastes.
    Also, where did all those "empty" coffins come from in issue #5 for things like the blood transfusion? Do they keep a good back-up supply of new coffins at a cemetery (though I would have thought a mortuary / funeral parlor would have been a more likely source for that), or were these "pre-owned", "gently-used" coffins direct from the graves?

BANNED

I don`t have a baggage from reading the Spirit (need to change that) but I thought the mistery bit with the Octopus was gripping until the end. The artwork was clean and crisp and the characterization was nice, altho I take some issue with portraiting Britt as an unskilled brawler just to contrast him with Kato.

Kato is nearly superhuman in skill and sgility but the Green Hornet should at the very least be a skilled boxer/grappler due to his bigger size.

Looks like the trade paperback collection for this is currently due out in mid-March (2018).

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...RO=C1524105902

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN181550