Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default If you like them you'll be happy, if you don't....

http://www.comicsbeat.com/report-leg...arvel-readers/

Seems the writing lineup is gonna stay status quo on Legacy

I don't know. It's still not saying much. It was a bit of a given that a lot of what we have right now would remain. I'm more interested in new titles, and the inclusion/come back of classic characters, which isn't mentioned in this article.

I'm guessing we'll find out more during summer, after Secret Empire ends.

"Iron Man – will still be written by Brian Michael Bendis. Bendis confirmed this on the current Word Balloon podcast, saying that the title will soon revert to the #600 legacy numbering."

Not surprised at all, but still extremely disappointed.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

It's not surprising. And there are conflicting criticisms going on. One is that Marvel needs to shake things up. The other is that Marvel needs to let books actually develop and not constantly get interrupted by relaunches. For example, I really enjoy Charles Soule's Daredevil, but I didn't like it much when it started. It took awhile to get good. If it relaunched with a new writer with Marvel NOW 2.0, it never would have gotten good. Even now, I'd hate for it to change with Legacy. There are writers who I think need the opportunity to tell the story they want to tell.

I'm also not sure I agree that a change in lineup is needed to change direction. Some writers are talented enough that I think they could pull it off if that's the direction they are told to go, while they told a different story before because that's what was suggested. The only exception to this is Dan Slott. He's been told to go back to basics before and will undoubtedly be told to do that again. In my view, he's absolutely burned out is on autopilot (or, at least, his ideas are more bad than good). That being said, that book sells well and I suspect Marvel is afraid that Slott will flat out quit Marvel if he isn't allowed to write Spider-Man anymore. If I were them, I'd return to legacy numbering on Spectacular Spider-Man as well and hope that Zdarsky gives Spider-Man the fresh blood it needs.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I still want to know why the allowed that rewrite of Stark's parentage. it did not improve the story one iota. and now we're stuck with a brand new "mom" character who lacks the charm of even Blind Al. was it just to tie Tony to Hydra? to what end? his personality still comes from Howard Stark; from what I've seen. neither of his new parents are supergeniuses or even mechanically-inclined.

About what I was expecting, honestly. When Legacy was announced, it was with very, very little actual information. The idea that it would be a reboot or wholesale creative shakeup or something was simply wishful thinking from fans unhappy with the way things are right now. As more information was released, it became increasingly apparent that any changes with nostalgia in mind were going to be largely superficial. Numbering, corner boxes, etc. Cosmetic stuff.

As someone who is more or less happy with how things are, I'm cool with it. There are a couple I think could do with a new creative team, but not too fussed about it, I can wait a bit longer.

(Sigh) I guess I was kind of expecting this to some degree, even if I was excited at the possibility of some new blood as part of Marvel changing their direction to "back-to-basics" or to a more classic feel. I mean, I guess some of these writers aren't done with whatever stories they have in mind on these titles, so that's probably part of the reason they're being kept on, but that's not necessarily endearing me to come back to those books or to Legacy as a whole.

I mean, would anything really be changing?

I've really no inkling to read anymore of Bendis writing Iron Man, Slott writing ASM, or Spencer writing Steve Rogers. I guess the latter means Spencer will at least be dealing with the fallout of HydraCap once Steve is restored.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'd like to see what Spencer would do with a traditional Cap. That's one story where a change of direction seems very possible with the same writer. I hope Daniel Alcuna is on the book too.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Since we're talking about rumors, Bleeding Cool posted a few months back that Marvel was trying to line up A-listers for 2018, which suggests there might be another rebranding to come after Legacy.

Of course these aren't mutually exclusive; even if they roll out some new writers and artists they're not going to introduce a whole new slate of creators.

Then again I'm of the opinion that the 2012 Marvel NOW! shakeup, where they took their top writers and made them switch books, did more harm than good overall (though it did lead to Aaron finding his niche on Thor).

A big question for me is who they get to do Avengers and what the approach will be.
    Last edited by gurkle; 05-10-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'd like to see what Spencer would do with a traditional Cap. That's one story where a change of direction seems very possible with the same writer. I hope Daniel Alcuna is on the book too.
    I'm at least curious to see what his take on a traditional Cap with Steve would be like.

His Sam run has bascially been Sam trying to be a traditional Cap with the world and society just not letting him. Might even be the same for Steve because of HydraCap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Yeah, I'd be very disappointed if Spencer left Cap after SE. I really want to see him write traditional Cap and deal with the fallout from SE.

And as for other writers staying put, I'm cool with that too.

I don't want Soule to leave Daredevil. Or Slott to leave Spidey. Or Bendis to leave Miles or Iron Man. I dig all those runs right now and I want to see them continue.

Will they have a slightly different approach post-SE? Probably - and that's fine. But I see no reason to shake up those books just for the sake of random creative shuffling.

I will say that I would expect writers to pick up some new titles. Spencer might have space in his schedule once SE is done and I could see him adding another monthly.

Soule is seemingly capable of writing an insane amount of books at once so I'm never surprised when he adds more work.

Slott's Silver Surfer might possibly be winding down after the next plotline and if it does, he might hop onto something new.

And Aaron just dropped Dr. Strange and my hunch is that it was to make room for a Legacy title - possibly FF.

I think the biggest creative change in Legacy will be with Avengers. I like Waid's run but I don't think it's clicking with a lot of readers. I think he came in with a disadvantage following Hickman's run. You couldn't try and go bigger than Hickman did - at least not directly after his run - so there was no place to go but to scale things back. And a scaled back Avengers just doesn't feel quite Avenger-y enough.

Like I said, I dig it. I really like the more personal feel of Waid's run - that's something that Hickman's Avengers lacked. But it's a book that needs a shot in the arm and maybe that will just be a matter of Waid kicking it up but I'm thinking it might be time for a change. We'll see - but that's the one big book I can most imagine getting a Legacy shake-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, I'd be very disappointed if Spencer left Cap after SE. I really want to see him write traditional Cap and deal with the fallout from SE.

And as for other writers staying put, I'm cool with that too.

I don't want Soule to leave Daredevil. Or Slott to leave Spidey. Or Bendis to leave Miles or Iron Man. I dig all those runs right now and I want to see them continue.
    Well, we can at least agree on Soule on DD and Bendis on Miles .

Kind of ok with this. Aaron on Thor, Soule on Daredevil and Spencer on Cap are all writing the types of long runs I love. I'd rather they be allowed to keep going. I heard Soule had an incredibly complex 50-60 issue plan when he started Daredevil, I'd love for him to complete that.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Kind of ok with this. Aaron on Thor, Soule on Daredevil and Spencer on Cap are all writing the types of long runs I love. I'd rather they be allowed to keep going. I heard Soule had an incredibly complex 50-60 issue plan when he started Daredevil, I'd love for him to complete that.
    ...And I hope Garney sticks with him the whole way!

I feel like they're gonna put Ewing on some big books that Marvel knows will sell regardless of who's writing them. His books are some of the best Marvel puts out, but for whatever reason he sells low and people complain that he sells low (on Bleeding Cool).

Aaron is definitely gonna write whatever book comes out of that big return and he definitely ain't leaving Thor. Jane's story can continue into next year, at most.

If Hickman comes back, it's for this. No idea what he'd write though.

I'm interested in seeing what books the newer talent get. Cloonan only writing Punisher is a crime and Rosenberg is one of the best new writers in comics.