• Spawn #245

0 0%
  • Spread #1

5 33.33%
  • Walking Dead #129

2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Image Comic of the Week July 9 2014 - Spread #1, Death Vigil #1

Lots of parity last week but Lazarus #9 came away the comic of the week with 6 votes.

Today is Justin Jordan and Kyle Strahm's big release of Spread #1. It's Lone Wolf and Cub meets John Carpenter's The Thing in a post apocalyptic wasteland where the only hope for humanity is a baby toddler girl named Hope. How could you not be excited about that? Also this week, we have the debut of Death Vigil #1 by Stjepan Sejic.

Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 07-09-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Check out this gorgeous artwork from Spread #1. Pick this up today!

Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 07-09-2014 at 12:14 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Oh whoa that Spread artwork looks gorgeous!! Didn't really catch the hype for that one, but yeah if the whole comic can keep up that level of art I might have to consider it... Btw Groo Odyssey, I see you read Courtney Crumrin? Been eyeing that series for a while now, but I don't really get how it works. Do the volumes come first (like "...And the Night Things", "The Coven of Mystics" etc.), or do the single issues go first? Or are the volumes collections of those single issues? Would you recommend it?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Oh whoa that Spread artwork looks gorgeous!! Didn't really catch the hype for that one, but yeah if the whole comic can keep up that level of art I might have to consider it... Btw Groo Odyssey, I see you read Courtney Crumrin? Been eyeing that series for a while now, but I don't really get how it works. Do the volumes come first (like "...And the Night Things", "The Coven of Mystics" etc.), or do the single issues go first? Or are the volumes collections of those single issues? Would you recommend it?
    I had my eye on Courtney Crumrin for a while from the glowing recommendations from users in the independent forum. I first picked up the free comic book day copy at my LCS and liked it but it wasn't until I read the first issue of Princess Ugg out last month which blew me away (I gave it a 10/10 rating) and found out it was the same creator Ted Naifeh for both series that I knew I absolutely had to get it. Seriously, it's absolutely amazing.
    The volumes collect the single issues and the series is done now. There's 6 volumes in total that I got at amazon, still catching up on all my reading but it's really good so far. The Night Things would be the first volume followed by The Coven of Mystics etc.

Pick up Princess Ugg #1 to get a sample of Ted Naifeh's work and see if you like it. It's really charming. I see that you like to read Adventure Time so I'm really confident that you will like it. I'll be picking up everything that Ted Naifeh will put out in the future.

If you do end up liking Courtney Crumrin and Princess Ugg, make sure you pick up Anne Bonnie and Rat Queens as well. These titles are very similar and a lot of fun and the series has just started.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 07-09-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I had my eye on Courtney Crumrin for a while from the glowing recommendations from users in the independent forum. I first picked up the free comic book day copy at my LCS and liked it but it wasn't until I read the first issue of Princess Ugg out last month which blew me away (I gave it a 10/10 rating) and found out it was the same creator Ted Naifeh for both series that I knew I absolutely had to get it. Seriously, it's absolutely amazing.
    The volumes collect the single issues and the series is done now. There's 6 volumes in total that I got at amazon, still catching up on all my reading but it's really good so far. The Night Things would be the first volume followed by The Coven of Mystics etc.

Pick up Princess Ugg #1 to get a sample of Ted Naifeh's work and see if you like it. It's really charming. I see that you like to read Adventure Time so I'm really confident that you will like it. I'll be picking up everything that Ted Naifeh will put out in the future.

If you do end up liking Courtney Crumrin and Princess Ugg, make sure you pick up Anne Bonnie and Rat Queens as well. These titles are very similar and a lot of fun and the series has just started.
    Awww I didn't know they did an FCBD issue for it!! Dang it, would've been a perfect opportunity to try it out. Oh well, but yeah sounds good then, I might just order the first volume and see whether I like it. I did see that Princess Ugg preview a while back and kinda went "meh looks like medieval fantasy" which isn't really my thing. Then again, Rat Queens is amazing... But awesome, thanks for the reply. Will check Naifeh's work out soon then!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Meh. Just a whole lot of nothing this week honestly. Even the best comic I read from Image doesn't come close to what Vertigo or DC put out. What a lackluster week for them. Hey Image, stop shoving all the good stuff to end of the frickin' month!

1. Shutter
    2. Death Vigil

6. Spread

Spread gets my vote this week. Was as good as I had hoped it would be based on all the teases/previews. Creepy and intriguing with what seems like will be a badass/cool lead. Very good start.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki