Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default America #3 (SPOILERS)

Running around today, so I don't have time for a full synopsis. Just some observations from the latest issue:

- I liked this issue more than the previous ones. I was hoping we'd see more of America's origins with regard to her home dimension, but I did like the idea of her having multiple adopted cultures.

- Always happy to see the X-Men show up, and Storm and MAC got some nice moments together. I'm not sure the execution of the whole "touchy, feely love stuff" quite did it for me, but I appreciated the intent.

- The pacing on this book is pretty frantic overall. Still not really feeling the whole thing with Lisa. Again, it's just too fast - America's self-awareness came on as suddenly as the break-up itself. I hope we get past this soon, one way or the other.

- Always happy to see more Prodigy, and I'm hoping he gets to do a little more than be MAC's tag-along at some point.

- I'm half and half on this whole business of America apparently being a some sort of Chosen One. It's not a trope I'm terribly fond of. But it'll depend on execution, I suppose.

Still not loving this book, but enjoying it enough to stick with it.

I have no idea of what the hell happened after she met Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I have no idea of what the hell happened after she met Storm.
    Glad it wasn't just me. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I liked it, even if whatever was going on with Storm was left kinda vague.

This was paced more traditionally, but I honestly would rather have the weird pacing of the first two issues, which I found enjoyable and helped create a tone almost reminiscent of X-Statix in a way.

I like when a comic gives me what I didn't know I wanted, and this is doing it for me so far.

-Pav, who wants more Prodigy though...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I liked it, even if whatever was going on with Storm was left kinda vague.

This was paced more traditionally, but I honestly would rather have the weird pacing of the first two issues, which I found enjoyable and helped create a tone almost reminiscent of X-Statix in a way.

I like when a comic gives me what I didn't know I wanted, and this is doing it for me so far.

-Pav, who wants more Prodigy though...

And was the old woman in the boxing ring America? because of the hoodie I couldn't see if she had a star on her upper chest or not like in the boxing ring. Is she her own ancestor? Is Storm her ancestor? I mean she could originate from any point in time or reality.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I find it too frantic and chaotic. I so badly want to like this book, but every issue I read I'm left with a sense of disappointment.

I enjoyed this issue a lot more. Admittedly, a lot of that probably has to do with Stacey Lee. I frigging love Stacey Lee's art. It is so gorgeous. Stacey Lee drawing Punk Storm proves there is still good in the world.

But just on the whole, I enjoyed this issue more, and I hope it continues to get better.

Mighty Member

Ok, I know that my english is not very good, but I was totally lost. I stay for Stacey Lee, but the writing don't make any sense for me. America Chavez is an important character, with a lot of potential, but Marvel need to let real writers handle her stories. Or she will end like Captain Marvel or the new Ghost Rider.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

There were some parts of this that I really enjoyed, but it's still not adding up to a satisfying book. I'll probably pick up the Hawkeye crossover issue, but other than that I'm pretty much done. It's just not for me, although I do hope the book finds an audience.

Amazing Member

I'm just a sucker for punishment now. I want this book to be good but it's so bad.....This issue has all the problems of the previous 2 and it all centers on Gabby just not being a good comic book writer. She can't pace a story, she doesn't understand Americas inner voice and just writes herself. It doesn't surprise me this book has not found it's audience and frankly I don't think it will make it past issue 7.

In the future maybe a more serious ( at least not as goofy and juvenile) series with someone like Al Ewing on it might last a bit longer and raise the profile of the character. This series to me has been a step back.

Quote Originally Posted by Br_Havoc View Post
    I'm just a sucker for punishment now. I want this book to be good but it's so bad.....This issue has all the problems of the previous 2 and it all centers on Gabby just not being a good comic book writer. She can't pace a story, she doesn't understand Americas inner voice and just writes herself. It doesn't surprise me this book has not found it's audience and frankly I don't think it will make it past issue 7.

In the future maybe a more serious ( at least not as goofy and juvenile) series with someone like Al Ewing on it might last a bit longer and raise the profile of the character. This series to me has been a step back.
    Or one of the many, many Latina writers already working in comics, who continually get overlooked because Marvel would rather look to completely different mediums for diverse writers. Getting a Latina writer on this book was a good idea. Getting one who's never written comics was a bad idea.

Incredible Member

I want this book to do well but I also want this book to be better. I was hoping the comixology free issue one deal for a bit would bring people in but based off current sales I think it'll continue to drop and this book will be another book I wanted to be good then failed quickly... like my good friend Robbie Reyes.... and novas. I don't want America to be doomed to only do well in team books, but unless we get a better writer that's how it looks we will only see her in the future. Don't get me wrong the more books with her in it the better, but I wanted this solo to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Getting a Latina writer on this book was a good idea. Getting one who's never written comics was a bad idea.
    Sadly, I have to agree. I'll keep supporting the book for now, but I'd much prefer a situation where I was enthused for the next issue rather than there just being enough good elements to keep me from dropping it.

Theres also issue 5 to look foward to, which is co-written with one of my favorite writers, Kelly Thomspson, so maybe together they can weave a more cohesive issue.

I havent read issue 3 and keep pulling that the series will get better, but at the very least I know I will get some amazing art.

The biggest takeaway from this issue clearly has to be this moment:

thunderclap (2).jpg

Storm has a safeword. She presumably came up with the safeword for a reason. And this was not long after she met Yukio. So I'm pretty sure Gabby Rivera is implying that Storm and Yukio engaged in BDSM.

An idea I support 100%.