Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Or one of the many, many Latina writers already working in comics, who continually get overlooked because Marvel would rather look to completely different mediums for diverse writers. Getting a Latina writer on this book was a good idea. Getting one who's never written comics was a bad idea.
    Reason I said Ewing is due to him already having a good understanding of the character and showing it Ultimates. So he would be my first choice to nail down America's voice. Then again I don't subscribe to the idea that minority characters can only be well written by writers similar to them, Sometimes it can add a new voice and work well then others like this book is a prime example of that failing.

Out of curiosity which Latina writer would you up on this title if you could redo it?

Quote Originally Posted by Br_Havoc View Post
    Reason I said Ewing is due to him already having a good understanding of the character and showing it Ultimates. So he would be my first choice to nail down America's voice. Then again I don't subscribe to the idea that minority characters can only be well written by writers similar to them, Sometimes it can add a new voice and work well then others like this book is a prime example of that failing.

Out of curiosity which Latina writer would you up on this title if you could redo it?
    Unfortunately, the only Latina comic writers I've encountered have been in anthologies, and I never remember the names of the people in anthologies, and I don't feel like looking them up right now. But they're out there, they're talented, they're hungry, and Marvel should be making an effort to look for them. Here's a list of Latinx comic writers, and I'm betting there are other lists out there. An editor could have put out a call on Twitter for some names of some Latina comic writers, and they would have been flooded with suggestions.

In terms of wanting a Latina writer, it's partly about increasing authenticity, partly about just promoting diversity on the creative side. I want more diverse writers telling diverse stories, because it gives readers something new.

BANNED

A better issue than the previous two, but the pacing is so frantic.

I just don't think Gabby has a sense of time, as a story-teller. I noticed this weird/quick pacing in her novel, where I didn't really get a sense of how long the character had been in the places her story took her. So I'm not sure it's an issue strictly related to writing comics.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I was not completely clear on the plot to be honest but I think the issue had big emotional impact and, for some reason, reached me on that level. I really liked it. Part of the problem is the same with any long standing character that I am new to, there is too much back story that I am supposed to be aware of. But the writing of her feelings seemed very human and touching.