Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Ares' Official Rebirth Design?

From Liam Sharp's Twitter page:

Been dying to show this shot from page 01, #23! @DCComics have said I can share a few details from the first 5pgs!

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Isn't that similar to how he looked on the cover of the Rebirth issue? So we'd already had a glimpse of Ares' true design .

Nice.

Very Perez esque.

BANNED

Isn't that basically the movie design?

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Nice.

Very Perez esque.
    Compared to Deimos and Phobos who were pretty much straight-up Perez .

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Isn't that basically the movie design?
    The helmets are similar but I don't think the movie version has the cape.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't that similar to how he looked on the cover of the Rebirth issue? So we'd already had a glimpse of Ares' true design .

Yes, but after seeing a different version in Year One I thought this merited posting.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ooh, me likey.

Sharp's designs for Ares and Cheetah are the best since Perez's. I'd love to see his designs for Circe.

Hrrrmmmm...he don' loog lige no Dard Vader ribov, no morng.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Clark & Diana Whata Team! Super-Wonder's Avatar

Looks fantastic!
    Wonderfully Superb

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Ooh, me likey.

Sharp's designs for Ares and Cheetah are the best since Perez's. I'd love to see his designs for Circe.
    Now that I think about it, he's done every modern take on Dian's villains except Circe by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now that I think about it, he's done every modern take on Dian's villains except Circe by this point.
    I'm actually glad he didn't get to do Circe, because I think he'd just give us more of the same - slutty, tired, harem-gear Circe - and we'd never've gotten the cool, worldly, Whovian Circe we have now. Maybe, that sounds unfairly pessimistic, but, Liam's Frazetta-styled work on the title just didn't promise anything new for Circe, and I think Circe needed exactly what Nicola gave her...new. On a side-note, his Gigeresque, 'Heavy Metal' Doctor Cyber was a nice departure from all of that and makes me think his Circe might have been something interesting.

I'd love to see Liam's Giganta and Silver Swan, though.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-12-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Retired

As Ares is the god of war, but Hades is the god of the underworld, does Ares have to pay a licensing fee to Hades for all the death imagery?

BANNED

While it does look very nice indeed... from a design perspective is is also utterly generic. Like ask someone to draw to draw Ares, God of War, and 9/10 times its going to be something like this.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    While it does look very nice indeed... from a design perspective is is also utterly generic. Like ask someone to draw to draw Ares, God of War, and 9/10 times its going to be something like this.
    I forget if this was done at one time in the WW comics, but I would do all the Olympians, not just Ares, in the style of black-figure Greek pottery. All the gods would appear inky black, with line work in red.