Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default New 52: Future's end #0 Preview

I read Kirby's OMAC just a while ago, and I found it to be a bit scary (I'm not a fan of cyborgs mkaay). The OMAC in Future's end doesn't seem to be any different, almost a bit depressing. And while I think it's cool that DC is exploring the weekly format, I hope there's more than just darkness down the road. Either way, reading it or not, I'll keep my eyes on it since I really like the writing of Azzarello and Lemire.

Here's a preview for the Free comic book day issue. Got Wondy in it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=21437

A here are two interviews about New 52: Future's end.

Comicvine interview. Mostly Dan Jurgens talking. The little Azzarello says is about how dark it is, perhaps even being too dark.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_JSqHns1QU

PopCultureNetwork. Dan talks Booster Gold, how they'v planned the 47 issues. Azzarello talks how things came about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4kY212rhg

Interesting in the PopCultureNetwork interview that Azzarello says he helped Dan DiDio with the 5 years later and Future's end stuff. Perhaps Azzarello will be helming Wonder Woman's 5 years later issue?
    Last edited by borntohula; 05-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Here's a preview for the Free comic book day issue. Got Wondy in it.
    I think you mean "Got Wondy's destroyed and mutilated corpse in it. Not to mention the supposedly heroic Frankenstein using Black Canary's severed HEAD as a weapon."

Yup. I am going to be vigorously ignoring this story.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

47 issues would be 4 years, I suppose. And Booster Gold? Last time we saw him was when he was wondering if the mistake he was supposed to correct was a certain relationship.

I really don't like seeing heroes die and become mutilated.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Amazing Member

/shrug. Seems cool. Honestly the whole black canary thing made me chuckle in how silly it was. Her face looked young so she must die pretty early on. Maybe along with Green Arrow? Its a 5 yr timeskip so maybe they've actually met during that time. Who knows.

And the whole Earth 2 vs Prime Earth storyline is also interesting to me. Not to mention seeing how Brother Eye takes control of everything.

"Eye" can't wait. *ba-dum bish!*

Incredible Member

As the Omac-influenced all seem super-robotic, I'm guess Wondy isn't really destroyed - that it's one of those "Destroy the shell and I shall only rebuild" things. Things for Canary, on the other hand, look grim.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I think you mean "Got Wondy's destroyed and mutilated corpse in it. Not to mention the supposedly heroic Frankenstein using Black Canary's severed HEAD as a weapon."

Yup. I am going to be vigorously ignoring this story.
    I'm not sure how the OMAC/Big brother thing works but I find cyborg stuff is quite icky. Especially the borg-kind.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    47 issues would be 4 years, I suppose. And Booster Gold? Last time we saw him was when he was wondering if the mistake he was supposed to correct was a certain relationship.
    Nah, one issue each week till March 2015. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52308

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I really don't like seeing heroes die and become mutilated.
    It's stuff like this that keeps me a former DC fan.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Perhaps Azzarello will be helming Wonder Woman's 5 years later issue?
    I wouldn't bet on it--but it could be. Maybe the issue is more related to Azz's WW run than it sounds. For example, maybe Cassandra, who seems to have been out for generalized vengenace against the world for her troubled youth, kills Nemesis, goddess of revenge, and takes on her role and name--perhaps to take revenge on the First Born, who, let's say, survives his defeat at the hands of Wonder Woman and goes off to skulk in the ether for a while at the end of the run, but has come back by the time Cassandra becomes Nemesis. And then Nemesis (Cassandra) and Wonder Woman, despite having become allies against the First Born (I'm guessing), butt heads more and more during the war between prime Earth and Earth 2 int he five-year gap, as Wonder Woman is trying to take the motive of revenge out of war and Nemesis is trying to put more of it in. It would make sense, to me, for Cassandra to be not only Nemesis with a capital "N" but also Wonder Woman's particular nemesis: they're opposite numbers in some ways, with Cassnadra leading by domination as opposed to Wonder Woman leading by inspiration and "loving submission," and with Cassandra having killed her mother as opposed to Diana (by then) having saved her mother or succeeded and honored her.

And what if the "threat to time" predicted by Highfather amounts to the end of all futures (aka, Futures End)? "The threat to time begins with the last of your line at the hand of a new god," Orion said; so, maybe during the five year gap Cassandra/Nemesis (a "new god") kills Zeke, and this leads to a war between War and Vengeance that threatens all time five years from now? And while this war will likely be cut short in Wonder Woman: Future's End, maybe it'll far enough to cause some consequence that carries over into the weekly and eventually earns that book its title, "futures end."

It's pure and utter speculation, of course, but now I kind of want Azzarello to write Wonder Woman: Futures End.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-02-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    As the Omac-influenced all seem super-robotic, I'm guess Wondy isn't really destroyed - that it's one of those "Destroy the shell and I shall only rebuild" things.
    Um. How is she NOT destroyed? Her body is a mutilated ruin. She's speaking with a machine voice, praising Brother Eye. She's attacking former friends and teammates with the intent to turn THEM into cyborg zombie-slaves as well.

Doesn't look like ANYTHING of Diana remains in that husk.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Um. How is she NOT destroyed? Her body is a mutilated ruin. She's speaking with a machine voice, praising Brother Eye. She's attacking former friends and teammates with the intent to turn THEM into cyborg zombie-slaves as well.

Doesn't look like ANYTHING of Diana remains in that husk.
    I think he meant the husk. In that the husk hasn't been destroyed and thus Brother Eye will probably rebuild it. Heh maybe we'll have a terminator thing goin on and Brother Eye will send some dudes back in time. Probably not but who knows?

And wow I didn't think I'd be the minority here. I just love stories like this. Things like Ultron, Cybermen, the Borg, and the Reapers are some of my favorite antagonists. Faceless oppressors trying to bring order to the universe by taking the idea of unity far too literally. And they're incredibly easy to bring back from the 'dead'. "Hahaha! Fools! You only destroyed Ultron 5! I am Ultron 6!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRhon View Post
    I think he meant the husk. In that the husk hasn't been destroyed and thus Brother Eye will probably rebuild it. Heh maybe we'll have a terminator thing goin on and Brother Eye will send some dudes back in time. Probably not but who knows?
    Ah!

If that's the case then sure. When I first used the word "destroyed" I was just referring to the fact that in this timeline, Diana is dead and her corpse has been mutilated and desecrated. It's a mockery of her existence. Not that I actually thought that Flash punching her a million times meant we won't be seeing her for the rest of the story. I'm sure it (not "she") will pop up again to further mock Wonder Woman.

And wow I didn't think I'd be the minority here. I just love stories like this. Things like Ultron, Cybermen, the Borg, and the Reapers are some of my favorite antagonists. Faceless oppressors trying to bring order to the universe by taking the idea of unity far too literally. And they're incredibly easy to bring back from the 'dead'. "Hahaha! Fools! You only destroyed Ultron 5! I am Ultron 6!"
    Me? I'm just sick and tired of "All is lost" storylines. I know that this is temporary. I know that the whole idea of this storyline is to PREVENT this future from happening. But I'm just kinda burned out on this kinda crap since DC and Marvel do stories like this all the time.

I also like antagonists like the Borg and whatnot. But show me a story where the Borg have already basically won and all my heroes are dead and I only have like THREE people left to cheer for, only one of whom I actually care about (Flash,) and it's hard for me to care very much about this story.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    It's stuff like this that keeps me a former DC fan.
    It's not a DC only thing though. I hate Marvel's Zombie/Deadpool kills stuff the Marvel Universe more. That crap is worse.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Not liking the preview, so I'll pass for now. I'll re-examine in the future.

Stupid preview. It's Batman Beyond in the past trying to stop all that from happening, so I doubt we'll see any more of that future.