View Poll Results: Is Superman a badass in your eyes.

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 65.88%
  • No

29 34.12%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

No, Superman isn't Badass has some connotations of rule breaking or trouble making. Superman has moments where you can say that thing he was badass but the character himself not really Superman is a little corny,cheesy and old fashion at times. The word Badass is almost interchangeable with Rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    No, Superman isn't Badass has some connotations of rule breaking or trouble making. Superman has moments where you can say that thing he was badass but the character himself not really Superman is a little corny,cheesy and old fashion at times. The word Badass is almost interchangeable with Rebel.

How is Superman corny and cheesy?

Are you saying being old fashioned is a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

Guess you missed the part when Killerbee said "a little" and "at times"

If you've never seen or read Clark Kent being portrayed as a bit corny and cheesy then I guess you got a lot of reading to do...

Lois- “They say it’s all downhill after the first kiss.”
    Superman- “I think that only applies if you’re kissing a human.” - Man of Steel

Sometimes.. I see him like that.

No being honest, genuine, loyal, a little old fashion, a little corny and cheesy is fine that is Superman. Where in my post did I say it was bad thing or it was even hinted it was bad?

For me a 'badass' means a person who can kick all kinds of ass.

That's why Supes is a badass, because he could rule or destroy the world if he wanted. Thankfully, he is a very kind and loving guy, so he doesn't. Instead, he protect us.
    Do the people saying this forget that not only does Superman has no less than three notable weaknesses that have been exploited numerous times but also exists in a universe with other superheroes and villains that equal or surpass him in power?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

By that logic you'd have to suggest that he'd be done in even as a hero by now. Those factors have never been a guaranteed way to stop him and on the chance that they'll work, much of their success would be owed to him switching sides as opposed to setting out with that ambition. The only "year one" where he's not capable is Action volume two, and that's assuming that he wouldn't spend his weaker years planning and recruiting. No matter what he chooses people will obviously flock to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Guess you missed the part when Killerbee said "a little" and "at times"

If you've never seen or read Clark Kent being portrayed as a bit corny and cheesy then I guess you got a lot of reading to do...

Lois- “They say it’s all downhill after the first kiss.”
    Superman- “I think that only applies if you’re kissing a human.” - Man of Steel
    I don't see that scene as cheesy or corny. I see it as playful and romantic.

And yes, the character has been a little corny at times like in Chris Reeve movies, but it was the 70s. And also the Tyler Superman in the CW, for instance.

No being honest, genuine, loyal, a little old fashion, a little corny and cheesy is fine that is Superman. Where in my post did I say it was bad thing or it was even hinted it was bad?
    That's why I was asking. Wasn't sure what you meant. Also, I don't consider being loyal or honest something of the past. I think those are qualities all people should have no matter the time or year. It's the gold standard of a wholesome person like Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Do the people saying this forget that not only does Superman has no less than three notable weaknesses that have been exploited numerous times but also exists in a universe with other superheroes and villains that equal or surpass him in power?
    People say this because we believe Superman is always holding back due to his upbringing by the Kents on Earth. A Superman unleashed and unhinged could be able to do so much damage when he doesn't care about others at all. That's a theory.

I don't see that scene as cheesy or corny. I see it as playful and romantic.

And yes, the character has been a little corny at times like in Chris Reeve movies, but it was the 70s. And also the Tyler Superman in the CW, for instance.

That's why I was asking. Wasn't sure what you meant. Also, I don't consider being loyal or honest something of the past. I think those are qualities all people should have no matter the time or year. It's the gold standard of a wholesome person like Clark.

People say this because we believe Superman is always holding back due to his upbringing by the Kents on Earth. A Superman unleashed and unhinged could be able to do so much damage when he doesn't care about others at all. That's a theory.
    Most superheroes hold back. It isn't a trait unique to Superman.

In the instances where we've seen Superman take over the world, he had help from other superheroes.

Most superheroes hold back. It isn't a trait unique to Superman.

In the instances where we've seen Superman take over the world, he had help from other superheroes.

Who stopped Doomsday? Even Diana told him to not hold back or everyone would be dead in the Death of Superman animated movie.

Who fights Darkseid?

According to Batman in BvS, Superman could burn the whole place down if he wanted and noone would be able to stop him. It is clearly implied in the movies that Superman is the strongest being in the world. But he has learned to hold back so much because he grew up among humans.

Who stopped Doomsday? Even Diana told him to not hold back or everyone would be dead in the Death of Superman animated movie.

Who fights Darkseid?

According to Batman in BvS, Superman could burn the whole place down if he wanted and noone would be able to stop him. It is clearly implied in the movies that Superman is the strongest being in the world. But he has learned to hold back so much because he grew up among humans.
    Everybody fights Darkseid.

And yet Batman came within a hairs death of killing Superman in BvS. Oh and Superman
    died in that film.

Batman had kryptonite. Superman could obviously kill him if he really wanted without even touching him. But Superman is not a killer.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That was surprisingly lost on a lot of people, that Superman chose to show mercy to Batman in BvS absolutely no matter what. Even aside from sparing his life, because I'm sure a lot of people who would come across Batman in that first encounter would subdue him and publicly out him so that it's impossible for him to pick up the pieces. Superman just tells him to go home. I think that way is more "badass" in the sense that he finds success in shouldering the pain of someone who wishes to harm him instead of perpetuating the cycle of destruction.

Batman had kryptonite. Superman could obviously kill him if he really wanted without even touching him. But Superman is not a killer.
    Kryptonite is a ridiculously common substance in the DCU, with everyone from Brainiac to common bank robbers having access to it. Add in paranoid individuals like Batman, Lex Luthor and Amanda Waller, superheroes who have no problem with lethal force and are just as capable of skinny lots of damage as Superman and his world domination campaign would end before it really begins.

As I said, the only versions of Superman that succeeded in taking over the world had massive forces backing them up. Even in the DCEU, it wasn't Superman himself that was a threat, it was a Superman controlled by Darkseid and backed by the forces of Apokolips.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The stories that mention that Superman could rule the planet if he wanted to mostly make sense only in his self contained universe. He's still the singular individual who probably could manage it, but he would be opposed and not necessarily succeed.

Superman is the exaggerated, metaphorical representation of the working man spirit against the establishment. He was the king of rule breaking back in his day.

None of those things preclude someone from being badass. It actually makes them more badass, because they are less tedious than the people who know they are badass and act all tough and angsty to "prove" it.

Superman should be experienced enough that those weaknesses are not guaranteed wins. Waving Kryptonite or a magic wand in his face isn't an automatic victory. Batman, Lex and Waller would be screwed no matter how much Kryptonite they had, and he should be smart enough to know they have it. Because he's met them, so why wouldn't he? He needs to get hit with the stupid stick for them to have an advantage.

As for superheroes who have surpassed him, that's really only the Spectre, and he's has evolved into something far bigger than the superhero community. As for the rest, that usually relies on reboots, retcons, continuities merging or power level fluctuations to be true, and those don't always stick. For every comic that says there is a hero close to higher than Superman, there will be 10 more than don't back that up. And there is public perception of him being the strongest individual, and that outweighs some random comics only nerds have read.