View Poll Results: Is Superman a badass in your eyes.

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 65.88%
  • No

29 34.12%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Do you see Superman as a badass?

I guess I incorrectly assumed there was something of a consensus on things such as this but I guess like all things with the Superman fanbase there is no general consensus.

Personally I do but something I've seen a lot of is "No, because he isn't Batman". What the hell does that even mean?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I voted yes. But it depends a lot of what you consider as being a Badass.

To be Superman he needs to be a badass. And by badass I mean assertive. Superman is no one's doormat.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

BANNED

It depends on what constitutes as being a "badass".

I don't think of Superman as a baddass, but I'm sure there are character moments I like, that people would consider as badass.

Superman, no.

But after reading Superman #22, Lois Lane definitely is!

Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-11-2017 at 07:15 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

As a default setting? No. "Charming" would be more what I'd describe as his default. However it'd be ridiculous to pigeonhole him as just charming.

I think Superman can do things that one would describe as "badass." Basically any hero is capable of such a thing. But then there's also the fact that being "badass" is subjective. One person's "badass" is another person's try-hard.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Yes. Not because most modern writers portray Supes as a guy who solves all of his problems with his fist. But because of the yesteryear Supes, who was journalist, super scientist, warrior and crusader for justice. Never get tired of "f*ck you, I'm Superman" moments.

JLA Classified: New Maps of Hell, by Warren Ellis and Jackson Guice

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Personally I do but something I've seen a lot of is "No, because he isn't Batman". What the hell does that even mean?
    Badass is attitude, not ability.. Batman has it. Superman doesn't (usually).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's not really a description I use as a compliment. If I look at the definition of "tough, uncompromising, and intimidating " I think of the Punisher, Mongul, Shadow, Namor, etc. Not even Wolverine or Batman. Just ruthlessly tough guys who don't blink.

That, to me, isn't Superman. But by no means do I think that defines being masculine or formidable. I think being well rounded is more of a manly thing, and Superman is really second to none that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Yes. Not because most modern writers portray Supes as a guy who solves all of his problems with his fist. But because of the yesteryear Supes, who was journalist, super scientist, warrior and crusader for justice. Never get tired of "f*ck you, I'm Superman" moments.

JLA Classified: New Maps of Hell, by Warren Ellis and Jackson Guice
    I really want to see Warren Ellis write a Superman book.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 05-12-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Of course he is! Superman doesn't stop! Powers or not, pain or not, Superman is going to push through and be Super. He's way more bad ass than batman in my opinion. That time when the Joker had Mxyzptlk's powers and killed Batman every night and Superman took on the memories of all of that anguish because batman's psyche was broken because of the torture says it all for me. Superman=BADASS!

Astonishing Member

I'm of a similar mind to Kuwagaton. Bad-ass to me has a bit of a negative connotation. It's a guy who is over-the-top macho. It's batman convincingly dangling a crook over a ledge and the crook knowing Batman will drop him. It's classic JLI Guy Gardner minus the "one-punch meme".

So Superman is powerful and impressive, but only if really pushed does he cross the line to being scary and bad-ass. Superman is the reassuring guy rescuing you from the monster. The badass hero is the one who makes you wonder if you weren't better off with the monster ( at least until your adrenaline wears off).

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I voted yes, but there are caveats.

As others have said, it really depends on what your definition of "badass" is. In my opinion, Supeman can absolutely be a badass guy who takes crap from no one and will use his godlike power to brutally crush all opposition if the situation calls for it. I don't, however, think that this is Superman's default setting. He can go there when he needs to, but at his heart Superman is a gentle soul who would prefer to live in a world where he never needs to throw a punch at another living creature.

He'll talk if he thinks talking will be effective. He'll stand there and take a beating, never striking back, if he thinks that's the best way to get his message across. He'll even negotiate or make concessions if he believes that's the right answer to a given situation. If he believes that overwhelming force is the only viable option? He brings it. Big time.

To me, "Badass" is Superman's final measure when all other options have failed or are simply not viable.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I went with 'yes' but I have a very broad and inclusive idea of the word 'badass' in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's not really a description I use as a compliment. If I look at the definition of "tough, uncompromising, and intimidating " I think of the Punisher, Mongul, Shadow, Namor, etc. Not even Wolverine or Batman. Just ruthlessly tough guys who don't blink.

That, to me, isn't Superman. But by no means do I think that defines being masculine or formidable. I think being well rounded is more of a manly thing, and Superman is really second to none that way.
    This. Superman is awesome... the pinnacle of the perfect hero, but I don't see him needing that title to BE that.