View Poll Results: Is Superman a badass in your eyes.

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 65.88%
  • No

29 34.12%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Superman's Wyatt Earp (or at least, the ideal that grew in legend if not reality). The confidant lawman you just do not cross. If that is badass to you, then yeah, he is.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Not really no the guy is to polished to be edgy and that is like a main pillar of being a badass

Let me reword this: however you define "badass," as long as you don't make Superman look indecisive and ineffectual, he can be whatever you want him to be.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 05-12-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Voted yes.

There's being a badass, and then there's being a try-hard testosterone junkie douche donut like Batman (often) or Punisher.

Superman is confident, relentless, and stands his ground in the face of any and all adversity. He's got nothing to prove to anyone and is at ease with who and what he is, flaws and all.

Yeah, he's not a cowboy growling about how tough he is and how he's a hardcore mutha, but that, to me, isn't being a badass, its being a poser trying like hell to hide inner weakness behind a screen of the "tough guy act."

Superman's a true badass in that he doesnt need that noise. You dont think he's fashionable enough or violent enough or whatever? Superman doesnt give a damn.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I guess I incorrectly assumed there was something of a consensus on things such as this but I guess like all things with the Superman fanbase there is no general consensus.

Personally I do but something I've seen a lot of is "No, because he isn't Batman". What the hell does that even mean?
    I think it depends on what is meant by badass. The word is thrown about so often I am uncertain what is meant when I see or hear it. Sooooooooooo what do you mean when you say "badass"?

Maybe it'd be cool if we could cite specific badass and non-badass examples. I'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I really want to see Warren Ellis write a Superman book.
    That he has not had a substantial run on Supes is one of the greatest tragedies in the medium

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm really excited for this event, it looks like is going to be really cool. That said, is a Batman centric event, written by Scott Snyder, so I don't expect to see much from Superman, or the whole League.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Maybe it'd be cool if we could cite specific badass and non-badass examples. I'd be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There's being a badass, and then there's being a try-hard testosterone junkie douche donut like Batman (often) or Punisher.
    Superman's a true badass in that he doesnt need that noise. You dont think he's fashionable enough or violent enough or whatever? Superman doesnt give a damn.
    Well, I think we have to kinda laugh at those comic scenes where he's shaded in darkness, scowling as his eyes glow. He doesn't really need that. But at the same time, I have to call bull on scenes like Waid did, where a criminal laughs about how Superman isn't intimidating when not putting on that act. It's highly unlikely some regular guy would just write off Superman as a threat.

I liked the Wolfman scene where his interrogation of a thug seemed playful. Or where he set the guy's clothes on fire knowing that he could stop it before there was any harm.

But in fairness to other characters, Punisher and Shadow are actually two of my favorite characters right under Superman. They're like Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh in that that's really them. They have a steely, fanatical grit that characters like Superman or Batman couldn't have if they wanted. But although it sets them apart, it doesn't make them stronger or better men. In fact, it's rather indulgent. Superman has a very mature competence in place of that. He's not afraid to be "big blue" because he can bring people closer to him and still get business done as it needs to be done.

He can be, luckily for most, he doesn't often feel the need.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Every single thing about Superman is "badass".

Is Superman badass? Superman, who can change the course of mighty rivers and bend steel in his bare hands? Superman, who can take a bullet to the eyeball without flinching? Superman, who faces off against gods six times before breakfast?

Listen, you can argue the semantics of the term all that you want. Personally, I say that if you think that being a badass means that you never smile and won't take time to save kittens from trees though, you're dead wrong.

Because Superman is the baddest motherf*cker humanity has ever envisioned as a species.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Well, I think we have to kinda laugh at those comic scenes where he's shaded in darkness, scowling as his eyes glow. He doesn't really need that.
    No, he doesnt need that sort of thing. But I admit to having a fondness for seeing it once in a while. Manchester Black tricks Clark into thinking his family is dead? Darkseid just nuked Kara off the face of the earth? Lex just shot Jimmy Olsen? Toyman just murdered (and probably worse) Cat Grant's son? Moments like that deserve the red-eyed angry god. But those moments should be a "once every 18 months if not longer" sort of thing.

But I dont feel its something you need. Just something I personally like seeing now and then. Ya'll know, I like a bit of a rough edge on my Superman.

But at the same time, I have to call bull on scenes like Waid did, where a criminal laughs about how Superman isn't intimidating when not putting on that act. It's highly unlikely some regular guy would just write off Superman as a threat.
    I truly dislike that characterization. Honestly, I think criminals should be a little afraid of Superman. Not really scared of being hurt physically, but...just think about it from a mugger's point of view. This guy never stops. He's everywhere, he stops for everything; no matter how small time you are or what corner of the world you're in, Superman might make the time for you one day. It'll be a gust of wind and color and you're suddenly tied up with a street sign, bruised all over from the wind and speed and impossibly strong hands that weren't "completely" gentle. It's gotta be eerie. Imagine the stories and rumors and theories criminals would think up. We readers know the truth, but to the average person in the DCU? Superman is an omnipotent force of nature no one really knows anything about. The online discussions must be ridiculous. Now I want to see a scene where Lois and Clark and Jon read message board theories about Superman.

Anyway, obviously Im with Flash Gordon on this one; everything about Superman is badass. Its just not a "in your face" action-movie badass.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Because Superman is the baddest motherf*cker humanity has ever envisioned as a species.
    You win the thread.

~ Black Panther.