View Poll Results: Is Superman a badass in your eyes.

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 65.88%
  • No

29 34.12%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Seems pretty traditionally badass to me.

Smacking around someone who doesn't have a prayer against you isn't badass. And I say the same thing anytime Batman dangles a guy over a building and threatens to drop him. Let's see him try this on someone like Darkseid and see if he's still cool headed about it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

But... he's walked up and smacked Darkseid on several occasions. He has no reluctance in fighting very powerful beings. Superman walked right up to the Spectre and struck him too, despite being out of his league. He frequently battles magic beings who negate his strength, a dozen other Kryptonians, Daxamites like Dev Em, stronger aliens like Vartox and Wraith, and takes on nearly omnipotent beings like Vyn and Dominus. In a crossover he even knocked out Thor.

And as far as I know, he's still the only major hero to plant their feet and literally fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I mean like Batman's attitude his whole persona is one of badassery. He is the goddamn batman.
    It's not about power levels for me. Batman seems to have brasser balls than Superman I don't want to put Supes down or make him appear lesser because that is not the case at all.

Clark is just too nice and too powerful to be a badass to me. Every time Bruce stands up to Clark he is being badass since he is taking on a much more powerful being. He constantly punches above his weight class and he has way more edge than Clark.

I don't think it's the reality of the DCU that bends it's people. People prefer one over the other therefore they give one more leeway. People are bemoaning Clark being bad in injustice. Bruce was a douche in BvS and yet everyone cheered that's not on DC that is on the public.
    Everyone cheered? Did you see these forums after the film came out?

And Bruce was at worst misguided in BvS. he never killed any innocents and was stopped from completely going over the edge. Clark got no such courtesy. Never mind how evil Superman stories are way more common than evil Batman stories.

And letting character's popularity dictate how the narrative treats them is not smart writing. it's basically fanfic except you;re being paid for it.

BANNED

What the hell does fanfc bias mean?
    But yes it's a bias and one that Superman has to deal with. It's not intentional that's just how it is. However that's not why superman isn't badass and Batman is. Supes is the opposite of badass. He is all powerful much more powerful than Batman but he still isn't badass.
    But it's still hypocritical when fanboys complain about Superman being OP, but totally ok with Batman beating everyone because "he human" or some dumb crap like that.

I mean like Batman's attitude his whole persona is one of badassery. He is the goddamn batman.
    Also it's hard to take fans seriously when they reference their favorite as "the goddamn batman".

That Frank Miller crap is why people are getting sick of him.
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 05-27-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But... he's walked up and smacked Darkseid on several occasions. He has no reluctance in fighting very powerful beings. Superman walked right up to the Spectre and struck him too, despite being out of his league. He frequently battles magic beings who negate his strength, a dozen other Kryptonians, Daxamites like Dev Em, stronger aliens like Vartox and Wraith, and takes on nearly omnipotent beings like Vyn and Dominus. In a crossover he even knocked out Thor.

And as far as I know, he's still the only major hero to plant their feet and literally fight to the death.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Smacking around someone who doesn't have a prayer against you isn't badass. And I say the same thing anytime Batman dangles a guy over a building and threatens to drop him. Let's see him try this on someone like Darkseid and see if he's still cool headed about it.
    Weaker than him, Stronger than him. Clark never really seemed to care imo.

Did the same thing with Mongul where he was clearly outclassed but fought anyways.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

This thread kind of serves as a reminder of how unspecific, and therefore useless, the word "badass" is.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

Yep. If that ain't badass, then I don't know what is!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Superman is the original "badass."
    Some of the arguments going are very petty, but typical. Just list out the things he's capable of doing in your head. I got to about 5 things and stopped.

Then again, maybe some people feel a character like Lobo is more badass than Superman. But that's just the semantics of people's own definitions…
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 05-27-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    But it's still hypocritical when fanboys complain about Superman being OP, but totally ok with Batman beating everyone because "he human" or some dumb crap like that.

Also it's hard to take fans seriously when they reference their favorite as "the goddamn batman".

That Frank Miller crap is why people are getting sick of him.
    I'm going to totally ignore everything you say simply based on the fact that you use the term fanboy in a derogatory manner. Everybody on this site is a fan and not all fans think Superman is OP or Batman is the Goddamn Batman. Come back when you stop labelling people and want talk like a mature adult.
    And 2 because I already talked about that double standard a few posts before.

That goddamn Batman stuff might be a meme that originated from Miller but it's something that other writers have taped into.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 05-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's not fighting to the death, that's just being angry while someone murders you

Everyone cheered? Did you see these forums after the film came out?

And Bruce was at worst misguided in BvS. he never killed any innocents and was stopped from completely going over the edge. Clark got no such courtesy. Never mind how evil Superman stories are way more common than evil Batman stories.

And letting character's popularity dictate how the narrative treats them is not smart writing. it's basically fanfic except you;re being paid for it.
    Yes those posts are still here and the comments are still on youtube and everywhere Affleck was the bomb and along with Gadot the two things that were loved by the masses.

Sure he wasn't going around killing but until you have such a story I will have to use this as comparison since it's what we have.

What are you on about? nobody is saying anything about letting a character's popularity dictate how the narrative treats them. If you want to talk about that start a new thread mate.
    This thread is about whether we see Superman as a badass I don't.

Having given this some more thought, if Superman is the ultimate incarnation of "white privilege," then Nolan's Batman is pretty high up on the list, too.

adjective, Also, badassed. 1. (of a person) difficult to deal with; mean-tempered; touchy. 2. distinctively tough or powerful; so exceptional as to be intimidating.
    I guess Supes is and isn't badass.

Yes those posts are still here and the comments are still on youtube and everywhere Affleck was the bomb and along with Gadot the two things that were loved by the masses.
    Affleck, like many things in the movie was highly divisive. He also got a Razzie nomination, though that might depend on how seriously you take the Razzies.

Sure he wasn't going around killing
    Yes he was. He just wasn’t killing innocent people.

but until you have such a story I will have to use this as comparison since it's what we have.
    Still doesn’t make it the equivalent.

What are you on about? nobody is saying anything about letting a character's popularity dictate how the narrative treats them.
    Oh so what do you call this post by you?

I don't think it's the reality of the DCU that bends it's people. People prefer one over the other therefore they give one more leeway.