View Poll Results: Is Superman a badass in your eyes.

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 65.88%
  • No

29 34.12%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I'm going to totally ignore everything you say simply based on the fact that you use the term fanboy in a derogatory manner. Everybody on this site is a fan and not all fans think Superman is OP or Batman is the Goddamn Batman. Come back when you stop labelling people and want talk like a mature adult.
    And 2 because I already talked about that double standard a few posts before.

That goddamn Batman stuff might be a meme that originated from Miller but it's something that other writers have taped into.
    Don't call him the "goddamn batman" and I won't use the term fanboy.

The double standard is still bullshit no matter how you justify it. And just because Miller did it does not mean all writers have to portray Batman in that matter, nor does it make it ok.

So to answer the OP's question, yes I do see him as a "badass" but not in the stereotypical gun toting angsty way.
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 05-27-2017 at 01:17 PM.

The Batman double standard is very much an actual thing. He's the guy who gets praised as "the most human of all DC superheroes" but then everyone expects and wants to write him as an one-man army who can murder stomp all of fiction ever and the second he isn't murder stomping everything from Odysseus to whatever is the latest thing in entertainment, you're doing him wrong.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post

The double standard is still bullshit no matter how you justify it. And just because Miller did it does not mean all writers have to portray Batman in that matter, nor does it make it ok.

So to answer the OP's question, yes I do see him as a "badass" but not in the stereotypical gun toting angsty way.
    I never called him the Goddamn batman I said that he is and according to Miller he is take it however you want I really don't care and You really must learn to read no one said all writers do it and no one is justifying anything. There is a double standard fans just have to learn to deal with.

You really must try to expand your vocabulary we are all fanboys here
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 05-27-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Let's stay on topic

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Affleck, like many things in the movie was highly divisive. He also got a Razzie nomination, though that might depend on how seriously you take the Razzies.

Yes he was. He just wasn’t killing innocent people.

Still doesn’t make it the equivalent.

Oh so what do you call this post by you?
    No I don't

I don't care who he was killing all i know is he was a douche and still and the performance was loved.
    Frankly i don't care it''s what there is so that's all i have to compare Injustice Supes to.

Exactly what it means it isn't the reality of the DCU that bends just people having double standards that has jack to do with letting a character's popularity dictate how the narrative treats them.

Nothing in what i said insinuates that writers or the narrative should treat characters one way or another.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

How about we stay on topic and avoid labels altogether?

BANNED

I never called him the Goddamn batman I said that he is and according to Miller he is take it however you want I really don't care and You really must learn to read no one said all writers do it and no one is justifying anything. There is a double standard fans just have to learn to deal with.

You really must try to expand your vocabulary we are all fanboys here
    No we shouldn't deal with it, and to think that we should is part of the double standard you want to enforce. Why should one character come on top all the time? Especially when it does more harm than good to the entire DC brand?

Having one hero constantly beat everyone because "preptime" or he's human" is the most annoying thing to happen to DC. If the only way to show how awesome a character is by repetitive stories of him beating up his fellow heroes followed by that character brag how better he is than everyone else, then that character is nothing more than a bland vanilla egotistical mary sue. And crap like this is what turned me away from Batman.

If anything you should deal with the fact that the double standard isn't something to deal with but it should be smashed by a wrecking ball and tossed in nearest blackhole.
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 05-27-2017 at 02:40 PM.

No we shouldn't deal with it, and to think that we should is part of the double standard you want to enforce. Why should one character come on top all the time? Especially when it does more harm than good to the entire DC brand?

Having one hero constantly beat everyone because "preptime" or he's human" is the most fanboy wanking thing ever to happen. If the only way to show how awesome a character is by repetitive stories of him beat his fellow heroes, then that character is nothing more than a bland vanilla egotistical mary sue. And crap like this is what turned me away from Batman.

If anything you should deal with the fact that the double standard isn't something to deal with but it should be smashed by a wrecking ball and tossed in nearest blackhole.
    Then fret. I'm enjoying both character's immensely. I don't care one hoot who beats who So long as I get great stories featuring both then I'm good.

My love for characters isn't dependant on their badassness or lack there of. I love Superman and batman for different reasons and it never bothers me when people say Supes is OP or Batman is OP.

Looking at character feats and who beats who is the boring bit about comics and quite frankly stupid since every character at some point gets beaten. Batman gets his arse handed to him every couple of weeks on Tec doesn't make me like him any less. Supes has been beat by the Joker doesn't make me like him any less

No I don't

I don't care who he was killing all i know is he was a douche and still and the performance was loved.
    Frankly i don't care it''s what there is so that's all i have to compare Injustice Supes to.

Exactly what it means it isn't the reality of the DCU that bends just people having double standards that has jack to do with letting a character's popularity dictate how the narrative treats them.

Nothing in what i said insinuates that writers or the narrative should treat characters one way or another.
    Being a douche and being a villain are not the same thing.

Your logic is that Batman was the hero because he was popular.

Not at all. Sometimes Superman gets so low he becomes a whuss.
    Superman is a character with tons of potential, but he's been stagnated for over 3 decades now.
    The scenes about Jon's emerging powers... Was it really necessary to have Batman come in and show how little Superman actually knows.
    I mean, Superman that has at his disposal the technology in the Fortress, wasn't able to reach the same conclusions Batman reached using Earth technology.

When I look at Superman, I look at a character that's living so below his potential, it becomes insulting to fans and the character itself.
    Almost everything about Superman is simply outdated. The way he operates, his inability to properly prepare himself for any situation tht he may face. Just shows how much he has fallen from being the Man Of Tomorrow, to the Man Of The Past.
    Not only that... His lack of initiative to actually train and improve himself.
    And even if he didn't trained, he could at least wear a suit equipped with kryptonian technology. If Batman can have suits equipped with all sorts of redundancies, then Superman should use the kryptonian sunstone technology, to create suits, prepared for the red solar and kryptonite situations. But he never does that.

Superman could even study kryptonite, and its very isotopes, and for example create serums or out of them. Here's an example... We know that red kryptonite can cause temporary mutations in kryptonian DNA, and that with blue kryptonite (Pre-Flashpoint) that seemingly had no effects in normal kryptonians, had the same effect on Bizarro that green had on Superman, while green on Bizarro made him more powerful.
    So we could have Superman arrive at the conclusion that Blue Kryptonite if energized could increase a kryptonian powers, but only temporarily.
    So he creates a serum or a sunstone crystal infused with the energies of red and blue kryptonite, in such a way that if Superman was to bathe in the energy of the sun at its surface or by sun dipping, and when Superman returned, his powers would've been permanently increased.
    Basically the serum or suntone crystal, create a temporary boost to his kryptonian DNA, making him able to permanently increase his powers and/or even gain new powers.

Another example. Create a sort of helmet or head device, that connected his brain to the Fortress AI systems, and then run mental exercises meant to increase Superman ability to use his super brain in combat, help him simply control his powers better or even develop new one's.

All these things Superman could be shown doing. And these are simple things that any rookie or pro writer pulls when necessary to develop the character. But what we get is the most non-powerful being on the planet.
    Because let's face it. The question isn't even what can take Superman down, but more like what can't bring him down.
    His weaknesses are red sunlight, kryptonite, psychics, and magic. All easily exploitable by anyone that really, REALLY, wanted to kill Superman.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Any character can be killed, but they... aren't. So then they're all badasses, or none of them are if that's the criteria. Does this revolve around power or attitude, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Wri-El View Post
    The scenes about Jon's emerging powers... Was it really necessary to have Batman come in and show how little Superman actually knows.
    The point there is that spot checking gets difficult when you're close to it. Batman, the world's greatest detective, was in denial that the Owls were operating right under his nose in his own city. But go figure, instead of riding the character or creators, people bought that run in droves and it stands as the most popular series the industry has had in many years. There is an underlying complaint that Superman should be more like Batman, but people love Batman unconditionally. How is that a fair complaint? Meanwhile, Superman both is too powerful and a wimp for not using lethal PEDs. That's not even steroids, it's like bath salts.

Superman could even study kryptonite, and its very isotopes, and for example create serums or out of them. Here's an example...
    That's not something the character is written as incapable of working out, that's just some comic book science you just made up. I can understand liking something more when they somehow take your ideas and shove them into actual stories, but it never really works like that so it's also not a fair expectation.
    Superman ability to use his super brain in combat, help him simply control his powers better or even develop new one's.
    Look up torquasm rao and vo.

Not at all. Sometimes Superman gets so low he becomes a whuss.
    Superman is a character with tons of potential, but he's been stagnated for over 3 decades now.
    I mean, Superman that has at his disposal the technology in the Fortress, wasn't able to reach the same conclusions Batman reached using Earth technology.
    Having access to technology and knowing how to use it are two different things. Though I agree Batman wasn’t needed.

Almost everything about Superman is simply outdated. The way he operates, his inability to properly prepare himself for any situation tht he may face. Just shows how much he has fallen from being the Man Of Tomorrow, to the Man Of The Past.
    Not only that... His lack of initiative to actually train and improve himself.
    You just described virtually every superhero not just Superman. Even Batman is more reactionary much of the time these days.

Superman could even study kryptonite, and its very isotopes, and for example create serums or out of them. Here's an example... We know that red kryptonite can cause temporary mutations in kryptonian DNA, and that with blue kryptonite (Pre-Flashpoint) that seemingly had no effects in normal kryptonians, had the same effect on Bizarro that green had on Superman, while green on Bizarro made him more powerful.
    So we could have Superman arrive at the conclusion that Blue Kryptonite if energized could increase a kryptonian powers, but only temporarily.
    So he creates a serum or a sunstone crystal infused with the energies of red and blue kryptonite, in such a way that if Superman was to bathe in the energy of the sun at its surface or by sun dipping, and when Superman returned, his powers would've been permanently increased.
    Basically the serum or suntone crystal, create a temporary boost to his kryptonian DNA, making him able to permanently increase his powers and/or even gain new powers.
    Another example. Create a sort of helmet or head device, that connected his brain to the Fortress AI systems, and then run mental exercises meant to increase Superman ability to use his super brain in combat, help him simply control his powers better or even develop new one's.

This isn’t something he could do so much as something you to do. Just throwing stuff like this into the story is basically fanfic level writing. Unless he is consistently shown the ability to pull this off there is no reason for it to exist in the story.

Because let's face it. The question isn't even what can take Superman down, but more like what can't bring him down.
    His weaknesses are red sunlight, kryptonite, psychics, and magic. All easily exploitable by anyone that really, REALLY, wanted to kill Superman.
    And Batman could be killed with a bullet to the face. Yet Gotham’s most ruthless criminals either forget to aim when he’s around or place him in overly elaborate death traps that he always escapes from.

Being a douche and being a villain are not the same thing.

Your logic is that Batman was the hero because he was popular.
    No my logic is that the double standard is clear.

Also Batman WAS NOT the hero in BvS.

No my logic is that the double standard is clear.

Also Batman WAS NOT the hero in BvS.
    I meant the hero in Injustice not BvS.

Extraordinary Member

When written well, of course Superman is a badass. He tends to be more in line with the Alvin Yorks or Audie Murphys of the badass world, where the bad assery is more subdued when it appears and tends to be only broken out when it's needed. it tends to only be displayed whenever a challenge arises to call for it; sometimes it's a physically equal or superior villain, or one who's mental advantages are surprisingly halted by Superman's cunning and cleverness, or a scenario where Clark has lost his powers.

Golden Age Superman shows his badassery in attitude when he interrogates criminals while running along power lines, and his badassery in action when he beats the powered up Lex Luthor using his brain, or is shown taking on other badguys who have similar powers. Post Crisis Superman has shown determination, physical grit, and combat capability again and again when depowered, has probably the largest record of wins over similarly powered opponents, and was perfectly willing to pull the "throw yourself out of a window to get an interview" maneuver with Supernova. And other versions have also shown their badass credentials, though I can't quite recount many beyond DCEU Supes's clear record.

I will say that sometimes his badassery is better displayed in more sci-fi heavy worlds where he has more constant challenges, and that it requires a writer to actually allow Siperman to struggle and deal with consequences. The more a writer insists that Clark has no real physical threats, the less badass he is.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I meant the hero in Injustice not BvS.
    You completely missed the point of ever thing I was discussing with AquaLantern.