Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default So that's it for the New 52.

With Action #976 now out and the double page spread showcasing his new history, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the New 52 never officially happened now. Or whatever they decide to keep from it will be so superficial that it won't matter. My guess will be they'll just go back to SO for his official origin meaning even the Morrison stuff never happened. The Jor-El and Lara look like that one anyway. I kept hanging my hopes that Trinity #2 was showcasing the beginnings of a new "third way" but I guess that's not going to happen. The reason I supported the New 52 was because I honestly believed that Superman's history was a convoluted mess and he needed a clean break. Now we are back to that, I guess. If this sounds a little bitter it's because I am. I guess I just needed to vent a little bit. Feel free to leave your thoughts on the subject one way or the other. Good, bad, or indifferent.

On the plus side, maybe we'll get the JSA back soon!
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm with you. We are back to convulted bs that plague the Superman line for years. DC will never learn will they? Well I got Invincible but that is ending soon...so Renew Your Vows for me.

Spectacular Member

It's been a mess since the Silver Age. Even Byrne couldn't fix it as everyone wanted Pre-Crisis back even in the late eighties and it all got slowly added back in. To hell with continuity all I ask for is good stories and that can be done with whatever version of Superman happens to be in the main titles. As far as I am concerned it if was ever printed it happened and that is good enough. Keep the great stories coming and I am still in for the long haul!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    With Action #976 now out and the double page spread showcasing his new history, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the New 52 never officially happened now.
    That's not what happened. What do you not understand by two characters merging into one? Yes, pre flashpoint superman's memories dominated the double spread, but that may be because of the fact that he has several years more experience as Superman and would have more memories. Jurgens said in a interview that he wanted to make it clear that it was neither new 52 superman or pre flashpoint superman at the end, but a new character wih a combined history of the two, which we will see over the next two issues.

Yes, if you wanna look between the lines, it's pretty much pre flashpoint Superman. Maybe I am just being naive, but I think that it is going to be clear he will have a lot of the history the new 52 Superman had or else they wouldn't have made it a point to say the two timelines merged and would have went with a different option.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    That's not what happened. What do you not understand by two characters merging into one? Yes, pre flashpoint superman's memories dominated the double spread, but that may be because of the fact that he has several years more experience as Superman and would have more memories. Jurgens said in a interview that he wanted to make it clear that it was neither new 52 superman or pre flashpoint superman at the end, but a new character wih a combined history of the two, which we will see over the next two issues.

Yes, if you wanna look between the lines, it's pretty much pre flashpoint Superman. Maybe I am just being naive, but I think that it is going to be clear he will have a lot of the history the new 52 Superman had or else they wouldn't have made it a point to say the two timelines merged and would have went with a different option.
    I don't know. I saw way more pre-flashpoint material (well more SO stuff) than the new 52. It would have helped in the spread if we saw a young tee shirt Superman leaping around and maybe some imagery of Clark and Diana dating for just a bit. If it did then I would agree you but so far for all intents and purposes this is the pre 52 universe with a new coat of paint.

BANNED

Good that you made this thread.

Yeah, it's over for me. I'll still lurk/post in the SMWW thread and maybe post a few things elsewhere, but that's it. What happened. It's monstruous for me.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...e-666x1024.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...4976592-35.jpg

This Clark was a different man. His life choices, his experiences where different before the Vyndtx tampering.

I know in the end, lamenting what Jurgens and Tomasi did is pathetic, they are only half of the equation. Rucka would be destroying things even if they liked N52 Supes. It's still monstruous and repugnant.

Default My Thoughts on New 52 Superman

I liked N52 Superman himself as a character. He was a neat take, younger brasher but still compassionate and likable. I also liked a handful of stories. But I hated the Wonder Woman romance, and glad it's toast, sorry not sorry. The costume only looked good with certain artists like Jim Lee, otherwise he looked like a crappy action figure. Overall though I am glad we're are back to having an older and experienced Superman who has the rich history and legacy intact.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    I don't know. I saw way more pre-flashpoint material (well more SO stuff) than the new 52. It would have helped in the spread if we saw a young tee shirt Superman leaping around and maybe some imagery of Clark and Diana dating for just a bit. If it did then I would agree you but so far for all intents and purposes this is the pre 52 universe with a new coat of paint.
    No, I definitely agree that this is pretty much pre flashpoint Superman more so than new 52 Superman. I just don't agree with people acting like the new 52 has been erased or never happened. Yes events changed and some stories like the truth crossover were erased, but I do think several stories will have happened.

Like for ex, Greg Pak's Action Comics run will have had to happen for that Superwoman book to still be a thing, because that is where the Lana and Steel romance started. I think they got together after the Doomed crossover? I guess it's possible they met after the death of superman story instead so I could be wrong I guess, but that's what I mean again. A lot of the new 52 bits could be added to the new timeline, without being erased.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Good that you made this thread.

Yeah, it's over for me. I'll still lurk/post in the SMWW thread and maybe post a few things elsewhere, but that's it. What happened. It's monstruous for me.

This Clark was a different man. His life choices, his experiences where different before the Vyndtx tampering.

I know in the end, lamenting what Jurgens and Tomasi did is pathetic, they are only half of the equation. Rucka would be destroying things even if they liked N52 Supes. It's still monstruous and repugnant.
    kinda strong adjectives there, don't ya think?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    kinda strong adjectives there, don't ya think?
    I didn't write these to provoke a reaction from anyone. It's how I feel. Before all of this started happening, before Clark's death was even confirmed, I wrote exactly these words at the mere possibility of this happening. I'm not going to search for my own posts to prove it right now, but it's the simple truth.

Those of you who are bitter about this, consider this: Morrison's Action arc never seemed to sync with the rest of the New 52. It was Superman's new origin, of course, but think about how disparate Superman and JL was from it and also remember that Morrison didn't even tell Perez what he was doing.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Morrison's ideas were intended for the post-Infinite Crisis Superman. He had to change some of those ideas for a full reboot, but stuff like working for the Daily Star, Clark and Jimmy as pals, even the Vyndktyvx stuff could have happened to the post-Infinite Crisis Superman off panel in Secret Origin. Certainly stuff like the proto-suit and the armored suit was new, but the rest may have been something Morrison pitched before the hard(ish) reboot orders came down from WB.

I know that's small consolation to the those who really cared about the New 52 Superman, but it does still validate much of that characterization and some of those aspects of the character. I suspect we'll see more of what's being retained from the New 52 era in the next few months and, of course, throughout the rest of Rebirth.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I liked N52 Superman himself as a character. He was a neat take, younger brasher but still compassionate and likable. I also liked a handful of stories. But I hated the Wonder Woman romance, and glad it's toast, sorry not sorry. The costume only looked good with certain artists like Jim Lee, otherwise he looked like a crappy action figure. Overall though I am glad we're are back to having an older and experienced Superman who has the rich history and legacy intact.
    Pretty much this. I just hope that this time unlike preFlashpoint AND New 52 everyone is on board and the details are planned and set in stone. The issue with preFlashpoint is that Geoff Johns kept changing his mind on things, and the bits and pieces he slowly unveiled alongside Busiek contradicted SO.and until SO, the official line at DC was MOS and Birthright still counted unless something new superseded it.

With New 52, there was no consistent back story for Superman with a 5 year timeline where we never got anything meaningfully filled in. Superman maybe died, he may or may not have dated Lois, he may have met all his rogues or not etc. Oh and he and Luthor had a big fight that left him Scarred...We think.

Lessions from both eras that must be heeded.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

I thought it was "not a reboot".....

And what happens to the other New 52 Supers like Superboy? Still the clone of their son Jon?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    it's still monstruous and repugnant.
    Jeez, dial it back a tad, will you?

They changed creative directions for a fictional character whose life is replete with changes in tone, continuity and quality. When that happens, the words 'monstrous and repugnant' aren't really appropriate.

Save that kind of righteous indignation for things that actually hurt people like rapists, murderers, and corrupt politicians and businessmen.

Keep it in perspective. You don't have to like what creative choices they're currently making, but always remember these are just light forms of entertainment.

It's a f***ing comic book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Those of you who are bitter about this, consider this: Morrison's Action arc never seemed to sync with the rest of the New 52. It was Superman's new origin, of course, but think about how disparate Superman and JL was from it and also remember that Morrison didn't even tell Perez what he was doing.
    This is the most ridiculous thing ever, right from the start. 2011, wasn't it? How the heck didn't they communicate? Too hard to setup a private communication channel between them both back then? Twitter, Facebook. Email, they ever heard of it? What the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Jeez, dial it back a tad, will you?

They changed creative directions for a fictional character whose life is replete with changes in tone, continuity and quality. When that happens, the words 'monstrous and repugnant' aren't really appropriate.

Save that kind of righteous indignation for things that actually hurt people like rapists, murderers, and corrupt politicians and businessmen.

Keep it in perspective. You don't have to like what creative choices they're currently making, but always remember these are just light forms of entertainment.

It's a f***ing comic book.
    I've been called sexist, misogynist, etc, for liking the Clark and Diana pairing.

But that's besides the point. My country is being destroyed by a bunch of criminals. This is the escape I had. They are monstruous and repugnant in real life.

What's happened in this fictional universe is still repugnant, in regards to how they threated one of the most important fictional characters. Obviously not on the same level. Get over yourself.
    Last edited by dumbduck; 03-22-2017 at 05:28 PM.