Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Favourite "WORTHLESS" comics you love

What are some of your favourite bargain bin comics YOU love but nobody else does?

Larry Hama's Nth Man : VERY different form what Marvel was publishing in 1990. Ninja commando vs reality warping orphan brother

Static (Milestone) - The early issues remind me a lot of early Lee/Ditko Spider-man with a strong early 90's hip-hop vibe. The fact that it outlasted the other Milestone heroes says plenty...

Steve Garber's Hard Time was good too. Anyone else like the Dc Focus line? Would love to see Ethan Harrow reimagined as a Suicide Squad character...

and YOURS?

Not sure if this qualifies as 'worthless" but I love Alan Davis' ClanDestine.
    Great art, interesting characters.

Simon Furman's run on the Original Death's Head.

Invincible Member

The origin of Woodgod!

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    Ditto. Also, The Saga of Crystar.

Marvel probably wasn't the publisher, but I have this one issue of something called Animax, I think. Which I can only describe as a combination of Centurions, He-Man, Transformers, and any attempted toy franchise in the 80s.

Basic premise is the good guys are humans who ride half-animal-half-car abominations. As in, the whole thing is a mechanical car, except for their giant flesh and bone heads. It's like they grafted real living animal heads onto the cars!

The bad guys are mutants led by Skeletor's skinnier and even whinier brother. But he rides this badass bone-dragon-roadster that looks like something out of Max Max.

The whole thing is such 80s toy-franchise-desperation, I love it.

My pick is Starriors, an 80s comic based on a little remembered toy line. Marvel was picking up a lot of licenses for toy based comics at the time. Everyone remembers Rom, GI Joe and Transformers but the Starriors 4 issue limited series was it's own very weird and cool thing.

It was written by Louise Simonson. It was surprisingly deep and tragic for a comic book based around toys. Characters actually die in it and it has a real ending. Also Bill Sienkiewicz painted the covers and they are beautiful.

One of my favorites.
    I've always been a sucker for second class teams. Force Works, Extreme Justice, The Wanderers, The Champions (original), Power Company, etc... The kind that rarely makes it past the two years mark.

Peace

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Pretty much all of my Marvel collection is worthless, since it consists of books from the late 80's onward.

And if they're not a favorite, I've already sold/traded them.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I've always been a sucker for second class teams. Force Works, Extreme Justice, The Wanderers, The Champions (original), Power Company, etc... The kind that rarely makes it past the two years mark.

Peace
    Ditto!

Add Primal Force and Alpha Flight to that list for me.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Ditto!

Add Primal Force and Alpha Flight to that list for me.
    Don't know if I'd put Alpha Flight in "no one else loves this!" category. Jokes about them being Avengers North aside, they've got decent recognition.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Yes! Me too!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Don't know if these qualify, but Marvel's Malibu imprint.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    One of my favorites.

Peace
    I have so many of those type runs. Shadowpact, Demon Knights, Agents of Atlas, New Warriors, The Invaders, Heroes for Hire. I would buy 10 of those type of team books over even the most popular Avengers book these days.

Got quite a few of these type of series in my collection. From the Marvel side of things - Dragon's Claws (Marvel UK), Hellstorm: Prince of Lies, Foolkiller (90s), Namor (Byrne), Strikeforce: Morituri.

Until recently I would have added the UK Spider-man/Zoids series to the list as well but have been told they go for quite a bit of money nowadays.