Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Should DC keep EVS?

Although I really love his art, social media suggests he is an appalling human being, and DC artists have been fired for less e.g. Wonder Woman cheesecake. With the backlash going on at the minute do you think he should go?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Pain View Post
    Although I really love his art, social media suggests he is an appalling human being, and DC artists have been fired for less e.g. Wonder Woman cheesecake. With the backlash going on at the minute do you think he should go?
    Nobody was fired for Wonder Woman cheesecake.
    Frank Cho was moved to an other book not for Wonder Woman cheesecake (he was still doing that on that new book) but because his inability to take editorial directions.

Now, what is an EVS?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Nobody was fired for Wonder Woman cheesecake.
    Frank Cho was moved to an other book not for Wonder Woman cheesecake (he was still doing that on that new book) but because his inability to take editorial directions.

Now, what is an EVS?
    Ethan van Sciver, notable for his art on Green Lantern (he currently does art for Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps).

BANNED

Ah, him. I think he's annoying but harmles. Why? What's he done this time?

*googles*

Holy crap on a pogostick, Batman.
    In an ideal world that wouldn't just get him fired, it would get him in actual legal trouble.

BANNED

Ah, him. I think he's annoying but harmles. Why? What's he done this time?

*googles*

Holy crap on a pogostick, Batman.
    In an ideal world that wouldn't just get him fired, it would get him in actual legal trouble.
    HOLY @#%!

Just looked it up...yeah, I'm not supporting any of his work ever again.

In an unpleasant exchange of views with another person, he made an extremely tasteless remark. And he's got form for it, most likely not one of life's good guys.

But it wouldn't lead me to boycotting his work, if I liked his artwork.

I don't...and don't like writing of any of his usual collaborators...so that "question" doesn't apply. But I don't think DC should stop using him...he's done nothing illegal.

I suppose...in job he's doing he has some responsibility for safeguarding DC image, and he's poor at that...certainly some case for asking him to keep off internet, if he wants to maintain DC connection.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 05-12-2017 at 05:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    In an unpleasant exchange of views with another person, he made an extremely tasteless remark.
    Telling smebody who is already suffering from depression to go kill himself is a wee bit more severe than merely extremely tasteless.

Telling smebody who is already suffering from depression to go kill himself is a wee bit more severe than merely extremely tasteless.
    Is it? I can...sadly perhaps...think of many worse things.

The other guy churned out a load of abuse, and got some back. It was pretty standard internet fare, alas.

Astonishing Member

Since there's also evidence that EVS has a group of his friends who go and harass people online (that he seems somewhat aware of and doesn't mind) yeah. He should definitely be kicked.

And as much as I think Frank Cho is a dumbass manchild Ethan Van Sciver is dozens of times worse. EVS even personally insulted me when we were FB friends doing a typical conservative meltdown while doing so. I'm actually surprised he's lasted this long at DC. He's the type of guy who thinks it's discriminatory for companies to want folks who won't tarnish their image and has ranted about liberal agendas for a long time.

What he said was stupid and insensitive. I saw first hand what happened, it was a heated political debate and EVS blurted that comment out in the heat of the moment. He apologized for it to the person he said it and to everyone else, owned up to it and made a donation to a suicide prevention group. I've been FB friends with him for a long time and I've never seen him say something like that to anyone before and I've seen a LOT of heated political debates he's been involved in. He takes his political views seriously, especially if people come along and want to call him a Nazi because he happens to support Trump. By now I think we should all know better about labeling people like that. Of course, it doesn't excuse what he said, he could've said F yourself, instead of kill yourself, but I believe providing some context is at least somewhat helpful.

Now whether DC should terminate him for it, that's not for me to say. I think he owned up to it like I said, so if DC decides to part ways with him to avoid more negative publicity, that's up to them. I believe every person should be allowed to make mistakes that they can learn from and grow, which is what I think he did. Witch hunts don't provide any solution. With that being said, as a public figure he should've just known better than that.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-12-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

"Go kill yourself" Has been an insult since Internet discussion became a thing. The people arguing werent saying kind things in general. People need to remember creators or comic people are still human, do stupid crap, say stupid crap especially in the heat of the moment. People overreact to much. I get worse comments playing overwatch

He said stupid things in a heated exchange on internet and later apologized. That's it! Almost no one would be giving a damn about this or demanding him to be fired if he were a passionate Democrat and Hillary Clinton supporter. It's "Scott Lobdell is a sexual harasser" all over again. Some days ago, Patrick Zircher was insulting DC fans on twitter, but I didn't see any online outrage because of that.
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 05-12-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Yeah I'm not seeing the big deal here
    someone getting trolled on the internet is now a problem

This was clearly the doing of the Parallax entity.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-12-2017 at 07:28 AM.

BANNED

I stopped supporting his work once I learned he was a full on Trump supporter, to the point where he attended the Deploraball.

This isn't the first time he's shown himself to be not that great a person, and I don't think DC should be hiring someone as toxic as he is when there are so many other artists they could be taking a chance on, but he's not going to be let go anytime soon. Not only is he a big name artist, but he's good friends with guys like Johns.