Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

it's important to separate the artist from the art. I've enjoyed EVS' work for years and I would be lying to myself if I said that I'd stop enjoying his art because of something he did.

That aside, what he said wasn't even that bad. Especially since he apologized for it. People can be mean, especially online. I've had worse things said to me and I myself have said way worse things to people online and it's even worse when you're a person of interest, especially a person of interest who is very vocal about his conservative views in a very liberal industry. EVS probably gets hounded much more than your average person so an outburst isn't unexpected. If comic workers were fired for stupid things they've said on Twitter, some of DC and ALL of Marvel would be out of a job. Maybe that's part of the problem though. Maybe the comic industry needs to put a leash on its workers when it comes to social media.

Honestly I feel like Twitter isn't worth it for content creators. Seems like a breeding pool for controversy
    Last edited by Sunday; 05-12-2017 at 10:55 AM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And if this were his first offence, you would be correct.
    Two wrongs don't make a right though. All these people acting like asses because he acted like one still makes them come off as asses themselves. There is such a thing as decorum and frankly neither parties here are acting with it. That's just my opinion though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Yes, DC should keep EVS.

His job is to draw ****, he draws the hell out of the **** he's supposed to draw.

Does his attitude leave something to be desired? Sure. Hell, once, on this very boards, he came after me for criticizing the Jordan punch on Batman scene (and my criticism wasn't even on the art itself, but he took offense regardless).

He's very unlikable to some people in social media, also, yes. I've seen it.

And hell, I couldn't disagree more with his views in politics.

HOWEVER, "being unlikable" should not, ever, be an impediment to someone feeding his family. Further, social media and such are personal accounts, in which a person should be allowed to say whatever they want and face the consequences as a person. Being a public person should not curb his liberty.

As long ashis attitude or his views don't bleed into his work, the person is the person and the work is the work.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

Errrm. I'll have to disagree.

You can't use the "he has a family to feed don't you understand that" as a reason to not fire someone who's acting atrociously and has been for years.

Personal acounts or otherwise unless he's never EVER talking about his comics work he's reflecting on DC to some extent. I'm only surprised he's lasted this long. And personal accounts...aren't really. He's putting his thoughts out there and expecting reactions. He's not getting ones he wants but any social media account is never really personal.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    it's important to separate the artist from the art. I've enjoyed EVS' work for years and I would be lying to myself if I said that I'd stop enjoying his art because of something he did.

That aside, what he said wasn't even that bad. Especially since he apologized for it. People can be mean, especially online. I've had worse things said to me and I myself have said way worse things to people online and it's even worse when you're a person of interest, especially a person of interest who is very vocal about his conservative views in a very liberal industry. EVS probably gets hounded much more than your average person so an outburst isn't unexpected. If comic workers were fired for stupid things they've said on Twitter, some of DC and ALL of Marvel would be out of a job. Maybe that's part of the problem though. Maybe the comic industry needs to put a leash on its workers when it comes to social media.

Honestly I feel like Twitter isn't worth it for content creators. Seems like a breeding pool for controversy
    People need to think before they speak (or type), IMO. I doubt a single person (including yours truly) on this thread hasn't thought about saying something that could be considered vile in the heat of the moment, but silence is more golden in those instances.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    People need to think before they speak (or type), IMO. I doubt a single person (including yours truly) on this thread hasn't thought about saying something that could be considered vile in the heat of the moment, but silence is more golden in those instances.
    I tend to walk away from the conversation when I get to that point and come back later. I can have a very hot temper at times.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I tend to walk away from the conversation when I get to that point and come back later. I can have a very hot temper at times.
    I can, too, if I don't control myself and believe your method is the proper one.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I stopped supporting his work once I learned he was a full on Trump supporter, to the point where he attended the Deploraball.

This isn't the first time he's shown himself to be not that great a person, and I don't think DC should be hiring someone as toxic as he is when there are so many other artists they could be taking a chance on, but he's not going to be let go anytime soon. Not only is he a big name artist, but he's good friends with guys like Johns.
    Unfortunately, as a conservative I don't have the luxury of taking such moral stands unless I intend to give up all movies, TV, comic books, music and every other form of media

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Unfortunately, as a conservative I don't have the luxury of taking such moral stands unless I intend to give up all movies, TV, comic books, music and every other form of media
    Same, friend. Same.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

unfortunately, yes, he should be resign or be removed immediately

He got into a flame war. The other person told him "**** you" and he said "go kill yourself". Social media gets the worst out of people. Manufactured internet outrage ensues. Much ado about nothing.

He should not be fired, but someone close to him should take away his social media accounts.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I honestly don't understand why anyone who has any kind of public profile would stay on Twitter. It is a fucking cancer. Sooner or latter is bites everyone right in the ass, and most of the people on Twitter are just the worst anyway. It is just not worth it when there are so many other social platforms out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I honestly don't understand why anyone who has any kind of public profile would stay on Twitter. It is a fucking cancer. Sooner or latter is bites everyone right in the ass, and most of the people on Twitter are just the worst anyway. It is just not worth it when there are so many other social platforms out there.
    He made that comment on Facebook not twitter. But yeah, Facebook is just as cancerous if not more so than that idiot toilet called twitter.

not every creator who uses social media comes out of conversations telling fans to go kill themselves. let's drop that fantasy right now