Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    Im going to be blunt. Maybe I'm not the only one, but... wtf was this series even about? Im so lost. I feel like i kept picking up issues and everytime i read the new issue i felt like i had to reread EVERY previous issue just to understand and remember what was going on. Indon't like to admit when something is over my head, but this was over my head. Id consider myself a RELATIVELY intelligent individual but I feel like I missed something. Im not a Mister Miracle follower by any means, and I felt like I had to of read a plethora of previous continuity just to comprehend each panel. Im not sure that King's depiction on this book played out very well for fans that jumped on to this book with little MM knowledge. *shrug* idk I hope that people who understood it better than I did, enjoyed it. Maybe I'll come back to it down the road with a better understanding of the character so I can analyze the story with better clarity.
    I don't think it has anything to do with being intelligent. It's just that this kind of story grabs you or not. Like a David Lynch movie. You don't have to be smarter to get David Lynch, you just have to immerse yourself in the world he creates. This is the exact same thing here.

I think you have to accept that it's not a straight forward story and the pay off won't be in a definitive answer.

Astonishing Member

Im going to be blunt. Maybe I'm not the only one, but... wtf was this series even about? Im so lost. I feel like i kept picking up issues and everytime i read the new issue i felt like i had to reread EVERY previous issue just to understand and remember what was going on. I don't like to admit when something is over my head, but this was over my head. Id consider myself a RELATIVELY intelligent individual but I feel like I missed something. Im not a Mister Miracle follower by any means, and I felt like I had to of read a plethora of previous continuity just to comprehend each panel. Im not sure that King's depiction on this book played out very well for fans that jumped on to this book with little MM knowledge. *shrug* idk I hope that people who understood it better than I did, enjoyed it. Maybe I'll come back to it down the road with a better understanding of the character so I can analyze the story with better clarity.
    I don't think your wrong at all

Imo it's fine to set up a story like this, but 12 issues down the line I hope to at least get an ending that is an ending

This isn't anything like that

there is no real conclusion here, I don't think think one was ever intended

in the writers head the ending may be on the page, but it isn't

That's ok, but after this much expense and time, the least I can expect is something that looks like a story that moved on, this actually hasn't, there's no real movement from the start it's totally up in the air if anything has actually happened at all

Ambiguous story telling is one thing, in the set up it teases, in the ending it just frustrates

this is superheroes, not some opus

The more I think of this the more I think this is garbage

imo

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I can understand some readers feeling cheated, but I didn't feel that way. I thought it was an appropriate ending to a story that was always meant to be interpreted in many different ways.

The problem is that since Scott & Barda will continue to be ongoing characters in the never-ending saga of the DCU, we know what choice Scott will make in the end, which robs the story of some that punch, but it works even better as a stand alone story because there'll be some ambiguity about what Scott will choose.

I'm curious to see how they'll be handled when they show up next. They had a cameo in Snyder's Drowned Earth and were on the cover of King's own Heroes in Crisis.

While I’m am New Gods fan I gave up after several issues thought the story was rubbish and confusing after reading people thoughts on this thread about this final issue I’m glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

Imo it's fine to set up a story like this, but 12 issues down the line I hope to at least get an ending that is an ending

That's ok, but after this much expense and time, the least I can expect is something that looks like a story that moved on, this actually hasn't, there's no real movement from the start it's totally up in the air if anything has actually happened at all

Ambiguous story telling is one thing, in the set up it teases, in the ending it just frustrates

imo
    Should comics not aspire to be something greater? Or should the funnybooks just be 4-color worlds of punching things?

It's all subjective, so if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you; but knocking the series because it tried to be something greater than the norm is a weird hill to stand on.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    He guy killed himself in issue 1 and by the end decides that death is a much happier place than living. It pretty much just glorifies suicide. That’s the only thing that seems to make sense with this crap story.
    It glorifies running away from your problems, which is the type of person Scott is. You know anything about the character, this makes complete sense for him.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

imo
    How is it frustrating? It about a hero who will always escape whatever is negatively affecting him at the time. That's a never ending battle for a person that refuses to truly deal with his issues. Thus there would never be a definitive ending.

This is a character study of Scott's mindset. It was always that. It's not about being intelligent, or pretentious, it's just that.

"This is superheroes, not some opus"

Thank god you're not in charge of creative. Why did you pick up this book knowing who was writing it? Anyone familiar with King knows he doesn't write the typical hero story, and loves tearing the hero down to human, false levels of introspection. He loves to focus on the trauma that they deal with, and explore that through the characters' characteristics. He's basically the slap of reality that reminds you that these people are not well, that their epic lives is only making it worse.

You want to read books that ignore the trauma, and writes the characters as perfect beings? Read something else, as these stories are the extreme minority in comics. Not saying don't read it, tho, just you're complaining about something that was obvious. You're reading a King story about a dude who defining aspect is that he's child-like in nature and would rather run away/escape from his issues.

Like, come on....you chose to waste your money on the exact kind of story you knew you weren't going to like.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 11-15-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Astonishing Member

Im going to be blunt. Maybe I'm not the only one, but... wtf was this series even about? Im so lost. I feel like i kept picking up issues and everytime i read the new issue i felt like i had to reread EVERY previous issue just to understand and remember what was going on. I don't like to admit when something is over my head, but this was over my head. Id consider myself a RELATIVELY intelligent individual but I feel like I missed something. Im not a Mister Miracle follower by any means, and I felt like I had to of read a plethora of previous continuity just to comprehend each panel. Im not sure that King's depiction on this book played out very well for fans that jumped on to this book with little MM knowledge. *shrug* idk I hope that people who understood it better than I did, enjoyed it. Maybe I'll come back to it down the road with a better understanding of the character so I can analyze the story with better clarity.
    It was about Scott getting trapped in the Omega Sanction, turning it into his own perfect world and refusing to return to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It was about Scott getting trapped in the Omega Sanction, turning it into his own perfect world and refusing to return to reality.
    So, basically, Scott being Scott.

BANNED

In the end it was about a trap that Scott didn't want to escape from almost coming into full circle with his life

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    you know what does make sense? Stop being obsessed with hating on a writer just because he's popular. You're posting in every thread I see about Tom King, be it here or in the batman thread, and every time, you just say that he sucks, he writes crap stories, etc.

Let's say you're a batman fan and can't stand his run, but if you hate his work this much, why go to the trouble of reading a maxi-serie he wrote?

We get it, you don't like Tom King. But since your only contribution is basically "Tom King writes crap", it would be probably way healthier to simply ignore his work, instead of obsessing about it. Anyway, it's your free time, so you're free to do that, I guess.

In the end, saying about an open ending "that's the only thing that make sense with this crap story" shows a lack of understanding of what an open ending is.
    I’ll feel free to post on whatever thread I see fit. If you don’t like it then feel free to ignore me. I dislike King and you seem to love him. You’re the one dedicating time to “correcting” someone who doesn’t agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Should comics not aspire to be something greater? Or should the funnybooks just be 4-color worlds of punching things?

It's all subjective, so if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you; but knocking the series because it tried to be something greater than the norm is a weird hill to stand on.
    Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    It glorifies running away from your problems, which is the type of person Scott is. You know anything about the character, this makes complete sense for him.
    How is it frustrating? It about a hero who will always escape whatever is negatively affecting him at the time. That's a never ending battle for a person that refuses to truly deal with his issues. Thus there would never be a definitive ending.

This is a character study of Scott's mindset. It was always that. It's not about being intelligent, or pretentious, it's just that.

"This is superheroes, not some opus"

Thank god you're not in charge of creative. Why did you pick up this book knowing who was writing it? Anyone familiar with King knows he doesn't write the typical hero story, and loves tearing the hero down to human, false levels of introspection. He loves to focus on the trauma that they deal with, and explore that through the characters' characteristics. He's basically the slap of reality that reminds you that these people are not well, that their epic lives is only making it worse.

You want to read books that ignore the trauma, and writes the characters as perfect beings? Read something else, as these stories are the extreme minority in comics. Not saying don't read it, tho, just you're complaining about something that was obvious. You're reading a King story about a dude who defining aspect is that he's child-like in nature and would rather run away/escape from his issues.

Like, come on....you chose to waste your money on the exact kind of story you knew you weren't going to like.
    Thank you for this. Great posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I’ll feel free to post on whatever thread I see fit. If you don’t like it then feel free to ignore me. I dislike King and you seem to love him. You’re the one dedicating time to “correcting” someone who doesn’t agree with you.
    Let me remind you of what I told you before "Anyway, it's your free time, so you're free to do that, I guess.". So I'm not debating wether you're free to do that or not, obviously, I agree, you should have the right to do that. But because you have the right to do that doesn't make it meaningful.

Like you said, you dislike King. then why are you still reading his work? If you're a batman completionist and still want to read his batman run beacsue of that, I get it. But reading a maxi serie he wrote is not the same thing and it doesn't make sense. It doesn't bother me that we don't agree. It doesn't even bother me that you don't like King. I just have a hard time understanding what your goal is. I would go as far as say I'm genuinely interesting in understanding what drives this kind of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    In the end it was about a trap that Scott didn't want to escape from almost coming into full circle with his life
    Yup, he trapped himself to escape his problems.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Yup, he trapped himself to escape his problems.
    Maybe my problem is that I feel that King really is saying that...and I think that's a really wrong and horrible meaning. But I like Tom King, so I want him to be saying something good and true and beautiful.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Read it, turned back to the beginning, read it again. Don't think I've ever done with that an issue of a comic before.

Sandman. Watchmen. Dark Knight Returns.. Moore's Swamp Thing. King's Mister Miracle is right up there with giants like that. Moving, chilling, hilarious and brain-bending all at once.

I almost shrieked like a 12 year old girl running across Justin Bieber at the final panel with the "new and thrilling successor" teaser, thinking it might mean King or King/Gerads were going to do more New Gods stuff soon. But apparently not, according to the Washington Post article. So I guess that refers to the upcoming Female Furies mini-series?

For the record, I think the "meaning" of it is much more ambiguous and multi-layered than some people above are giving it credit for, but it'll take a lot of digesting. I have no problem with ambiguity or even frustration if I'm getting a rich and engaging experience, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. This seems to me like one of the most radical works ever published by one of the big comics companies. The comparisons someone made above to David Lynch's latter-day work had occurred to me, too.

I really want to see someone put together a "Dasa Ahs" meme with the black background and white type. My favorite moment of the issue.

I'm not sure if it was the WaPo article or another one I read today, but I laughed aloud when it was pointed out that in issue #11, Darkseid double-dips when he partakes of the veggie tray. It hadn't occurred to me at the time. Of course Darkseid double-dips!

So many feelings, so many thoughts. I could go on and on.