Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I got the whole "Fourth World is what we're creating" - a very existentialist answer, and very Tom King-ian, based on his Green Lantern one-shot, and honestly most of what he's written.

Maybe part of the problem I've been fumbling to articulate is that when I finished Omega Men and Vision, I was emotionally shattered. In pain but loving it.

Here...I'm just kinda numb. And I feel like I felt before reading it, and I wanted to be changed.
    I'm sorry you feel hurt by the story. The truth is that our expectations and hitting the mark doesn't always happen with things we love. George Lucas made Star Wars and Steven Spielberg made Jaws, Gremlins, and ET, and they both together made Indiana Jones... and then Crystal Skull happened.

This series wasn't a normal comic book story and it tried to do something different. It won't connect with everyone. If you're bummed out about Scott being dead then just remember that he's a god and they're impossible to kill for good. Plus, he's already openly said he can leave anytime he wants.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Some more observations about issue 12. Funny to see some comedians make a cameo at the beginning. Looked like Scott Aukerman, Adam Scott, Jason Mantzoukas, Paul F. Thompkins, Paul Scheer, and I didn’t recognize the others. Obviously Dan Didio and Jim Lee laughing it up.

“ Shut the &$%# up Lightray!” cracked me up. Very reminiscent of Big Lebowski.

Loved that they named their daughter after Kirby’s wife.
    Given that the entire series ended up being a "Jacob's Ladder Scenario", it was only fitting that Jason Mantzoukas, Paul Scheer and June Diane Raphael were there

BANNED

well I feel that most were expecting some final outcome where he confronted darkseid or the ultimate truth or something like that given the face of God conceit but instead Scott seems trapped in or hallucinating a realty which depending upon your point of view is both hell and heaven. it's like he is caught up in a world of his own fantasies and desires from which he doesn't want to wake up on one level but the part of him which always been elusive to capture is trying its best to make him come out of it through secret signs and whispers which only he hears and sees through familiar faces. it seems that one conclusion could be that the anti life equation has trapped him in a fractured reality or he is being subjected to the insidious power of the lump and no one can rescue him but he himself but he can't find the desire or strength to escape it or could be that just like booster mister miracle has snapped after some particular horrifying experience or perhaps it has been a slow build up of a breakdown where he lost his tenuous hold on reality maybe trying to commit suicide or not and is content where it has left him though his mind may be in ruins. another interpretation could be that he is in limbo while he is near death in the dcu. there's no true answer so any interpretation could be as valid as others. unlike batman and Superman who somehow always have been able to escape such traps/distortions of their world if it is so it seems the god of escape finally decided that he has found one trap from which he may never want to escape no matter what the consequences.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 11-15-2018 at 11:00 PM.

I'm not really sure the suicide did happen. There was a suicide in the story. But was it real? That's part of the question. As this is not a straight forward story and Scott is definitely not a reliable narrator, I don't think we should take the events as facts. That doesn"t negate the questions though.

I don't think we're supposed to agree with what Scott decides in the end. Nor are we supposed to disagree. In the end, what matters is: does that sound true to the character. Imo, it does. We can understand his choices, without agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I got the whole "Fourth World is what we're creating" - a very existentialist answer, and very Tom King-ian, based on his Green Lantern one-shot, and honestly most of what he's written.

Maybe part of the problem I've been fumbling to articulate is that when I finished Omega Men and Vision, I was emotionally shattered. In pain but loving it.

Here...I'm just kinda numb. And I feel like I felt before reading it, and I wanted to be changed.
    I read somewhere that King/Gerard considered this as a sequel The Sheriff of Babylon so it probably makes more sense to compare them with each other than with Omega Men or Vision.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since this was obviously meant for the reader to decide, here's one guy's take -

It's about becoming an adult, and accepting adulthood.
    That's my take too. Everyone thinking he's trapped himself in a phony reality are desiring the worst case scenario to be "deep" and edgy.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Firstly I picked it up coz I love scott and the new gods

When it started I quite liked what I had seen of king, that's not the case now not just for this book

If this is a study of his mind set that does not require an ending where we as readers are not really any further down the path than at the start, there are many points left unclear, and whilst that may be ok with you it's not for me, it's ok that we don't agree on that

it frustrates me because this was 12 issues of what effectively ends on a nonsense ending with no real clarity or conclusions, and I don't like that, I hoped for better

and in fairness, I hoped it woukd be better than this, as I felt it started well and hoped it would end as such, whilst it was unclear along the way, there was more than enough time to come to a definitive conclusion

the writer didn't want to, Ok, I reserve the right not to like that and to say so

It's not wrong that he wrote this, just as it's not wrong that I, as a consumer gave it the full try and supported an alternative story

you know, like a fan of the character and compony might do

Have I enjoyed part of it, the first half or so sure

the conclusion not at all

if you did, good for you I'm glad, I'm also ok saying I didn't

Lesson learned for me is skip tom king from now on, why I haven't looked at the current crisis book

and my point about the opus was a simple one, and neither of us are in charge of creative so that's all cool too
    Fine, I guess. I just think that a fan of Scot would know that he's always been the guy who would rather run then fight. King stayed true to the character, but itself like people wanted Scot to be retconned into a different person suddenly just to get an ideal ending. I just find that weird.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I don't think that King ever intended to say anything(or at least anything positive) with Mr.Miracle. He might be making fun of the idea that 'running away is good' but the whole series feels more style than substance.
    Running away being good is the opposite of how Scot is portrayed. If anything he's portrayed as a coward, that's accepted that he's always going to be that, and he's fine as long as he's "free".

I take it as either a neutral story; just a character study. Or a story that clearly there to show that Scot was never free, that no hero is all there. Which ties into his Crisis book. So a purposely depressing story, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This, at least, is a pretty basic and simple answer. The purpose of the story wasn't setting up Scott vs Darkseid, it was Scott and whatever the world he was trying to escape/decided to stay in mess. A basic good guy vs bad guy story ends with the good guy winning and the bad guy losing. Regardless of how you felt about this tale, love or hate it, it wasn't a standard good guy vs bad guy fight.

Did Scott end up in a purgatory after a suicide attempt? Is he actually being mind%^$#ed by the Lump?

Or is this an actual end and nothing more will be said?
    As seen in the Beat: http://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc-18-to...-fourth-world/
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc-2018-...otlight-panel/
    That second link, where it talks about King's first go around with therapy, and it not working because he didn't want to deal with his issues....sounds like this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I'm not really sure the suicide did happen. There was a suicide in the story. But was it real? That's part of the question. As this is not a straight forward story and Scott is definitely not a reliable narrator, I don't think we should take the events as facts. That doesn"t negate the questions though.

I don't think we're supposed to agree with what Scott decides in the end. Nor are we supposed to disagree. In the end, what matters is: does that sound true to the character. Imo, it does. We can understand his choices, without agreeing.
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    I feel like I wasted my time reading this boring drivel.
    So...why did you? Did you just keep reading (and, presumably, spending money on) issue after issue in the hope that it would suddenly turn into a completely different story? As a wise man once said, wot's...uh, the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Like you said, you dislike King. then why are you still reading his work? If you're a batman completionist and still want to read his batman run beacsue of that, I get it. But reading a maxi serie he wrote is not the same thing and it doesn't make sense. It doesn't bother me that we don't agree. It doesn't even bother me that you don't like King. I just have a hard time understanding what your goal is. I would go as far as say I'm genuinely interesting in understanding what drives this kind of behavior.
    I'm curious about this as well. I don't have the time to even read all the stuff I like, or probably would like if I had the time to read it. I can't fathom why somebody would waste time (and, presumably, money), 'hate-reading' something.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Some more observations about issue 12. Funny to see some comedians make a cameo at the beginning. Looked like Scott Aukerman, Adam Scott, Jason Mantzoukas, Paul F. Thompkins, Paul Scheer, and I didn’t recognize the others.
    I thought I recognized the familiar face of Derek Hofstetter, PI!

So for those of us left somewhat puzzled by the ending, Tom King is a regular guest on the Word Balloon podcast, and I've no doubt he'll be on there in due course to talk about what actually the hell happened. I'll throw up a link if and when, for anyone interested.

BANNED

so in all if you haven't read the series and are unsure of Tom kings writing you can safely skip it but if you like his style of writing then go for it. this is the best example of his current writing. it comes across like basically his attempt to write his version of the man who has everything especially in the latter parts except for the fact that everything is left open to the readers interpretation.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 11-17-2018 at 05:01 AM.