Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

But that's not an answer from King about whether this is real or not, or why escaping matters? Arg.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

I say Scott killed himself back in issue #1 and everything is him in purgatory. The appearance of Metron last issue was an attempt to bring him back to life. But I wouldn't worry about him being dead since the New Gods get a free pass to come back when writers want them to.

It was a weird ending. Not in a bad way, but what I got is basically that Scott decided to stick in his perfect dream world rather than return to reality. And as Orion said "If everything is easy and nice you might as well be dead".

I assume that he could have escaped if he followed Metron or if he gave up his child to Darkseid. And thats why we got that scene with Highfather moralizing about what a failure Scott is, but Highfather is totally still proud of him. Basically this was a trap and Scott could have escaped if he followed his father's or Metron's steps, but he chose death.

When Morrison wrote about Batman and Shilo having their adventures after "dying" he created dark place that heroes eventually managed to escape. King instead created perfect world that Scott didn't want to escape.

Speaking about Shilo, I wonder if this is how he will be reintroduced? Because I could see this being Scott's "happy ending".

Edit: thou obviously, as Scott says, he can always escape if chooses to.
    Last edited by HsssH; 11-14-2018 at 12:39 PM.

So...the idea is that we should escape reality into mundanity? That's very confusing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Not sure about we, but thats what, at least I think, Scott did.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Not sure about we, but thats what, at least I think, Scott did.
    But why is that a good thing? I don't see it as being a really compelling case for or against it?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    But why is that a good thing? I don't see it as being a really compelling case for or against it?
    Perhaps, and I'm making this up as I go along here, Scott's achieved his happy ending here and he has found a trap he doesn't WANT to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Perhaps, and I'm making this up as I go along here, Scott's achieved his happy ending here and he has found a trap he doesn't WANT to escape.
    Hmm. So...he's that guy in the Matrix who likes the fake steak?

Mighty Member

It seemed to me that Scott had an opportunity to escape to a different reality in issue 11. Either his reality is different than the main DC reality, this was a different scott, and he had the option to escape to the the main dc reality, or he is from the proper reality and had the option to escape to a different one, perhaps a more Golden Age inspired reality where the heroes always win, and Scott choose to stay in his own reality. I think the, "This is Hell" and "This is Heaven" monologues are pretty much his depression talking. Whether he's on Apokolips or at home in a great relationship with his kid, he's still second guessing himself. There's no peace for him, no true escape from depression. Darkseid is, but he is too, and even though he can't completely escape it, he doesn't have to let his depression control him.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    It seemed to me that Scott had an opportunity to escape to a different reality in issue 11. Either his reality is different than the main DC reality, this was a different scott, and he had the option to escape to the the main dc reality, or he is from the proper reality and had the option to escape to a different one, perhaps a more Golden Age inspired reality where the heroes always win, and Scott choose to stay in his own reality. I think the, "This is Hell" and "This is Heaven" monologues are pretty much his depression talking. Whether he's on Apokolips or at home in a great relationship with his kid, he's still second guessing himself. There's no peace for him, no true escape from depression. Darkseid is, but he is too, and even though he can't completely escape it, he doesn't have to let his depression control him.
    I like that interpretation, but I'll have to reread the whole series to try to make it fit. I don't think it fits just with the last issue by itself.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I interpret it that the reality we've been following for 12 issues is Scott's journey into the afterlife and him coming to terms with his life. And Metron arrived offering him a chance to come back to life, which he turned down.

Hmm. So...he's that guy in the Matrix who likes the fake steak?
    Yes, which makes Scott look like a bit of an ass. He would rather be dead in a false reality and leave his friends and wife to mourn him than be alive with them. I guess the take away from this book is: if you are unhappy then consider suicide. Because happiness can be found in the afterlife? That's rather morbid.
    Last edited by whiterabbit; 11-14-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    I interpret it that the reality we've been following for 12 issues is Scott's journey into the afterlife. And Metron arrived offering him a chance to come back to life, which he turned down.

Yes, which makes Scott look like a bit of an ass. He would rather be dead in a false reality and leave his friends and wife to mourn him than be alive with them. I guess the take away from this book is: if you are unhappy then consider suicide. Because happiness can be found in the afterlife? That's rather morbid.
    Which is why I'm not sure that it's correct that he's dead. The depression/trauma reading makes a more heroic, appealing story, but I need to reread to figure out if I can draw that reading out in my own head.

Incredible Member

Which is why I'm not sure that it's correct that he's dead. The depression/trauma reading makes a more heroic, appealing story, but I need to reread to figure out if I can draw that reading out in my own head.

Until Tom King says otherwise I think there's too many contradictions for this not to be a false reality generated by Scott dying. At the start of the story: we have Oberon dead, even though Scott remembers him to be alive; Forager is murdered by Lightray (which Lightray normally wouldn't do); Granny, who is basically Scott's mother, is a traitor and working for Highfather; Orion started the war and wanted power as the new Highfather and orchestrated to have Scott killed; Scott always felt like something was wrong with the world; Darkseid isn't dead in any other book.

This will probably not be answered as leaving it vague and open to interpretation makes it more artistically creative, and you can always just say that Scott was in another universe and the end result is less morbid, but I think him dying from suicide is symbolic of Scott willingly putting himself in a situation to test if if he could escape death and then deciding he really doesn't want to... even though he could.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Until Tom King says otherwise I think there's too many contradictions for this not to be a false reality generated by Scott dying. At the start of the story: we have Oberon dead, even though Scott remembers him to be alive; Forager is murdered by Lightray (which Lightray normally wouldn't do); Granny, who is basically Scott's mother, is a traitor and working for Highfather; Orion started the war and wanted power as the new Highfather and orchestrated to have Scott killed; Scott always felt like something was wrong with the world; Darkseid isn't dead in any other book.

This will probably not be answered as leaving it vague and open to interpretation makes it more artistically creative, and you can always just say that Scott was in another universe and the end result is less morbid, but I think him dying from suicide is symbolic of Scott willingly putting himself in a situation to test if if he could escape death and then deciding he really doesn't want to... even though he could.
    What makes it necessarily a false reality? I think it's clear that it's a DIFFERENT reality, but is this the Scott of the main universe, or another? And what's the meaning of it being false vs. different in terms of how we should read it as Tom King's statement on the current political situation (which he's said many times)?

So...the idea is that we should escape reality into mundanity? That's very confusing.
    Maybe considering the "hell" that Scott grew up in, a boring life in the suburbs is exactly what he wants?

One thing that confuses me though is, why would Oberon be dead in Scott's "perfect world?"
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-14-2018 at 02:04 PM.