Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I think it shows more of a lack of range to Kings writing. He doesn't seem capable of writing anyone who isn't manic depressive. His writing is very dark and while that may work with some people, it can't be your only tool. If it is then people will get tired of it quickly. Hell, I don't like much of what Morrison has done but even he isn't this damn depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I think it shows more of a lack of range to Kings writing. He doesn't seem capable of writing anyone who isn't manic depressive. His writing is very dark and while that may work with some people, it can't be your only tool. If it is then people will get tired of it quickly. Hell, I don't like much of what Morrison has done but even he isn't this damn depressing.
    While I guess I can see that aspect of the whole of the guy's work, I would balk at a version of Mister Miracle who was not a psychological mess who was borderline suicidal.

Camus said that the only philosophical question of any import was whether or not to kill oneself. It's not abnormal to think about it, especially for characters born of childhood trauma which Batman and Mister Miracle both very much were.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Um. Grayson had a lot of light in it. I do think that King tends to go dark a lot, but there's more in there.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Um. Grayson had a lot of light in it. I do think that King tends to go dark a lot, but there's more in there.
    Also worth noting that Granny Goodness does not seem to be manic depressive, and is particularly well written here.

BANNED

Okay, I'd been avoiding spoilers up until this point, but...Scott is suicidal now? Whaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Okay, I'd been avoiding spoilers up until this point, but...Scott is suicidal now? Whaaaaaaaaaaaa...
    Dang.

Didn't mean to spoil anything. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Also worth noting that Granny Goodness does not seem to be manic depressive, and is particularly well written here.
    Don't forget Barda! She's got some trauma and self doubt, but she's the Barda I love - violent and beautiful and loving.

Dang.

It was in page one, I thought. Or first five.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Dang.

No worries. I'm trade waiting so clicking on a thread like this is at my own risk.

This is kinda odd though.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    No worries. I'm trade waiting so clicking on a thread like this is at my own risk.

This is kinda odd though.
    The upside?

What I described may not be what is happening(at least that's my take).

Don't forget Barda! She's got some trauma and self doubt, but she's the Barda I love - violent and beautiful and loving.
    Barda happily going to town on the Jello was priceless.

It was in page one, I thought. Or first five.
    Page 1, I think.

Although I'd be hesitant to say anything in this series is for sure real. One of the brilliant things about it has been how compelling it's been for three issues when the reader can't be certain of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Page 1, I think.

Although I'd be hesitant to say anything in this series is for sure real. One of the brilliant things about it has been how compelling it's been for three issues when the reader can't be certain of anything.
    Yup. That's part of the whole thing, isn't it?

Yup. That's part of the whole thing, isn't it?
    For me, that uncertainty has been one of the biggest reasons I've enjoyed it thus far.

Yeah I was gonna mention Grayson. That book was also great. A lot of fun. Definitely not all doom and gloom. Throughout all the craziness Dick remained his usual witty amiable self. Plus King was able to bring some of his CIA experience to the DCU.

As far as what’s going on in Mister Miracle, I’m thinking that parts of the Anti-Life Equation are in Scott and Orion. In the New Gods stories Darkseid was always abducting humans who have a part of the Equation in them. He needed to collect the right people to pry the pieces of the equation from their minds. So going by Morrison’s example of what the Anti-Life Equation is ( loneliness - self worth + desperation x fear x shame, etc. ) it would seem that Scott’s depression and Orion’s arrogance and wrath would definitely be a part of the whole.