Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Simsonson's Orion had Scott using the ALE, and I'd be very surprised if King hadn't read that.

On the subject of King's writing being depresing, I've talked to friends who have read his work to and commented that a lot of it has this distinct feeling of, "You feeling ok?" to it. Given his background in intelligence, I'm not surprised his work tends towards the depressing.
    A work of art about depression isn't necessarily a depressing work of art.

So good...

For starters, the latest issue was brilliant overall. In addition, the way it chose to emphasize that Scott and Barda are truly the children of Granny Goodness?

One step beyond. Easily one of the best things I have read in a comic this year(and it's been a pretty solid year).

Hell of a last day on earth.

Astonishing Member

Oh man. This last issue. Barda. Everything about Barda.

So yeah, I have weird deep cut thoughts that are really hard to put into words because it's so visceral for me. Obviously Scott vocalizing questioning his own reality and existence in a book that has consistently depicted panels that fritz out like we're watching television or like Scott's watching television or watching his life unfold through some dopey Kirby Machine is pretty on-the-nose, but there's deeper cuts into the real experience of depression happening. (Those things couldn't be depicted as nuanced or accurately if it wasn't for solid direction but more than that, Gerads ability to render it.)

But my big takeaway this issue was like two things. Firstly; Oberon gets Kirby's original last name. Wonderful. Secondly; and I don't think it was super hidden, but holy crap Funky Flashman has a Stan Lee vibe.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I get this weird feeling that(assuming this is not all in Scott's head) Barda either winds up Highfather or Darkseid at the end of this.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Funky Flashman has a Stan Lee vibe
    He always has. Most believe that Jack Kirby created him as a parody of Stan Lee after the two had a falling out. His early appearances include a sidekick called Houseroy, believed to be a parody of Roy Thomas.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

That last scene wit Barda was something else.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Well I don't think Orion was trying to kill the guy, just put him in his place but still capable of fighting and leading the charge.
    Yeah Orion was pulling his punches big time, or else Scott would be dead.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That last scene wit Barda was something else.
    I'm not a fan of the way Gerards draws Barda's face (haven't been since the previews of issue 1), but her final line was extremely well structured - from her inability to ask him to stay and fight for himself at the beginning, and her final resolve in the end.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Just looking through it, I see so much awesomeness. The detailing of personal lines between Scott and Barda, the slightly more realistic look of Funky, the use of the commands hearkening back to Scott's Apokalips upbringing. And the sexist pig in me is ashamed I never thought about that Scott/Barda scene.

This weekend will be me and these five issues, read one by one lovingly. This is a truly classic run.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Oh man. This last issue. Barda. Everything about Barda.

So yeah, I have weird deep cut thoughts that are really hard to put into words because it's so visceral for me. Obviously Scott vocalizing questioning his own reality and existence in a book that has consistently depicted panels that fritz out like we're watching television or like Scott's watching television or watching his life unfold through some dopey Kirby Machine is pretty on-the-nose, but there's deeper cuts into the real experience of depression happening. (Those things couldn't be depicted as nuanced or accurately if it wasn't for solid direction but more than that, Gerads ability to render it.)

But my big takeaway this issue was like two things. Firstly; Oberon gets Kirby's original last name. Wonderful. Secondly; and I don't think it was super hidden, but holy crap Funky Flashman has a Stan Lee vibe.
    Yeah. All that. And Oberon's tombstone blurb was perfect too.

https://graphicpolicy.com/2017/12/13...-miracle-5-12/
    I can't say I completely get what's going on with this series but there's no ignoring that this issue is full of emotional weight with the expected amazing art. The series continues to be a head scratcher but it's a head scratcher I look forward to reading every month and one of the best of the year.
    This paragraph summary of Graphic Policy Brett'a whole agreeable review pretty much summed up my feelings after the last page. And for that reason, my grade would have been a tad lower than he gives this ish. Scott is one lucky guy to have a woman like that for a soul mate. This only makes the ending more shocking - even if it is another mystery 'glitch' - why did/would she kill Funky?

Plus a great #5 cover (AND variant).
    5_medium.jpg

Funky has been a collaborator with Apokalips before. Actually, now that I think about it, this is the first time we'v seen him work with New Genesis aligned characters. That's fishy in and of itself.

I've liked Vision. I've really liked Omega Men. I love batman. But I adore Mister Miracle. This is really unique. It's so different, so well made... It's a rollercoaster of a comic book. It's weird, fun, moving, depressing, funny, touching, intriguing....

We're damn lucky, because we're witness of something that is one of a kind in the making. Each issue is surprising.

It gives me as many emotions than Twin Peaks did for 18 hours this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I've liked Vision. I've really liked Omega Men. I love batman. But I adore Mister Miracle. This is really unique. It's so different, so well made... It's a rollercoaster of a comic book. It's weird, fun, moving, depressing, funny, touching, intriguing....

We're damn lucky, because we're witness of something that is one of a kind in the making. Each issue is surprising.

It gives me as many emotions than Twin Peaks did for 18 hours this year.
    Totally agreed. It’s been years since I’ve read a comic that generated this array of emotions. I wouldn’t say it’s on the level of All Star Superman for me, but it’s up there. I don’t know if a superhero comic has ever captured the feeling of depression better than this book. Feeling trapped and numb while the world around you just seems off.

Darkseid hasn’t made a single physical appearance in this book but I feel like King has added a whole new dimension to his character. He’s not just the god of evil and subjugation but also the god of despair. His essence can infect a person and make them feel absolutely hopeless. That makes him so much scarier. The god of anti-life. Making Mister Miracle (the god of hope, freedom, and love) his true opposite.