Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Wonderful issue. So strong. And the colours!

My favourite issue so far!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

So good. Dah Dah...

Every time I look at this and think I know what's going on, something else jumps out at me. I'm thinking this is going to be covering a major portion of Kirby's mythos and isn't just a Mr Miracle story, but a full fledged New Gods extravaganza. The solicits for 10 hint at another Pact between New Genesis and Apokolips.

Damn, this is so good. The juxtaposition of a traditional home life and a thoroughly bizarre "work" is extraordinary. The focus screams out what the characters are feeling and thinking. Wow.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This family...I really hope King doesn't pull it all away from us...though I did hear him promising two fans that he wasn't going to break up Scott and Barda...but that doesn't mean he won't kill them both or something equally sad...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    This family...I really hope King doesn't pull it all away from us...though I did hear him promising two fans that he wasn't going to break up Scott and Barda...but that doesn't mean he won't kill them both or something equally sad...
    From what I heard and read, what I fear is that Scott could end up in the same situation as Highfather, having to make a deal with Darkseid, maybe even one involving his son.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    From what I heard and read, what I fear is that Scott could end up in the same situation as Highfather, having to make a deal with Darkseid, maybe even one involving his son.
    Oh, man, I hadn't even thought of that, but that's HORRIBLE!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I can't believe i hadn't picked up on Jacob being named after Kirby yet.

Good issue, overall. The war scenes hammer home just how monstrous the war is, while the juxtaposed baby scenes are, for lack of a better word, really cute.

Gerads work really compliments the story. The juxtaposition was amazing. The fight against Kanto was funny as hell. I missed Barda. Her relationship with Scott is so sweet, and King di an incredible work with them, so having her being basent from most of the issue was a blow, but it was precisely the point. Good job King!

I am absolutely loving this series! I really hope Scott doesn't have to make a deal with Darkseid, that would probably ruin everything for me and this series has been one of my favorites.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    So good. Dah Dah...
    How much you wanna bet his first words are gonna be "Darkseid Is."

Fantastic Member

Another solid issue by King/Gerads, though perhaps not my favorite of King story this week, surprisingly.

I agree that Barda's presence was missed, and that was likely intentional.

I have to wonder how many pages in the entire series don't utilize the 9-panel grid. Could've sworn there was at least one in the first issue, but I'd need to look again. But its frequent (constant?) use has given the presentation a sort of structure that will be seen as iconic in years to come, I suspect.

Also, "Batman kills babies"

Incredible Member

Oh crap, that makes a LOT of sense. Especially after this issue showing us how much they don't want to let go of the baby.

I've been trying to figure out what the dark twist is going to be — like, the home life is an artificial reality trap of comfort for Scott Free — but having to swap babies is definitely where this is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I can't believe i hadn't picked up on Jacob being named after Kirby yet.

Good issue, overall. The war scenes hammer home just how monstrous the war is, while the juxtaposed baby scenes are, for lack of a better word, really cute.
    Same here. Didn’t get the hidden meaning of naming the baby Jacob until Funky started calling him “Jack”. Of course Kirby’s really name was Jacob Kurtzberg.

“That’s my Jack! He’s the king!”

Such a great issue.

Oh shit, that’s heartbreaking. But it would add a brand new wrinkle to the New Gods mythology. They’re doomed to make the same mistakes. Hopefully DC has already greenlit a sequel and we’ll get the results of the new Pact. Maybe the story will skip a few years ahead.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This issue was beautiful. I love it even more now that I know about the meta-textual layer that Tom King is writing a reconciliation between Stan Lee and Jack Kirby with Funky Flashman and baby Jack.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm still curious about what the image distortions indicate. I thought we'd have been told earlier on whether or not the events we're watching are actually happening. It would seem cruel at this point for his newborn to be part of an illusion, but either he's being watched somehow, perhaps through Darkseid's gaze, or it's all another trap he has to escape.