Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Well, looks like I have something else to add to my subscription list at my LCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I thought Orion was the Fourth World's Jesus.
    Nope, Orion's more like thor, the original thor, down to the red hair and protecting mankind. Unlike Thor though, he's a god of war. He likes to fight, but he always tries to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I actually generally really like the repetition. It feels poetic. Each instance has added layers of meaning (usually - I'm not really seeing the point of the "Stand up" stuff yet).

I hate Trump (as a conservative), but I have friends who like him, and they are not evil. I'm tired of artists trying to paint people I know are not evil as the most scummy horrible people on earth.
    I think I actually get the jest of the 'stand up routine'.
    And I think if Barda hadn't woke up and interjected, it would've continued ad infinitum.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Totally! I don't expect creators to cater to me or conservatives or...anyone but the stories they have to tell. But it feels like two things are happening in the last few years that really bother me. 1) That people who aren't completely on board with the writer's personal political beliefs aren't just different, but evil (see also: Bloom, in Snyder's Superheavy), and 2) writers are deliberately catering to their demographics with increasingly preachy comics. King is a better artist than those, but I don't see any sense in his interviews recently that he is interested in readers who disagree with him on these specific issues.
    I like that so far he's specifically saying he doesn't want to just go as simple as "Trump sucks!" or anything like that, but is more interested in tapping into the general anxiety of "This is not normal" which he is partially responsible for creating. Focusing on the feeling and less on the details should lead to a more interesting story. Ultimately it does depend on his skill as a writer. Judging from SoB I trust King a lot more than I do Snyder to write that type of comic.

And while I get that writers should seek out different perspectives (and this is where I may be getting too political), its hard for me to imagine a concrete argument for someone justifying what is going on now as "This is how things should be". I'm not saying that argument doesn't exist, but despite my best efforts I haven't heard one yet. I'll end with my opinion that this is distinct from what I understand are conservative and democratic values, which is a different (and sensible) argument, but I understand if you or others choose to ignore this paragraph entirely because this place is for comics discussion, not necessarily political discussion.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think I actually get the jest of the 'stand up routine'.
    And I think if Barda hadn't woke up and interjected, it would've continued ad infinitum.
    Oooh, can you explain? I want to get it, but so far, I'm a bit puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    And while I get that writers should seek out different perspectives (and this is where I may be getting too political), its hard for me to imagine a concrete argument for someone justifying what is going on now as "This is how things should be". I'm not saying that argument doesn't exist, but despite my best efforts I haven't heard one yet. I'll end with my opinion that this is distinct from what I understand are conservative and democratic values, which is a different (and sensible) argument, but I understand if you or others choose to ignore this paragraph entirely because this place is for comics discussion, not necessarily political discussion.
    My problem is that for people like me, we have seen the world very differently for the past 8 (or 24, depending on how far right you are) years, and there's been almost no sense that our perspective matters in fiction - comics, films, etc - during that time. The world always has problems, and art should attempt to address those problems. But to ignore people who see different problems than you is what I'm frustrated with right now.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

My problem is that for people like me, we have seen the world very differently for the past 8 (or 24, depending on how far right you are) years, and there's been almost no sense that our perspective matters in fiction - comics, films, etc - during that time. The world always has problems, and art should attempt to address those problems. But to ignore people who see different problems than you is what I'm frustrated with right now.
    Understandable. Its true that comic creatives tend to skew more to the left, which is funny considering that a lot of superheroes on their face are very conservative in nature.

I'd wager this book will be considerably better than his Batman.

BANNED

So Barda is back with Scott and Darksied War never happened? I'm cool...I'm just chalk this up to the Superman Reborn timeline shananegins

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    I'd wager this book will be considerably better than his Batman.
    I honestly think this is a better fit for him then Batman.

Im surprised Barda didn't just go bananas on Orion. Anyhoo, ya im looking forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly think this is a better fit for him then Batman.
    Yup, I strongly suspect that all the things that bug me with his batman I'm going to love here.

Like even the repetition fits so much better here.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm looking forward to this.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Im surprised Barda didn't just go bananas on Orion. Anyhoo, ya im looking forward to this one.
    Yeah, I was expecting her to grind him into paste as soon as she woke up. Though the way she handled it was still just as effective .

ohmygodohmygodohmygod. This is going to be amazing!
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

BANNED

Morrisons Darkseid? Take my money.