Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

I thought it was strange that the Anti-Life distortion appeared at the end when Scott and Barda were getting intimate. It usually only appears during times of fear, anger, desperation, etc. The happier moments have been distortion free.

Obviously so much of this story points to the possibility that all the events are not really happening. Either Scott died at the beginning and he’s in the Source or he’s being forced to battle the Lump in his mind. I just hope there is a way for some of this amazing story to be real and carry over into Mister Miracle and Barda’s next adventure. I would love to see Jacob aka King Jack actually exist.

I loved the scene with Funky showing he and Jacob’s story. “He supplies the endless imagination and I supply the words.” Would be cool if Jacob becomes the god of stories and imagination.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-04-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Double post
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-04-2018 at 12:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    does it feel like victim blaming when bards points out how Scott isn't as stable as he thinks he is when he tries to commit suicide and turns his attempt to end the war by sacrificing his son as incredibly selfish or are we to agree with barda in condemning Scott or is the whole thing in a very grey area with no right side?
    If the moral was easy to categorize then this plot wouldn't be worth reading. It does seem that Barda gave in too easy to jepardizing the baby.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 08-08-2018 at 09:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Double post
    I think we can all agree that Darksied is interfering with the forum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The nudity is less of an issue for me. Nothing is really seen except for a few butts, but it's not done with anything approaching an Austin Powers censoring. The lack of explicitness is here that we don't need to see Barda's nipples. The pig in me rationalizes by thinking a nine panel grid doesn't provide the space needed to fulfill my prurient interests.

The language is a point I agree with you on. Barda should be using the F word instead of $%^&$. She's upset about her husband's attempted suicide and hasn't let those emotions out yet. The censoring here is comic booky and sticks out almost painfully. Yes, this book isn't perfect, but it's still pretty f&%$ing good.

the only difference between those buts and the normal customes is the coloring

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

The nudity is less of an issue for me. Nothing is really seen except for a few butts, but it's not done with anything approaching an Austin Powers censoring. The lack of explicitness is here that we don't need to see Barda's nipples. The pig in me rationalizes by thinking a nine panel grid doesn't provide the space needed to fulfill my prurient interests.

The language is a point I agree with you on. Barda should be using the F word instead of $%^&$. She's upset about her husband's attempted suicide and hasn't let those emotions out yet. The censoring here is comic booky and sticks out almost painfully. Yes, this book isn't perfect, but it's still pretty f&%$ing good.
    Yeah, fair enough, re: your first point. The nudity is definitely much less of a problem than the censored swearing, which really looks out of place in a mature-readers comic. It's like bleeping out swearing in an R-rated movie. It's actually more that the censoring of the swearing that led me to assume that the nudity was being censored for the same reason - this weirdly American, puritanical double standard that persists in comics of grotesque violence: sweet; a nipple and a naughty word: X-rated.

And, actually, this book is about as close to perfect as anything I've read over the past few years. This is precisely why I'm so up in arms about the random censorship. Mister Miracle is everything an "adult" superhero comic book should be - beautifully crafted, emotionally complex, psychologically rich - so having some Wertham-era censorship thrown in for no reason just totally undermines what King and Gerads are going for here.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    There's a difference between censorship and restraint. I think King is (mostly) exercising restraint, not being censored.

I want the stories that are told to be in line with content. I was reading some of Geoff Johns early JSA stories last night, and man, there was a massive disconnect between story and content. The story was supposed to be a fun adventure about family and bonding, but even though it was all kept off screen or blurred, the violence was incredibly nasty. I want to avoid that kind of thing - if you're going to tell a story with that kind of violence, I want the story itself to be dark and serious.
    Yeah, but I'm agreeing with you entirely on your second paragraph. Take out all the violence, sex and swearing, and you're still left with a book that is clearly and purposefully aimed squarely at adults. It's an adult story so, by your very logic, it shouldn't shy away from adult content when neccessary. I very, very much doubt that Tom King is responsible for having the swear words censored. He and Mitch Gerads may well have decided to be a bit more discreet in terms of nudity, which is fine, but I can't imagine that he wanted distracting comic-book swearing symbols to take the place of very pointed dialogue that he wrote in the first place.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Looks like the final two issues have been pushed back a second time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Looks like the final two issues have been pushed back a second time.
    They are going to ruin the suspense of the conclusion if they push t off to long.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

To be fair, I don't think issue #11 was going to come out 3 weeks after #10.

But really, I don't really care. It's well worth the wait.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Great issue. I loved the Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and Galactus part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    To be fair, I don't think issue #11 was going to come out 3 weeks after #10.

But really, I don't really care. It's well worth the wait.
    The lateness has been an issue (pun unintended). But they've been relatively short even if it seems as if we're being nickle and dimed with them. Week or two here; week or two there and pretty soon we're talking about a real delay.

It IS certainly worth the wait though.

BANNED

The lateness has been an issue (pun unintended). But they've been relatively short even if it seems as if we're being nickle and dimed with them. Week or two here; week or two there and pretty soon we're talking about a real delay.

Worth the wait, no doubt. But the wait for this last issue really put a damper on the experience for me. I was really pented up to read 10 after the stunning end to issue 9, which was such a cliff hanger. But when you make one wait to long, the effect wears off. I mean, you can only remain emotionally tnese so long.

It sort of reminds me how the last issue of Planetary was such a disapointment because it was nearly a year late

BANNED

Worth the wait, no doubt. But the wait for this last issue really put a damper on the experience for me. I was really pented up to read 10 after the stunning end to issue 9, which was such a cliff hanger. But when you make one wait to long, the effect wears off. I mean, you can only remain emotionally tnese so long.

It sort of reminds me how the last issue of Planetary was such a disapointment because it was nearly a year late

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    If the moral was easy to categorize then this plot wouldn't be worth reading. It does seem that Barda gave in too easy to jepardizing the baby.
    the obvious aside it seems to be close to victim blaming but no worries about the couple as sanctuary should fix them if it's real.

BANNED

the big question is WHY in issue 5 that Scott Free is driving from the wrong side of the automobile through out the issue..